Celebrations kick off for Dominican Republic's Carnival Season
Carnival season in the Dominican Republic begun this month and will end in April. The traditional celebration, which will be held in various cities across the country, is a wonderful way to discover the island's culture during Dominican Republic holidays.
The month of February has brought about exciting celebrations for the Dominican Republic. The exhilarating carnival season is back in the country once more to offer colourful displays, upbeat music and endless fun for foreign visitors and Dominicans alike. The carnivals, which are being held in different regions across the Dominican Republic, will last for a whole month coming to an end in April.
This unique time of year brings joy and enthusiasm to everyone in the country, visitor or local. The main streets of the country’s largest cities are lined up with colourful parades as well as fun and upbeat carnival music. The tradition of celebrating carnivals can be traced back as early as the sixteenth century, during the time that the Spanish colonisers built the city of Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic.
Various companies (such as travel and hospitality agencies) offering national tours in the Dominican Republic started preparing for this exciting season since the beginning of 2012. Their main purpose was to draw attention to the beautiful shows and get the nation's natives and tourists spending Dominican Republic holidays, to join in on the various regional celebrations and carnivals taking place all around the country.
Image by: francesca bortolanza, on Flickr
Some of these travel agencies and tour operators will be organising Sunday tours during the month of February to La Vega. This northern city, located an hour and 30 minutes away from the capital city of Santo Domingo, offers the most famous and most highly anticipated carnivals of all. The festivities in La Vega, a pleasurable and stress-relieving way to enjoy fun holidays in the Dominican Republic, have become legendary because of its dazzling exhibitions.
Other cities in the Dominican Republic which receive the honour of celebrating this joyful season are Santiago, Bonao, Santo Domingo, Cabral, Montecristi, San Juan and Punta Cana which will be the centre of the festivities in March. Bonoa, one of the oldest cities on the island (which receives its name from an important chieftain), celebrates its wonderful carnival on 14th March. Also in March, the capital city of Santo Domingo unites its most striking displays and best traditions from the regional carnivals to take part in the National Carnival Parade.
Image by: jat1974, on Flickr
This enormous and incredible parade will take place on Santo Domingo’s seaside boulevard. Nearby, travellers can find fantastic Dominican Republic hotels, so they won’t miss the fun. Here they will also enjoy the view of the Caribbean Sea and the old part of the city.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
You'll be instantly rewarded with up to $3,600 resort credit to use towards spa treatments, golf, premium drinks and much more
- Complimentary Tickts available to see Shakira! Call for more details
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Suites feature a double Jacuzzi and fully stocked mini bar including spirits and premium brands
- Choice of 13 swimming pools and 35 spa suites to relax in
- Get up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Beautifully located on the Dominican Republic´s lush southeast coast, Casa de Campo is a magnificent eco-friendly...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...