Government expects 85,000 Russian travellers to go on Cuba holidays in 2012
Thanks to new airline operations being established and offering better transport options between Cuba to Russia, Cuba's Ministry of Tourism expects to welcome some 85,000 Russian visitors arriving to the island to enjoy cultural Cuba holidays in 2012.
Cuba is expecting to welcome more Russian tourists than ever this year, with the country's Ministry of Tourism anticipating a whopping total of 85,000 Russian travellers arriving to the island's sunkissed shores in 2012.
This expectation is partly due to the new direct air routes that have been recently established between Russia and Cuba thanks to the hard work of tour operators on both ends and the promotional campaigns that are being currently reinforced in Russia. As as a result of all these elements combined, Cuba foresees a drastic increase in arrivals in 2012 with a massive inflow of Russian travellers expected to go on Cuba holidays to enjoy not only the sun and beach but also the culture and the historical ties of the communist island with the former Soviet Union.
According to last year's tourism figures, the Russian travel market in Cuba grew by a whopping 140 per cent, after a total of 78,468 Russians enjoyed sunny Cuba holidays in what is the largest and most iconic of Caribbean destinations. While Cuba is captivating to most tourists it holds a special appeal for Russians due to their political ties during the 60s, 70s and 80s, with three decades of close friendship betweent the two governments and with the island still holding remnants of the Russian presence (as a curiousity Cuban children still watch Russian cartoons played on national TV).
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
With more affluent travellers than ever, Russia is beting strong in Cuba and maintaining that historical that relationship that has now contributed to the boom of curious Russian travellers interested in visiting the Caribbean nation and learning about its past and present.
Xiomara Martinez Iglesias, Vice Minister of Tourism for International Relations, Commerce and Promotion revealed to Prensa Latina that during the new Cuba travel campaign being promoted in Russia, the Cuban tourism representatives would attend various tourism fairs in Russia and some countries from Eastern Europe.
Image by: *michael sweet*, on Flickr
She added that this Saturday, she would be leading a team of directives and business partners in Cuba's tourism industry which would be present in a stand at Russia's MITT Moscow Fair 2012 promoting Cuba holidays among Russian travellers and establishing important business ties and contacts for future negotiations.
The Vice Minister also revealed that at present, in order to push the tourism travel market, new direct Cuba flights were being serviced by Transaero and Aeroflot, as well as airlines from France and Holland (through Air France and KLM) connecting Moscow with direct routes to Havana.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Stay entertained with daily activities, land sports, water sports and lively shows
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...