Government expects 85,000 Russian travellers to go on Cuba holidays in 2012
Thanks to new airline operations being established and offering better transport options between Cuba to Russia, Cuba's Ministry of Tourism expects to welcome some 85,000 Russian visitors arriving to the island to enjoy cultural Cuba holidays in 2012.
Cuba is expecting to welcome more Russian tourists than ever this year, with the country's Ministry of Tourism anticipating a whopping total of 85,000 Russian travellers arriving to the island's sunkissed shores in 2012.
This expectation is partly due to the new direct air routes that have been recently established between Russia and Cuba thanks to the hard work of tour operators on both ends and the promotional campaigns that are being currently reinforced in Russia. As as a result of all these elements combined, Cuba foresees a drastic increase in arrivals in 2012 with a massive inflow of Russian travellers expected to go on Cuba holidays to enjoy not only the sun and beach but also the culture and the historical ties of the communist island with the former Soviet Union.
According to last year's tourism figures, the Russian travel market in Cuba grew by a whopping 140 per cent, after a total of 78,468 Russians enjoyed sunny Cuba holidays in what is the largest and most iconic of Caribbean destinations. While Cuba is captivating to most tourists it holds a special appeal for Russians due to their political ties during the 60s, 70s and 80s, with three decades of close friendship betweent the two governments and with the island still holding remnants of the Russian presence (as a curiousity Cuban children still watch Russian cartoons played on national TV).
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
With more affluent travellers than ever, Russia is beting strong in Cuba and maintaining that historical that relationship that has now contributed to the boom of curious Russian travellers interested in visiting the Caribbean nation and learning about its past and present.
Xiomara Martinez Iglesias, Vice Minister of Tourism for International Relations, Commerce and Promotion revealed to Prensa Latina that during the new Cuba travel campaign being promoted in Russia, the Cuban tourism representatives would attend various tourism fairs in Russia and some countries from Eastern Europe.
Image by: *michael sweet*, on Flickr
She added that this Saturday, she would be leading a team of directives and business partners in Cuba's tourism industry which would be present in a stand at Russia's MITT Moscow Fair 2012 promoting Cuba holidays among Russian travellers and establishing important business ties and contacts for future negotiations.
The Vice Minister also revealed that at present, in order to push the tourism travel market, new direct Cuba flights were being serviced by Transaero and Aeroflot, as well as airlines from France and Holland (through Air France and KLM) connecting Moscow with direct routes to Havana.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...