U.S. Treasury Denies Licence for Florida Ferry Service to Cuba
After waiting two years to find out if it can provide a ferry service for Cuba holidays, Havana Ferry Partners has been told that its application has been denied, with the U.S. Treasury agency saying the service is "beyond the scope of current policy."
A Fort-Lauderdale company has found out that its application to provide a ferry service for American travellers between the United States and Cuba has been denied.
Havana Ferry Partners submitted their application two years ago and last month, the company publicly complained about the delay in the decision which would provide a cheaper alternative to flights for American residents planning Cuba holidays.
The company received a letter from the U.S. Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control on 27th February, 2012, saying that the ferry service to Cuba is "beyond the scope of current policy."
"We're not going away," said Leonard Moecklin Sr. a managing partner of Havana Ferry.
The firm’s executives are planning to appeal against the decision because they cannot understand why the U.S. authorities permit charter flights to Cuba but not ferries when the current U.S. regulations allow both "aircraft and vessels".
Several U.S. and international companies submitted applications to provide holidays to Cuba via ferry for Americans under the new relaxed Cuba travel restrictions. These include Orlando's United Caribbean Lines, Paris' Unishipping and Spain's Balearia.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Before the decades-long embargo, tourists were able to travel to the communist island via a ferry service from Florida, and since President Obama eased travel restrictions for U.S. residents last year, many companies are keen to resume this charter service.
Havana Ferry Partners say that its service could create a new route for Cuba holidays under the new regulations, as well as hundreds of full-time and part-time jobs in the Florida.
"The market is waiting for this ferry to open up," Moecklin added. "We can help people that can't afford a $500 flight and the cost of overweight luggage."
The new law enables Americans to take holidays to Cuba for religious, academic, cultural, educations and professional purposes, and Cuban-Americans can now freely travel to their homeland as often as they desire, with no limitations.
U.S. Airports that are now permitted to operate charter Cuba flights include Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, Tampa International Airport, Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, O’Hare in Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and San Juan.
Cuba is a Caribbean island located east of Mexico. The country boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, tropical nature parks, luxury and mid-range Cuba hotels and resorts, and cities, towns and villages that are rich in culture and history.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...