Amidst political unrest Viceroy Hotel Group announces opening of luxury Maldives hotel
The Viceroy Hotel Group will officially open one of the most anticipated luxury Maldives hotels on 2nd April 2012. Despite fears that the political turmoil will dissuade travellers from booking Maldives holidays the tourism industry continues to thrive.
Renowned hotel chain Viceroy Hotel Group has recently announced that they will open one of the most eagerly anticipated luxury Maldives hotels on the 2nd April 2012. Nestled on the archipelago’s exotic Vagaru Island, there has been a buzz around the 61-villa new Viceroy Maldives since last year.
The hotel looks set to be a favourite among travellers planning luxury holidays in the Maldives stirring up coverage in leading international magazines from Harper’s Bazzar to Vogue, Conde Nast Traveler and Elite Traveler. “Extending the Viceroy brand across the world to the Maldives is a very exciting development for us… We look forward to welcoming our clientele to this breathtaking resort in early 2012” read the statement from the President of the Viceroy hotel Group, Nicholas Clayton.
The announcement of the official launch comes in the midst of the political unrest that has erupted in the Maldives capital of Malé. With tourism contributing directly to 30 per cent of the archipelago’s GDP, many have expressed fears that the current unrest will dissuade travellers from booking Maldives holidays. Reports coming out of the Maldives would suggest that the tourism industry continues to thrive in the face of the upheaval with no disruptions to Maldives flights landing at Male International Airport AND hotels reporting stable occupancy rates.
Image by: Strygaban, on Flickr
The fact that the 101 Maldives resorts are located on exotic uninhabited islands segregated from the local population has meant that holidaymakers have been largely isolated from the chaos. “The local islands and the tourist islands are a world apart… There have been some cancellations, but that is a result of people not understanding the destination” noted Jason Kruse general manager of Kurumba resort.
The lure of beach front and water villas with interiors created by awarding winning firm Yabu Pushelberg may well be enough to entice travellers to plan Maldives holidays and overlook the troubles facing the capital city. A stay at the luxurious Viceroy Maldives will also mean that guests can indulge and pamper themselves in the hotel’s world class spa. With seven over-water bungalows, The Spa at Viceroy Maldives offers a range of treatments to help relax and purify mind, body and spirit.
Image by: Strygaban, on Flickr
Despite the current political climate the management of the Viceroy Maldives have expressed optimism and determination “We're hopeful that it's a blip and it is something [that] will be very quickly resolved, and [that] by the time of our opening the situation will be stable... In terms of delaying the opening, the political situation has little impact” stated Anton Bawab, regional president at Viceroy.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
See what the Maldives really has to offer at Velassaru Maldives, with a great array of excursions.
- Fantastic selection of excursions from night snorkelling to fishing to a trip to Male to having an island all to yourself!
- As well as chilling on the beach or visiting the Spa, why not go an practice the ancient art of Yoga?
- Five wonderful dining venues and two exciting bars means you have a range of options depending on what mood you are in
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream with the added royal treatment
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Take your pick from 7 exquisite restaurants and 6 lively bars
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...
Located on a secluded private island of Dhuni Kolhu, the hotel is a tropical paradise with white sandy beaches and...