South America sending more travellers to Cuba holidays than ever
According to a recent report published by Prensa Latina and the Office of Information and Touristic Promotion of Cuba for Cono Sur, more South American travellers than ever are heading to Cuba holidays to enjoy the beach, the sun and the rich culture.
Driven by the strong Argentinean market, for which new flight operations to Cuba have been established during the high winter season, South America has been an important source of tourists for the island's tourism industry.
With more South American tourists than ever taking Cuba holidays, this is a growing market that shows no sign of slowing down any time soon with a whopping 24.31 per cent growth this winter season compared to the same period in 2011, the year during which the region achieved its second consecutive record in arrivals to Cuba.
With over 47,000 South American visitors having enjoyed holidays in Cuba during this winter season, the island is gearing up to welcome more holidaymakers from the southern region during the following months.
According to data published this week by the Office of Information and Touristic Promotion of Cuba for Cono Sur (as they refer to the South American region), the six South American countries that have climbed their way to the top in terms of tourism arrivals, confirming themselves as strong emerging source markets for the Caribbean island, have also shown an upward trend since the beginning of the year, with most cases showing strong intentions for further travel plans to he island scheduled for the following months, which has been verified thanks some surveys and studies conducted by local travel agencies and tour operators servicing those markets.
The official report, revealed by Prensa Latina highlights the rapid increase in South American travellers going on Cuba holidays and explains how this increasing trend has been pushed and kept in the number one position thanks to the growing Argentinean market, which sent over 29,000 tourists to Cuba between January and the first week in March, marking a growth of almost 40 per cent when compared against last year's figures during the same period and a 86 percent when compared to 2010 figures.
For the Argentinean market in specific, between January and April 2012, the largest air operation existing at the moment has been established for the purpose of connecting Argentine passengers to the Caribbean island, with a full set of direct routes operating between the two countries and growing. Currently as many as 8 weekly flights to Cuba connecting Buenos Aires to Havana, Varadero, Cayo Coco, Cayo Largo, Santa Clara and Holguin are operating, with further plans to establish more routes in the future.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Luis Aguilera, director for the Office of Information and Touristic Promotion of Cuba for Cono Sur, highlighted the fact that airlines such as TACA-Avianca, Copa, Andes and Lan Peru are showing strong interest in keeping and adding to their current operations which will expand the capacity for more passengers from South America to benefit from direct Cuba flights taking them to straight Cuba holidays.
Last year over 130,000 South American tourists arrived to Cuba, setting a new and historical record with Argentina leading the way sending almost 75,000 holidaymakers to the island. Other emerging source markets currently working on sending more tourists on holidays to Cuba include Chile, Peru, Brazil and Uruguay.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...