Seychelles Carnival promotes sustainable tourism in 2012
Hosted by Seychelles and La Reunion in Seychelles, the Carnival International de Victoria took advantage of the festive opportunity to promote sustainable tourism. Both tropical islands made clear their intention to make Seychelles holidays eco-friendly.
This year, the beautiful and animated carnival celebrations in the Seychelles have sent an important message concerning one of the country´s major sources of income: tourism. The Carnival International de Victoria hosted by Seychelles and La Reunion Seychelles, announced loud and clear the two island’s intention of making Seychelles holidays eco-friendly, by promoting sustainable tourism.
The CEO of the Seychelles Tourism Board, Alain St. Ange, was head of the island’s annual carnival in 2012 as he rode on a battery-operated SEGWAY. He was followed by an electric four-wheel drive Jeep driven by the GM of MAIA Resort of the Seychelles, Frederic Vidal. Along with Mr. Vidal in the Jeep were Pascal Viroleau, the Head of La Reunion Tourism (IRT), Marie Payet, Miss La Reunion and Mariana Tirant, the Seychelles Carnival’s Face, on the back seat of the electric vehicle.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Their purpose, by riding in these environment-friendly transportations, was influencing the tourism industry towards sustainable tourism. They also hoped to attract more tourists to take holidays in Seychelles by offering them, not only a wonderful experience, but a guarantee that the island will do everything within its reach to preserve the natural beauty of the vegetation and fauna, without harming the environment.
Alain St Ange, Frederic Vidal, Pascal Virleau, Marie Payet and Mariana Tirant carted a banner that clearly stated “Carinval Time in Seychelles supported Sustainable Tourism.” The amazing, battery-operated, four-wheel drive Jeep is the first of its kind and was made in France. The vehicle showed off its great functioning, on its drive around the town of Victoria, while making absolutely no noise.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The battery-operated, four-wheel vehicle is completely eco-friendly and has been in the Seychelles for the last two months as a prop to generate more support for the Seychelles Tourism Board. The Board’s most pressing goal is to promote the idea of sustainable tourism around the island, so that their attempt to renovate Seychelles hotels, and make them environment-friendly, as well as offer a whole new eco-friendly holidays package, is successful.
Only a couple of months ago, the island’s Tourism Board launched its own sustainable label for the Seychelles tourism industry. The members of the Board, as well as all environment-concerned travellers, are excited and anxious to see the results of this new project which will not only report more income for the country, but take care of the island’s natural beauty.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- The first 30 bookings for travel in September or October will also get free upgrades to Sea View rooms in both hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...