Baltimore International Airport Postpones Cuba Flights until Autumn 2012
The weekly charter flight from Baltimore-Washington International Airport which was scheduled to start taking American tourists to their Cuba holidays later this month has been postponed until this autumn due to the lack of ticket sales.
The weekly charter service between Baltimore-Washington Thurgood Marshall International Airport and Havana has been postponed until autumn due to poor ticket sales.
The first flight was scheduled to take American travellers to their Cuba holidays on 21st March, 2012 but the route has only attracted six passengers despite the planned visit of Pope Benedict XVI to the Caribbean island on 26th March.
The head of the Florida-based travel agency, Island Travel and Tours, who arranged the new service, said that they will improve the publicity campaign and launch the flights to Cuba in October instead.
“We’ve had lots of calls and lots of interest, but that hasn’t translated into ticket sales,” explained William J. Hauf, the president of Island Travel and Tours. “We probably could have filled up the first flight, but we want to offer these flights on a weekly basis, and right now we weren’t confident we’d sell enough tickets for the second and third flights to cover a cost of $50,000 to $60,000 per flight.”
Image by: cseeman, on Flickr
The travel agency was confident that the relaxed Cuba travel restrictions and the Pope’s three-day visit would encourage travellers to book holidays in Cuba this month.
The Cuba flights had been promoted since January, 2012, but Hauf recognises that religious and educational organisations might have needed more time to plan Cuba holidays.
“We’re going to continue to promote this heavily so that when we begin [BWI] flights, probably in October, these groups will have had plenty of time to work it into their plans,” Hauf added.
Image by: Eden Viaggi, on Flickr
Last January, U.S. President Barack Obama eased travel restrictions for American residents and they will now be able to legally visit the Caribbean island for religious, cultural, educational, academic, agricultural or professional purposes.
The decades-long embargo has prohibited American travellers from going on holidays to Cuba and though travel restrictions still apply, many U.S. residents will be able to visit Cuba for the first time under the new rules. Cuban-Americans, who were once restricted to limited travel back to their homeland, are now allowed to freely return to Cuba under the new law.
Several new U.S. airports have been given the go-ahead to offer charter flights to Cuba including Tampa, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Los Angeles, Bush Intercontinental, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...