Americans making use of every opportunity to book Cuba holidays
Witnessing unprecedented interest in booking Cuba holidays U.S. tour operators are already planning for 2013. Reports suggest that U.S. citizens are making use of every opportunity to embark on legal travel tours to the once forbidden Caribbean island.
Ever since the Obama administration eased travel restrictions, previously in place for nearly a half century, to the Caribbean island of Cuba it seems that Cuba holidays have been on the mind of many U.S. citizens.
The current travel guidelines for U.S. citizens is a return to policies first set by the Clinton administration allowing what is termed “people to people tourism” aimed at increasing contact between ordinary citizens of both countries. Currently, Americans are not allowed to travel to the once forbidden island independently as they run the risk of being fined by the U.S. Treasury Department.
Instead, interested travellers must go through the few licensed tour operators, many of which are hardly able to meet the current demand for holidays to Cuba- a sign of the popularity of the Caribbean island and appeal of its culture to U.S. citizens. “With a few exceptions for students, journalists, aid workers and some others, going to Cuba means joining one of the new cultural and educational tours licensed by the U.S. Treasury Department. Many trips sold out quickly. Tour companies are planning more for 2013...” notes Seattle Times travel writer Carol Pucci.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
While the current restrictions prevent US holidaymakers from enjoying the typical luxury Caribbean holiday on the island’s beautiful beaches it has provided the perfect opportunity for them to enjoy and gain a deeper understanding of the rich Cuban culture. William Colon, president of the non profit educational organisation, the Latino Institute noted in a recent interview, “I don't know if you can call this tourism in the regular way that people come and go to the beach...Here, this is a learning experience; we are learning all about the Cuban people, and our eyes are wide open. I've been waiting for the last 10 years to do this trip, and finally we are able to do it.”
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The surge in the number of Americans wishing to embark on a cultural Cuba holidays experience has posed both opportunities and challenges for the Cuba hotels who are struggling to meet the demand for rooms. In a Reuters report at the beginning of 2012 one travel agency director summed up the situation stating, “We need more hotels and we need more four-star hotels...we will have five years of difficulty [while more hotels are being built]… Business will be good for everybody because people are coming in, but everybody will have to fight for rooms”.
The Cuban government has since given assurances that steps would be put in place to improve the infrastructure at existing Cuba hotels in addition to the construction of new hotels in key areas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...