More Mexicans than ever going on Cuba holidays
Over 76,320 Mexican tourists took Cuba holidays in 2011 marking a 14.5 per cent increase on 2010 figures and indicating that Mexican tourism to Cuba is booming with further growth expected for 2012 where the figure is expected to reach 95,000.
Mexican tourism to Cuba is going from strength to strength according to a representative from Cuba's Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR). The figures recently unveiled revealed that over 76,320 Mexican tourists took Cuba holidays in 2011, signalling a growth of 14.5 per cent when compared against 2012 figures.
These recent figures are expected to keep growing in the near future as Cuba's MINTUR representative also announced that even more Mexican tourists are expected to head to Cuba in 2012 with the overall figure of travellers forecasted to reach 95,000 by the end of the year. Such are the expectations predicted by Alicia Perez Casanova, the Director of Cuba's Tourism Office in Mexico. She added that in 2011 the majority of Mexican travellers taking holidays in Cuba were from Mexico City, Veracruz and Nuevo Leon and the places most visited by Mexican tourists in the island were Havana and Varadero beach, even when there were other holiday destinations in the island that also appealed to Mexican visitors and were increasing in popularity among them.
Image by: Eden Viaggi, on Flickr
Perez Casanova also revealed that the influx of Mexican travellers heading to Cuba in the coming years is also expected to be favoured by the opening of new charter Cuba flights from Mexico D.F. to Cuba's historical city of Santa Clara with the aim of promoting the holiday beach destination of Cayo Santa Maria, a pristine little key just off the coast of Santa Clara.
Even when she didn't go into major detail about the new charter flights to Cuba, Perez Casanova did reveal that the flight routes would start in summer 2012 and added that their operation was still under negotiation. The way things are at the moment she expects the new charter flights to star operating in July and August with capacity for a total of 150 passengers.
Image by: Eden Viaggi, on Flickr
At the present time airline airlines operating flights between Mexico and Cuba include Aeromexico, Cubana de Aviacion and Interjet, which gives plenty of capacity for carrying large volumes of tourists to the island but they are looking to diversify the offer even more to include destinations such as Cayo Santa Maria in Santa Clara and avoid tourism being concentrated in Havana and Varadero only.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...