More Mexicans than ever going on Cuba holidays
Over 76,320 Mexican tourists took Cuba holidays in 2011 marking a 14.5 per cent increase on 2010 figures and indicating that Mexican tourism to Cuba is booming with further growth expected for 2012 where the figure is expected to reach 95,000.
Mexican tourism to Cuba is going from strength to strength according to a representative from Cuba's Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR). The figures recently unveiled revealed that over 76,320 Mexican tourists took Cuba holidays in 2011, signalling a growth of 14.5 per cent when compared against 2012 figures.
These recent figures are expected to keep growing in the near future as Cuba's MINTUR representative also announced that even more Mexican tourists are expected to head to Cuba in 2012 with the overall figure of travellers forecasted to reach 95,000 by the end of the year. Such are the expectations predicted by Alicia Perez Casanova, the Director of Cuba's Tourism Office in Mexico. She added that in 2011 the majority of Mexican travellers taking holidays in Cuba were from Mexico City, Veracruz and Nuevo Leon and the places most visited by Mexican tourists in the island were Havana and Varadero beach, even when there were other holiday destinations in the island that also appealed to Mexican visitors and were increasing in popularity among them.
Image by: Eden Viaggi, on Flickr
Perez Casanova also revealed that the influx of Mexican travellers heading to Cuba in the coming years is also expected to be favoured by the opening of new charter Cuba flights from Mexico D.F. to Cuba's historical city of Santa Clara with the aim of promoting the holiday beach destination of Cayo Santa Maria, a pristine little key just off the coast of Santa Clara.
Even when she didn't go into major detail about the new charter flights to Cuba, Perez Casanova did reveal that the flight routes would start in summer 2012 and added that their operation was still under negotiation. The way things are at the moment she expects the new charter flights to star operating in July and August with capacity for a total of 150 passengers.
Image by: Eden Viaggi, on Flickr
At the present time airline airlines operating flights between Mexico and Cuba include Aeromexico, Cubana de Aviacion and Interjet, which gives plenty of capacity for carrying large volumes of tourists to the island but they are looking to diversify the offer even more to include destinations such as Cayo Santa Maria in Santa Clara and avoid tourism being concentrated in Havana and Varadero only.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...