Seychelles Carnival promotes sustainable tourism in 2012
Hosted by Seychelles and La Reunion in Seychelles, the Carnival International de Victoria took advantage of the festive opportunity to promote sustainable tourism. Both tropical islands made clear their intention to make Seychelles holidays eco-friendly.
This year, the beautiful and animated carnival celebrations in the Seychelles have sent an important message concerning one of the country´s major sources of income: tourism. The Carnival International de Victoria hosted by Seychelles and La Reunion Seychelles, announced loud and clear the two island’s intention of making Seychelles holidays eco-friendly, by promoting sustainable tourism.
The CEO of the Seychelles Tourism Board, Alain St. Ange, was head of the island’s annual carnival in 2012 as he rode on a battery-operated SEGWAY. He was followed by an electric four-wheel drive Jeep driven by the GM of MAIA Resort of the Seychelles, Frederic Vidal. Along with Mr. Vidal in the Jeep were Pascal Viroleau, the Head of La Reunion Tourism (IRT), Marie Payet, Miss La Reunion and Mariana Tirant, the Seychelles Carnival’s Face, on the back seat of the electric vehicle.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Their purpose, by riding in these environment-friendly transportations, was influencing the tourism industry towards sustainable tourism. They also hoped to attract more tourists to take holidays in Seychelles by offering them, not only a wonderful experience, but a guarantee that the island will do everything within its reach to preserve the natural beauty of the vegetation and fauna, without harming the environment.
Alain St Ange, Frederic Vidal, Pascal Virleau, Marie Payet and Mariana Tirant carted a banner that clearly stated “Carinval Time in Seychelles supported Sustainable Tourism.” The amazing, battery-operated, four-wheel drive Jeep is the first of its kind and was made in France. The vehicle showed off its great functioning, on its drive around the town of Victoria, while making absolutely no noise.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The battery-operated, four-wheel vehicle is completely eco-friendly and has been in the Seychelles for the last two months as a prop to generate more support for the Seychelles Tourism Board. The Board’s most pressing goal is to promote the idea of sustainable tourism around the island, so that their attempt to renovate Seychelles hotels, and make them environment-friendly, as well as offer a whole new eco-friendly holidays package, is successful.
Only a couple of months ago, the island’s Tourism Board launched its own sustainable label for the Seychelles tourism industry. The members of the Board, as well as all environment-concerned travellers, are excited and anxious to see the results of this new project which will not only report more income for the country, but take care of the island’s natural beauty.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...