Travellers planning Caribbean holidays face yet another hike in UK APD tax
Travellers departing from the UK for their Caribbean holidays face yet another APD tax increase in April 2012. The Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) continues to oppose the tax which is said to have a crippling effect on the region's tourism industry.
Caribbean islands are bracing themselves for the fall out of yet another rise in the controversial air passenger duty tax (APD) with the latest increase set to hit travellers in April 2012.
The APD applies to passengers booking flights to the Caribbean departing from United Kingdom airports and will also impact on passengers who have booked their 2012 Caribbean holidays before the announcement of the new rates. The rise will mean increases of as much as eight per cent in ticket prices as the duty moves from £75 to £81 for economy class tickets and £150 to £162 for high classes. The Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) lobbied extensively in 2011, to no avail, for UK officials to remove the tax or at the very least undertake a revision of the current band structure.
The CTO has heavily criticised the APD’s complex four band system which it is has described as discriminatory and disadvantageous for Caribbean holidays. Under the current system there is arguably an inherent bias towards destinations located west of East coast US destinations over Caribbean islands. Despite the fact that these U.S. destinations are further away, travellers incur a higher APD tax for direct flights to the Caribbean.
Image by: *michael sweet*, on Flickr
The UK government’s announcement in late 2011 confirming that they would not only continue with the tax system but increase it in April 2012 was greeted with disbelief from Caribbean tourism officials, with the head of the CTO, Ricky Skerritt, describing the announcement as a “slap in the face” for the region. Vincent Vanderpool-Wallace, Minister of Tourism and Aviation in the Bahamas went on to state, “I think certainly everybody in the Caribbean is disappointed that some of the changes that were expected didn’t come into effect. I think at the very least the Caribbean region thought they should have been made equal, in terms of the cost of the tax, with the United States. At the very least the Caribbean was hoping that there would be some revision to the banding”.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
In February 2012 the Jamaican Tourism Board (JTB) reported an 8 per cent decline in the number of people who took Jamaica holidays between May and January 2012 compared to the same period in 2010/2011. Minister of tourism Dr. Wykeham McNeill attributed part of the decline to a weakening of Europe as a source market as a result of the APD. In order to counteract the negative effects of the duty, the JTB has stepped up its marketing in the UK with an announcement that it will begin advertising on UK television “for the first time in many years” stated Dr. McNeill. Additionally, many feel that the presence of well-known Jamaican athlete and sports personality, Usian Bolt at the London 2012 Olympic Games will serve boost the profile of Jamaica and raise interest in the Caribbean island a holiday destination.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic Varadero City Tour
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning varadero beach, getting the best of both during Easter 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre Easter holiday package deal
- The elegant distrrict of Miramar and the pristine beach of Varadero provide the perfect settings for exploring the charm and beauty of Cuba
- Boasts facilities, activities, excursions and entertainment for every taste
- A spacious, classy and comfortable feel
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...