Government expects 85,000 Russian travellers to go on Cuba holidays in 2012
Thanks to new airline operations being established and offering better transport options between Cuba to Russia, Cuba's Ministry of Tourism expects to welcome some 85,000 Russian visitors arriving to the island to enjoy cultural Cuba holidays in 2012.
Cuba is expecting to welcome more Russian tourists than ever this year, with the country's Ministry of Tourism anticipating a whopping total of 85,000 Russian travellers arriving to the island's sunkissed shores in 2012.
This expectation is partly due to the new direct air routes that have been recently established between Russia and Cuba thanks to the hard work of tour operators on both ends and the promotional campaigns that are being currently reinforced in Russia. As as a result of all these elements combined, Cuba foresees a drastic increase in arrivals in 2012 with a massive inflow of Russian travellers expected to go on Cuba holidays to enjoy not only the sun and beach but also the culture and the historical ties of the communist island with the former Soviet Union.
According to last year's tourism figures, the Russian travel market in Cuba grew by a whopping 140 per cent, after a total of 78,468 Russians enjoyed sunny Cuba holidays in what is the largest and most iconic of Caribbean destinations. While Cuba is captivating to most tourists it holds a special appeal for Russians due to their political ties during the 60s, 70s and 80s, with three decades of close friendship betweent the two governments and with the island still holding remnants of the Russian presence (as a curiousity Cuban children still watch Russian cartoons played on national TV).
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
With more affluent travellers than ever, Russia is beting strong in Cuba and maintaining that historical that relationship that has now contributed to the boom of curious Russian travellers interested in visiting the Caribbean nation and learning about its past and present.
Xiomara Martinez Iglesias, Vice Minister of Tourism for International Relations, Commerce and Promotion revealed to Prensa Latina that during the new Cuba travel campaign being promoted in Russia, the Cuban tourism representatives would attend various tourism fairs in Russia and some countries from Eastern Europe.
Image by: *michael sweet*, on Flickr
She added that this Saturday, she would be leading a team of directives and business partners in Cuba's tourism industry which would be present in a stand at Russia's MITT Moscow Fair 2012 promoting Cuba holidays among Russian travellers and establishing important business ties and contacts for future negotiations.
The Vice Minister also revealed that at present, in order to push the tourism travel market, new direct Cuba flights were being serviced by Transaero and Aeroflot, as well as airlines from France and Holland (through Air France and KLM) connecting Moscow with direct routes to Havana.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...