Enriching Cuba holidays in Sancti Spiritus with Restoration of The House of the 100 Doors
A rare and unique museum in Cuba's province of Sancti Spiritus has just been declared an official heriate of the country after undergoing remodelling works and opening for the delight of travellers enjoying Cuba holidays in the central city.
One of the most historically intriguing buildings in the city of Sancti Spiritus, dating from the 18th Century and locally known as the House of the 100 Doors, was added to the historical heritage of Cuba. The grand colonial mansion founded by Spanish conqueror and governor Diego Velazquez in 1514 and now a National Monument, was totally renovated and refurbished for the celebration of the 500th anniversary of the foundation of the city of Sancti Spiritus in 2014.
Officially named the Museum of Colonial Art and less officially popularly known as the House of the 100 Doors, this mansion houses more than 2,800 unique time pieces and works of art. Most of these used to belong to the Valle Iznaga family, of great noble ancestry at the time.
In addition to the priceless objects from the Valle Iznaga family, tourists enjoying Cuba holidays in Sancti Spiritus and wanting to absorb its rich culture will be able to find other objects of unvaluable at The House of the 100 Doors; including intricate art works by Swiss engraver Leopold Luis Robert and large Napoleon III console tables laminated in gold and French-style lamps made of baccarat glass.
Image by: quarkness, on Flickr
This rather unique museum, located in the best preserved neighbourhood of Sancti Spiritus sits right next to other colonial attractions such as the Higher Parochial Church (datingback to 1680), the Main Theatre (built in1839) and the bridge over the Yayabo River, which is considered an outsanding work of craftsmanship and egineering, because of its architecture.
The renovation of the Main Theatre in the city is yet another work in progress in a zone with more than 1,400 buildings dating from the 17th, 18th and 19th Centuries. The theatre's main stage once upon a time was host to worldwide performers and celebrities of the era such as Ramon Pignatelli (1734-1793), Juventino Rosas and Brindis de Salas.
Image by: simon_white, on Flickr
Since the start of the renovation and maintenance works being carried in the city in 2011, Sancti Spiritus has been breathing a fresher air, with the participation of constructors and the population working hard to give the city its best appearance in 2014, ready to celebrate the 500th anniversary of its foundation. Although not the most popular of destinations among travellers going on holidays to Cuba, Sancti Spiritus has unique history and charm with rich culture and historic past.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...