South America sending more travellers to Cuba holidays than ever
According to a recent report published by Prensa Latina and the Office of Information and Touristic Promotion of Cuba for Cono Sur, more South American travellers than ever are heading to Cuba holidays to enjoy the beach, the sun and the rich culture.
Driven by the strong Argentinean market, for which new flight operations to Cuba have been established during the high winter season, South America has been an important source of tourists for the island's tourism industry.
With more South American tourists than ever taking Cuba holidays, this is a growing market that shows no sign of slowing down any time soon with a whopping 24.31 per cent growth this winter season compared to the same period in 2011, the year during which the region achieved its second consecutive record in arrivals to Cuba.
With over 47,000 South American visitors having enjoyed holidays in Cuba during this winter season, the island is gearing up to welcome more holidaymakers from the southern region during the following months.
According to data published this week by the Office of Information and Touristic Promotion of Cuba for Cono Sur (as they refer to the South American region), the six South American countries that have climbed their way to the top in terms of tourism arrivals, confirming themselves as strong emerging source markets for the Caribbean island, have also shown an upward trend since the beginning of the year, with most cases showing strong intentions for further travel plans to he island scheduled for the following months, which has been verified thanks some surveys and studies conducted by local travel agencies and tour operators servicing those markets.
The official report, revealed by Prensa Latina highlights the rapid increase in South American travellers going on Cuba holidays and explains how this increasing trend has been pushed and kept in the number one position thanks to the growing Argentinean market, which sent over 29,000 tourists to Cuba between January and the first week in March, marking a growth of almost 40 per cent when compared against last year's figures during the same period and a 86 percent when compared to 2010 figures.
For the Argentinean market in specific, between January and April 2012, the largest air operation existing at the moment has been established for the purpose of connecting Argentine passengers to the Caribbean island, with a full set of direct routes operating between the two countries and growing. Currently as many as 8 weekly flights to Cuba connecting Buenos Aires to Havana, Varadero, Cayo Coco, Cayo Largo, Santa Clara and Holguin are operating, with further plans to establish more routes in the future.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Luis Aguilera, director for the Office of Information and Touristic Promotion of Cuba for Cono Sur, highlighted the fact that airlines such as TACA-Avianca, Copa, Andes and Lan Peru are showing strong interest in keeping and adding to their current operations which will expand the capacity for more passengers from South America to benefit from direct Cuba flights taking them to straight Cuba holidays.
Last year over 130,000 South American tourists arrived to Cuba, setting a new and historical record with Argentina leading the way sending almost 75,000 holidaymakers to the island. Other emerging source markets currently working on sending more tourists on holidays to Cuba include Chile, Peru, Brazil and Uruguay.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Pernik Hotel is a comfortable tourist hotel located in a quiet green area near downtown Holguin. This hotel is close to...