Whale-watching season ushers in thousands of nature lovers to plan Domnican Republic holidays
Travellers on Dominican Republic holidays between January and March will experience the magic of whale watching. The spectacular event lasts till mid-March each year and ushers in approximately 30,000 local and foreign visitors to Samana and Hato Mayor.
Travellers planning holidays in the Dominican Republic any time between January and March will have the unique opportunity to witness one of nature’s most captivating sea creatures in action as the hump back whale heads to Dominican shores.
During these winter months up to 5000 whales make the journey from Iceland, Greenland and Canada to the warm waters of the Dominican Republic’s Samaná Bay to mate and calve. Samaná is the perfect spot for anyone craving an eco-adventure while on their Dominican Republic holidays.
Image by: Go Dominican Republic, on Flickr
The Dominican Republic, with its pristine beaches and tropical climate, has earned itself a reputation as one of the top Caribbean destinations. However, the island is not only about sun, sea and sand as its eco-tourism offerings are equally appealing to holidaymakers from around the globe with nine distinct ecological zones including Samaná. In addition to whale watching, visitors on their Dominican Republic holidays to Samana can experience jeep safaris, deep diving and even take a romantic horse ride to the gorgeous Salto Limon waterfall.
Image by: phaedrucide, on Flickr
The island is home to a diverse range of exotic flora and fauna, along with the humpback whale, the Dominican Republic boasts of 60 species of mammals and amphibians, 254 different bird species, of which 22 are listed as endangered, as well as 1 411 different species of reptile including the endangered hutia and sloenodon.
The Environment minister for the Dominican Republic, Ernesto Reyna highlighted the importance of the whale-watching season to the island’s tourism industry with approximately 30 000 local and foreign visitors making their way to the north-eastern province of Samaná to witness the majestic creatures in action. The large influx of visitors to the region will no doubt be welcomed by any one of the many Dominican Republic resorts, whether on a budget or hoping to splurge on something more luxurious visitors will have a range of hotels and resorts to choose from when staying at Samana.
Image by: Sallyrango, on Flickr
The Center for Conservation and Eco Development for Samana and its Environs have listed some helpful guidelines for holidaymakers to bear in mind before heading to Samana for whale watching season:
- Ensure that your chosen vessel has a permit to enter the whale watch area.
- Be aware that some vessels have naturalists on board and some do not.
- Whale watching requires a certain degree of patience. These are wild animals and their behaviour is based on whale - whale interactions.
- Humpback whales are an endangered species and Samaná Bay is an important breeding and nursery area.
- Familiarise yourself with the whale watching regulations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
- Free upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Room
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Enjoy fantastic savings, $200 resort credit per room per stay to spend in the spa, upgraded wine list and on a romantic dinner
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Live it up and Enjoy a stay at the brand new Now Onyx Punta Cana, perfectly located on a pristine beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Spend eight days lazing in the abundant Punta Cana sunshine as you enjoy the best in hospitality that the Dominican...
Sunscape Bavaro Beach Punta Cana will be located on the east coast of the Dominican Republic, in the centre of the...