Seychelles Carnival promotes sustainable tourism in 2012
Hosted by Seychelles and La Reunion in Seychelles, the Carnival International de Victoria took advantage of the festive opportunity to promote sustainable tourism. Both tropical islands made clear their intention to make Seychelles holidays eco-friendly.
This year, the beautiful and animated carnival celebrations in the Seychelles have sent an important message concerning one of the country´s major sources of income: tourism. The Carnival International de Victoria hosted by Seychelles and La Reunion Seychelles, announced loud and clear the two island’s intention of making Seychelles holidays eco-friendly, by promoting sustainable tourism.
The CEO of the Seychelles Tourism Board, Alain St. Ange, was head of the island’s annual carnival in 2012 as he rode on a battery-operated SEGWAY. He was followed by an electric four-wheel drive Jeep driven by the GM of MAIA Resort of the Seychelles, Frederic Vidal. Along with Mr. Vidal in the Jeep were Pascal Viroleau, the Head of La Reunion Tourism (IRT), Marie Payet, Miss La Reunion and Mariana Tirant, the Seychelles Carnival’s Face, on the back seat of the electric vehicle.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Their purpose, by riding in these environment-friendly transportations, was influencing the tourism industry towards sustainable tourism. They also hoped to attract more tourists to take holidays in Seychelles by offering them, not only a wonderful experience, but a guarantee that the island will do everything within its reach to preserve the natural beauty of the vegetation and fauna, without harming the environment.
Alain St Ange, Frederic Vidal, Pascal Virleau, Marie Payet and Mariana Tirant carted a banner that clearly stated “Carinval Time in Seychelles supported Sustainable Tourism.” The amazing, battery-operated, four-wheel drive Jeep is the first of its kind and was made in France. The vehicle showed off its great functioning, on its drive around the town of Victoria, while making absolutely no noise.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The battery-operated, four-wheel vehicle is completely eco-friendly and has been in the Seychelles for the last two months as a prop to generate more support for the Seychelles Tourism Board. The Board’s most pressing goal is to promote the idea of sustainable tourism around the island, so that their attempt to renovate Seychelles hotels, and make them environment-friendly, as well as offer a whole new eco-friendly holidays package, is successful.
Only a couple of months ago, the island’s Tourism Board launched its own sustainable label for the Seychelles tourism industry. The members of the Board, as well as all environment-concerned travellers, are excited and anxious to see the results of this new project which will not only report more income for the country, but take care of the island’s natural beauty.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...