More Mexicans than ever going on Cuba holidays
Over 76,320 Mexican tourists took Cuba holidays in 2011 marking a 14.5 per cent increase on 2010 figures and indicating that Mexican tourism to Cuba is booming with further growth expected for 2012 where the figure is expected to reach 95,000.
Mexican tourism to Cuba is going from strength to strength according to a representative from Cuba's Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR). The figures recently unveiled revealed that over 76,320 Mexican tourists took Cuba holidays in 2011, signalling a growth of 14.5 per cent when compared against 2012 figures.
These recent figures are expected to keep growing in the near future as Cuba's MINTUR representative also announced that even more Mexican tourists are expected to head to Cuba in 2012 with the overall figure of travellers forecasted to reach 95,000 by the end of the year. Such are the expectations predicted by Alicia Perez Casanova, the Director of Cuba's Tourism Office in Mexico. She added that in 2011 the majority of Mexican travellers taking holidays in Cuba were from Mexico City, Veracruz and Nuevo Leon and the places most visited by Mexican tourists in the island were Havana and Varadero beach, even when there were other holiday destinations in the island that also appealed to Mexican visitors and were increasing in popularity among them.
Image by: Eden Viaggi, on Flickr
Perez Casanova also revealed that the influx of Mexican travellers heading to Cuba in the coming years is also expected to be favoured by the opening of new charter Cuba flights from Mexico D.F. to Cuba's historical city of Santa Clara with the aim of promoting the holiday beach destination of Cayo Santa Maria, a pristine little key just off the coast of Santa Clara.
Even when she didn't go into major detail about the new charter flights to Cuba, Perez Casanova did reveal that the flight routes would start in summer 2012 and added that their operation was still under negotiation. The way things are at the moment she expects the new charter flights to star operating in July and August with capacity for a total of 150 passengers.
Image by: Eden Viaggi, on Flickr
At the present time airline airlines operating flights between Mexico and Cuba include Aeromexico, Cubana de Aviacion and Interjet, which gives plenty of capacity for carrying large volumes of tourists to the island but they are looking to diversify the offer even more to include destinations such as Cayo Santa Maria in Santa Clara and avoid tourism being concentrated in Havana and Varadero only.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...