Enriching Cuba holidays in Sancti Spiritus with Restoration of The House of the 100 Doors
A rare and unique museum in Cuba's province of Sancti Spiritus has just been declared an official heriate of the country after undergoing remodelling works and opening for the delight of travellers enjoying Cuba holidays in the central city.
One of the most historically intriguing buildings in the city of Sancti Spiritus, dating from the 18th Century and locally known as the House of the 100 Doors, was added to the historical heritage of Cuba. The grand colonial mansion founded by Spanish conqueror and governor Diego Velazquez in 1514 and now a National Monument, was totally renovated and refurbished for the celebration of the 500th anniversary of the foundation of the city of Sancti Spiritus in 2014.
Officially named the Museum of Colonial Art and less officially popularly known as the House of the 100 Doors, this mansion houses more than 2,800 unique time pieces and works of art. Most of these used to belong to the Valle Iznaga family, of great noble ancestry at the time.
In addition to the priceless objects from the Valle Iznaga family, tourists enjoying Cuba holidays in Sancti Spiritus and wanting to absorb its rich culture will be able to find other objects of unvaluable at The House of the 100 Doors; including intricate art works by Swiss engraver Leopold Luis Robert and large Napoleon III console tables laminated in gold and French-style lamps made of baccarat glass.
Image by: quarkness, on Flickr
This rather unique museum, located in the best preserved neighbourhood of Sancti Spiritus sits right next to other colonial attractions such as the Higher Parochial Church (datingback to 1680), the Main Theatre (built in1839) and the bridge over the Yayabo River, which is considered an outsanding work of craftsmanship and egineering, because of its architecture.
The renovation of the Main Theatre in the city is yet another work in progress in a zone with more than 1,400 buildings dating from the 17th, 18th and 19th Centuries. The theatre's main stage once upon a time was host to worldwide performers and celebrities of the era such as Ramon Pignatelli (1734-1793), Juventino Rosas and Brindis de Salas.
Image by: simon_white, on Flickr
Since the start of the renovation and maintenance works being carried in the city in 2011, Sancti Spiritus has been breathing a fresher air, with the participation of constructors and the population working hard to give the city its best appearance in 2014, ready to celebrate the 500th anniversary of its foundation. Although not the most popular of destinations among travellers going on holidays to Cuba, Sancti Spiritus has unique history and charm with rich culture and historic past.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...