Jamaica's tourism officials push to make Jamaica holidays more accessible
In a bid to boost the appeal of Jamaica holidays by offering more easily accessible flights to Jamaica from key markets in Latina America and elsewhere, director of tourism John Lynch represented the island at the Fifth Routes Americas Conference.
Jamaica’s director of tourism Mr John Lynch recently represented the island at the Fifth Routes Americas Conference which took place from the 19th to the 21st February 2012in Nassau, Bahamas and was hosted by the Nassau Airport Development Company (NAD). The conference saw together key industry players from the Caribbean and the Americas come together to discuss already existing services as well as the development of new routes and new market opportunities. Mr Lynch’s attendance was aimed at boosting the number of Jamaica flights available from a number of key markets in the Americas.
Jamaica like many of its Caribbean counterparts is seeking to increase the number of travellers who will book their holidays to Jamaica in 2012 as tourism officials hope to strengthen the island’s position as one of the leading Caribbean holiday destinations.
Newly appointed Tourism Minister Dr Wykeham McNeil noted in an interview with Caribbean Journal that airlift was a key issue for his ministry in their efforts to grow and diversify, “We have tried hard to diversify our markets, to try and build them up as much as possible. The thrust now is to try and work on the Latin American market. Some work has started there. I think we need to do more. Of course, the perennial problem is you have to work on the airlift and marketing when you go into these markets”.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
The networking event would have been a crucial one for Jamaica’s tourism industry as they push towards a diversification of their source markets and seek to make Jamaica holidays more accessible for holidaymakers across the globe.
The Routes Americas Conference is considered to be the leading networking event for the airline industry and as such plays a vital role in strategic planning for the various tourism industries. Prior to the event, vice-president and commercial head for Routes was confident that this year’s edition would be a success, “This year we are going to have more delegates than we have ever had. We are expecting to have 400 airline, airport and tourism authority delegates from over 42 different countries. We also have the largest number of airlines to attend Routes America, with around 60 carriers…Routes is important because air service development is important.”
Image by: biluu_72, on Flickr
While the outcome of the conference is yet to be disclosed, it would undoubtedly have been a stepping stone to government official’s ultimate goal of lifting the popularity of Jamaica holidays on the international stage.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Located within 15 minutes from Sangster's International Airport and 5 minutes from three world-class golf courses
- Enjoy Exclusive April Offers with incredible savings
- A variety of water sports or leave your daily stress behind and relax with the magical spa services
- Luxury accommodations combined with breathtaking ocean views
- A wide selection of restaurants with international gourmet buffet, where you can enjoy a variety of cuisine from breakfast pastries to classic Jamaican fare
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Located in New Kingston, the Knutsford Court Hotel offers a laidback atmosphere within a beautiful tropical setting....