Government expects 85,000 Russian travellers to go on Cuba holidays in 2012
Thanks to new airline operations being established and offering better transport options between Cuba to Russia, Cuba's Ministry of Tourism expects to welcome some 85,000 Russian visitors arriving to the island to enjoy cultural Cuba holidays in 2012.
Cuba is expecting to welcome more Russian tourists than ever this year, with the country's Ministry of Tourism anticipating a whopping total of 85,000 Russian travellers arriving to the island's sunkissed shores in 2012.
This expectation is partly due to the new direct air routes that have been recently established between Russia and Cuba thanks to the hard work of tour operators on both ends and the promotional campaigns that are being currently reinforced in Russia. As as a result of all these elements combined, Cuba foresees a drastic increase in arrivals in 2012 with a massive inflow of Russian travellers expected to go on Cuba holidays to enjoy not only the sun and beach but also the culture and the historical ties of the communist island with the former Soviet Union.
According to last year's tourism figures, the Russian travel market in Cuba grew by a whopping 140 per cent, after a total of 78,468 Russians enjoyed sunny Cuba holidays in what is the largest and most iconic of Caribbean destinations. While Cuba is captivating to most tourists it holds a special appeal for Russians due to their political ties during the 60s, 70s and 80s, with three decades of close friendship betweent the two governments and with the island still holding remnants of the Russian presence (as a curiousity Cuban children still watch Russian cartoons played on national TV).
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
With more affluent travellers than ever, Russia is beting strong in Cuba and maintaining that historical that relationship that has now contributed to the boom of curious Russian travellers interested in visiting the Caribbean nation and learning about its past and present.
Xiomara Martinez Iglesias, Vice Minister of Tourism for International Relations, Commerce and Promotion revealed to Prensa Latina that during the new Cuba travel campaign being promoted in Russia, the Cuban tourism representatives would attend various tourism fairs in Russia and some countries from Eastern Europe.
Image by: *michael sweet*, on Flickr
She added that this Saturday, she would be leading a team of directives and business partners in Cuba's tourism industry which would be present in a stand at Russia's MITT Moscow Fair 2012 promoting Cuba holidays among Russian travellers and establishing important business ties and contacts for future negotiations.
The Vice Minister also revealed that at present, in order to push the tourism travel market, new direct Cuba flights were being serviced by Transaero and Aeroflot, as well as airlines from France and Holland (through Air France and KLM) connecting Moscow with direct routes to Havana.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...