Number of travellers taking Abu Dhabi holidays on the rise
Recent figures from the Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority have shown an increase in the number of travellers going on Abu Dhabi holidays in January 2012 when compared to January 2011. The increase is in part owed to the city's packed events calendar.
Abu Dhabi’s tourism sector continues to build on the success experienced in 2011 with a reported growth in the number of visitors in January 2012 when compared with the same month last year. The announcement comes after the capital city of the United Arab Emirates’ annual tourism statistics revealed that 2011 was its most successful year to date with the number of visitors to the city exceeding their own target by over 110000 people.
At the time the Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority (ADTA), Shaikh Sultan Bin Tahnoun Al Nahyan stated, “It leaves us well-placed to build for 2012, for which we had initially targeted 2.3 million but, in conjunction with stakeholders, we will now reassess to see if this too, can be stretched”. The most recent figures for January 2012 will no doubt confirm to the officials that they are on track for 2012 with a substantial growth in the number of travellers booking Abu Dhabi holidays.
Image by: Beech Ovens, on Flickr
One of the main driving forces behind the growing popularity of Abu Dhabi holidays has been the billions of dollars the city continues to invest in tourism attractions like Ferrari World and the Yas Marina Circuit as well as major events. The month of January was a perfect example of the crowd drawing events that the city hosts with the Volvo Ocean Race, The World Future Energy Summit and the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship held between the 26thand 29th January 2012 where international sports star Tiger Woods took part. Additionally, the figures would have been affected by an increase in the number of Abu Dhabi flights from key source markets as Etihad Airways launched four weekly flights to Abu Dhabi from Chengdu, China and Dusseldorf, Germany.
Image by: Q8SABRE, on Flickr
Expectedly, the surge in the number of visitors brought growth in a number of key tourism measures. There was a reported 29 per cent rise in the number guests staying at the 127 Abu Dhabi hotels, hotel apartments and luxurious resorts, this accompanied $42.3 million in food and beverage revenues- an 18 per cent rise from January 2011.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
The current director general of the newly formed Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority (ADTCA), His Excellency Mubarak Al Muhairi reflected on January’s results stating, “This is all promising news on which to start the year given that the past 12 months has seen considerable additions to the destination hotel room inventory. Competition has heightened, yet new beachfront and golf course fronting properties are significantly enhancing our leisure appeal... We also anticipate good results for February with the recent World Ophthalmology Congress having delivered significant bookings for the hospitality sector”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Abu Dhabi Browse all
Enjoy a special break in Abu Dhabi, that comes complete with great shopping, a fabulous beach and spa club, and all at an affordable price.
- Choose from 15 award-winning restaurants and bars including a famous Jazz Bar
- One of the longest stretches of private beach in Abu Dhabi
- Facilities include swimming pools, tennis courts and a selection of watersports
Unwind and be pampered at a luxurious beachside retreat in the golden shores of the Arabian Gulf, on Abu Dhabi's Corniche.
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- Upgrade your experience and book a room including tickets to Ferrari World or Yas Waterworld
- Up to two kids stay FREE
- Direct connection to Al Raha Mall for the perfect shopping experience
Start off at Al Raha Beach with plenty of shopping options nearby followed by a stay at Tilal Liwa Desert Resort
- Al Raha overlooks a pristine ribbon of private beach, and you'll be within easy access to the Formula 1 theme park and downtown Abu Dhabi
- Enjoy a wide range of unique experiences such as camel riding, desert safari, BBQ, wellness therapy and many more
- Relax in the pool overlooking the Liwa dunes and the vast desert beyond as far as your eye can see
Discover two destination in one unforgettable holiday
- The award winning Hilton Abu Dhabi is conveniently located in the heart of the city, 30 minutes from the airport and close to the marina shopping mall
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind, body and spirit
- Experience stunning views over the pure white sands and crystal clear ocean with your nearest and dearest
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Al Raha Beach Hotel offers magnificent views of the Arabian Gulf, just a short drive from the city and Abu Dhabi...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...
Experience the height of luxurious comfort at the modern deluxe Pearl Rotana, designed to suit the needs of business,...
Come and experience the dreamlike beauty of the stunning Radisson Blu on the coast of the famous Yas Island. With the...