South America sending more travellers to Cuba holidays than ever
According to a recent report published by Prensa Latina and the Office of Information and Touristic Promotion of Cuba for Cono Sur, more South American travellers than ever are heading to Cuba holidays to enjoy the beach, the sun and the rich culture.
Driven by the strong Argentinean market, for which new flight operations to Cuba have been established during the high winter season, South America has been an important source of tourists for the island's tourism industry.
With more South American tourists than ever taking Cuba holidays, this is a growing market that shows no sign of slowing down any time soon with a whopping 24.31 per cent growth this winter season compared to the same period in 2011, the year during which the region achieved its second consecutive record in arrivals to Cuba.
With over 47,000 South American visitors having enjoyed holidays in Cuba during this winter season, the island is gearing up to welcome more holidaymakers from the southern region during the following months.
According to data published this week by the Office of Information and Touristic Promotion of Cuba for Cono Sur (as they refer to the South American region), the six South American countries that have climbed their way to the top in terms of tourism arrivals, confirming themselves as strong emerging source markets for the Caribbean island, have also shown an upward trend since the beginning of the year, with most cases showing strong intentions for further travel plans to he island scheduled for the following months, which has been verified thanks some surveys and studies conducted by local travel agencies and tour operators servicing those markets.
The official report, revealed by Prensa Latina highlights the rapid increase in South American travellers going on Cuba holidays and explains how this increasing trend has been pushed and kept in the number one position thanks to the growing Argentinean market, which sent over 29,000 tourists to Cuba between January and the first week in March, marking a growth of almost 40 per cent when compared against last year's figures during the same period and a 86 percent when compared to 2010 figures.
For the Argentinean market in specific, between January and April 2012, the largest air operation existing at the moment has been established for the purpose of connecting Argentine passengers to the Caribbean island, with a full set of direct routes operating between the two countries and growing. Currently as many as 8 weekly flights to Cuba connecting Buenos Aires to Havana, Varadero, Cayo Coco, Cayo Largo, Santa Clara and Holguin are operating, with further plans to establish more routes in the future.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Luis Aguilera, director for the Office of Information and Touristic Promotion of Cuba for Cono Sur, highlighted the fact that airlines such as TACA-Avianca, Copa, Andes and Lan Peru are showing strong interest in keeping and adding to their current operations which will expand the capacity for more passengers from South America to benefit from direct Cuba flights taking them to straight Cuba holidays.
Last year over 130,000 South American tourists arrived to Cuba, setting a new and historical record with Argentina leading the way sending almost 75,000 holidaymakers to the island. Other emerging source markets currently working on sending more tourists on holidays to Cuba include Chile, Peru, Brazil and Uruguay.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...