More Mexicans than ever going on Cuba holidays
Over 76,320 Mexican tourists took Cuba holidays in 2011 marking a 14.5 per cent increase on 2010 figures and indicating that Mexican tourism to Cuba is booming with further growth expected for 2012 where the figure is expected to reach 95,000.
Mexican tourism to Cuba is going from strength to strength according to a representative from Cuba's Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR). The figures recently unveiled revealed that over 76,320 Mexican tourists took Cuba holidays in 2011, signalling a growth of 14.5 per cent when compared against 2012 figures.
These recent figures are expected to keep growing in the near future as Cuba's MINTUR representative also announced that even more Mexican tourists are expected to head to Cuba in 2012 with the overall figure of travellers forecasted to reach 95,000 by the end of the year. Such are the expectations predicted by Alicia Perez Casanova, the Director of Cuba's Tourism Office in Mexico. She added that in 2011 the majority of Mexican travellers taking holidays in Cuba were from Mexico City, Veracruz and Nuevo Leon and the places most visited by Mexican tourists in the island were Havana and Varadero beach, even when there were other holiday destinations in the island that also appealed to Mexican visitors and were increasing in popularity among them.
Image by: Eden Viaggi, on Flickr
Perez Casanova also revealed that the influx of Mexican travellers heading to Cuba in the coming years is also expected to be favoured by the opening of new charter Cuba flights from Mexico D.F. to Cuba's historical city of Santa Clara with the aim of promoting the holiday beach destination of Cayo Santa Maria, a pristine little key just off the coast of Santa Clara.
Even when she didn't go into major detail about the new charter flights to Cuba, Perez Casanova did reveal that the flight routes would start in summer 2012 and added that their operation was still under negotiation. The way things are at the moment she expects the new charter flights to star operating in July and August with capacity for a total of 150 passengers.
Image by: Eden Viaggi, on Flickr
At the present time airline airlines operating flights between Mexico and Cuba include Aeromexico, Cubana de Aviacion and Interjet, which gives plenty of capacity for carrying large volumes of tourists to the island but they are looking to diversify the offer even more to include destinations such as Cayo Santa Maria in Santa Clara and avoid tourism being concentrated in Havana and Varadero only.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...