Baltimore International Airport Postpones Cuba Flights until Autumn 2012
The weekly charter flight from Baltimore-Washington International Airport which was scheduled to start taking American tourists to their Cuba holidays later this month has been postponed until this autumn due to the lack of ticket sales.
The weekly charter service between Baltimore-Washington Thurgood Marshall International Airport and Havana has been postponed until autumn due to poor ticket sales.
The first flight was scheduled to take American travellers to their Cuba holidays on 21st March, 2012 but the route has only attracted six passengers despite the planned visit of Pope Benedict XVI to the Caribbean island on 26th March.
The head of the Florida-based travel agency, Island Travel and Tours, who arranged the new service, said that they will improve the publicity campaign and launch the flights to Cuba in October instead.
“We’ve had lots of calls and lots of interest, but that hasn’t translated into ticket sales,” explained William J. Hauf, the president of Island Travel and Tours. “We probably could have filled up the first flight, but we want to offer these flights on a weekly basis, and right now we weren’t confident we’d sell enough tickets for the second and third flights to cover a cost of $50,000 to $60,000 per flight.”
Image by: cseeman, on Flickr
The travel agency was confident that the relaxed Cuba travel restrictions and the Pope’s three-day visit would encourage travellers to book holidays in Cuba this month.
The Cuba flights had been promoted since January, 2012, but Hauf recognises that religious and educational organisations might have needed more time to plan Cuba holidays.
“We’re going to continue to promote this heavily so that when we begin [BWI] flights, probably in October, these groups will have had plenty of time to work it into their plans,” Hauf added.
Image by: Eden Viaggi, on Flickr
Last January, U.S. President Barack Obama eased travel restrictions for American residents and they will now be able to legally visit the Caribbean island for religious, cultural, educational, academic, agricultural or professional purposes.
The decades-long embargo has prohibited American travellers from going on holidays to Cuba and though travel restrictions still apply, many U.S. residents will be able to visit Cuba for the first time under the new rules. Cuban-Americans, who were once restricted to limited travel back to their homeland, are now allowed to freely return to Cuba under the new law.
Several new U.S. airports have been given the go-ahead to offer charter flights to Cuba including Tampa, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Los Angeles, Bush Intercontinental, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...