U.S. Treasury Denies Licence for Florida Ferry Service to Cuba
After waiting two years to find out if it can provide a ferry service for Cuba holidays, Havana Ferry Partners has been told that its application has been denied, with the U.S. Treasury agency saying the service is "beyond the scope of current policy."
A Fort-Lauderdale company has found out that its application to provide a ferry service for American travellers between the United States and Cuba has been denied.
Havana Ferry Partners submitted their application two years ago and last month, the company publicly complained about the delay in the decision which would provide a cheaper alternative to flights for American residents planning Cuba holidays.
The company received a letter from the U.S. Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control on 27th February, 2012, saying that the ferry service to Cuba is "beyond the scope of current policy."
"We're not going away," said Leonard Moecklin Sr. a managing partner of Havana Ferry.
The firm’s executives are planning to appeal against the decision because they cannot understand why the U.S. authorities permit charter flights to Cuba but not ferries when the current U.S. regulations allow both "aircraft and vessels".
Several U.S. and international companies submitted applications to provide holidays to Cuba via ferry for Americans under the new relaxed Cuba travel restrictions. These include Orlando's United Caribbean Lines, Paris' Unishipping and Spain's Balearia.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Before the decades-long embargo, tourists were able to travel to the communist island via a ferry service from Florida, and since President Obama eased travel restrictions for U.S. residents last year, many companies are keen to resume this charter service.
Havana Ferry Partners say that its service could create a new route for Cuba holidays under the new regulations, as well as hundreds of full-time and part-time jobs in the Florida.
"The market is waiting for this ferry to open up," Moecklin added. "We can help people that can't afford a $500 flight and the cost of overweight luggage."
The new law enables Americans to take holidays to Cuba for religious, academic, cultural, educations and professional purposes, and Cuban-Americans can now freely travel to their homeland as often as they desire, with no limitations.
U.S. Airports that are now permitted to operate charter Cuba flights include Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, Tampa International Airport, Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, O’Hare in Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and San Juan.
Cuba is a Caribbean island located east of Mexico. The country boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, tropical nature parks, luxury and mid-range Cuba hotels and resorts, and cities, towns and villages that are rich in culture and history.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...