Seychelles Carnival promotes sustainable tourism in 2012
Hosted by Seychelles and La Reunion in Seychelles, the Carnival International de Victoria took advantage of the festive opportunity to promote sustainable tourism. Both tropical islands made clear their intention to make Seychelles holidays eco-friendly.
This year, the beautiful and animated carnival celebrations in the Seychelles have sent an important message concerning one of the country´s major sources of income: tourism. The Carnival International de Victoria hosted by Seychelles and La Reunion Seychelles, announced loud and clear the two island’s intention of making Seychelles holidays eco-friendly, by promoting sustainable tourism.
The CEO of the Seychelles Tourism Board, Alain St. Ange, was head of the island’s annual carnival in 2012 as he rode on a battery-operated SEGWAY. He was followed by an electric four-wheel drive Jeep driven by the GM of MAIA Resort of the Seychelles, Frederic Vidal. Along with Mr. Vidal in the Jeep were Pascal Viroleau, the Head of La Reunion Tourism (IRT), Marie Payet, Miss La Reunion and Mariana Tirant, the Seychelles Carnival’s Face, on the back seat of the electric vehicle.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Their purpose, by riding in these environment-friendly transportations, was influencing the tourism industry towards sustainable tourism. They also hoped to attract more tourists to take holidays in Seychelles by offering them, not only a wonderful experience, but a guarantee that the island will do everything within its reach to preserve the natural beauty of the vegetation and fauna, without harming the environment.
Alain St Ange, Frederic Vidal, Pascal Virleau, Marie Payet and Mariana Tirant carted a banner that clearly stated “Carinval Time in Seychelles supported Sustainable Tourism.” The amazing, battery-operated, four-wheel drive Jeep is the first of its kind and was made in France. The vehicle showed off its great functioning, on its drive around the town of Victoria, while making absolutely no noise.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The battery-operated, four-wheel vehicle is completely eco-friendly and has been in the Seychelles for the last two months as a prop to generate more support for the Seychelles Tourism Board. The Board’s most pressing goal is to promote the idea of sustainable tourism around the island, so that their attempt to renovate Seychelles hotels, and make them environment-friendly, as well as offer a whole new eco-friendly holidays package, is successful.
Only a couple of months ago, the island’s Tourism Board launched its own sustainable label for the Seychelles tourism industry. The members of the Board, as well as all environment-concerned travellers, are excited and anxious to see the results of this new project which will not only report more income for the country, but take care of the island’s natural beauty.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj mahal of Agra
- Perfect tour to introduce you to India, Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour.
- Experience the street life of Delhi, Delhi is a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Incredible January exclusive - Receive a free upgrade to the next room type when booking with The Holiday Place
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
A warm welcome awaits you behind the striking geometric façade of Holiday Inn Express Dubai-Jumeirah, 20 minutes by taxi...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...