Jamaica's tourism officials push to make Jamaica holidays more accessible
In a bid to boost the appeal of Jamaica holidays by offering more easily accessible flights to Jamaica from key markets in Latina America and elsewhere, director of tourism John Lynch represented the island at the Fifth Routes Americas Conference.
Jamaica’s director of tourism Mr John Lynch recently represented the island at the Fifth Routes Americas Conference which took place from the 19th to the 21st February 2012in Nassau, Bahamas and was hosted by the Nassau Airport Development Company (NAD). The conference saw together key industry players from the Caribbean and the Americas come together to discuss already existing services as well as the development of new routes and new market opportunities. Mr Lynch’s attendance was aimed at boosting the number of Jamaica flights available from a number of key markets in the Americas.
Jamaica like many of its Caribbean counterparts is seeking to increase the number of travellers who will book their holidays to Jamaica in 2012 as tourism officials hope to strengthen the island’s position as one of the leading Caribbean holiday destinations.
Newly appointed Tourism Minister Dr Wykeham McNeil noted in an interview with Caribbean Journal that airlift was a key issue for his ministry in their efforts to grow and diversify, “We have tried hard to diversify our markets, to try and build them up as much as possible. The thrust now is to try and work on the Latin American market. Some work has started there. I think we need to do more. Of course, the perennial problem is you have to work on the airlift and marketing when you go into these markets”.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
The networking event would have been a crucial one for Jamaica’s tourism industry as they push towards a diversification of their source markets and seek to make Jamaica holidays more accessible for holidaymakers across the globe.
The Routes Americas Conference is considered to be the leading networking event for the airline industry and as such plays a vital role in strategic planning for the various tourism industries. Prior to the event, vice-president and commercial head for Routes was confident that this year’s edition would be a success, “This year we are going to have more delegates than we have ever had. We are expecting to have 400 airline, airport and tourism authority delegates from over 42 different countries. We also have the largest number of airlines to attend Routes America, with around 60 carriers…Routes is important because air service development is important.”
Image by: biluu_72, on Flickr
While the outcome of the conference is yet to be disclosed, it would undoubtedly have been a stepping stone to government official’s ultimate goal of lifting the popularity of Jamaica holidays on the international stage.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Summer 2018 Sale now on, save £250 per person
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Holiday Inn Resort offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The resort has a...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...