Caribbean Records 3.3 Rise in Tourism Arrivals in 2011
The number of tourists who went on Caribbean holidays in 2011 reached 23.8 million, according to the Caribbean Tourism Organisation. Tourism arrivals increased by 3.3 per cent compared to the year 2010, despite challenging times for the economy worldwide.
The Caribbean recorded a rise in tourist arrivals in 2011 despite the ongoing economic troubles in many parts of the world.
According to the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO), 23.8 million tourists took Caribbean holidays last year which marked a 3.3 per cent growth in tourism compared to 2010 figures.
The statistics specialist from the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, Sean Smith, explained: “The Caribbean tourism industry is holding its own, remaining afloat and resilient amidst turbulence in the marketplace.
“Tourist arrivals to the Caribbean region remained buoyant in 2011, continuing the recovery process which began in 2010.”
Although the number of cruise arrivals to the Caribbean also recorded a slight rise by 0.3 per cent (20.6 million arrivals), the figures were relatively flat compared to previous years but Smith is confident that these will rise again by two to three percent in 2012.
The majority of travellers usually go on holidays to the Caribbean during the winter months but 2011 also saw a rise in holidaymakers throughout the summer period.
Image by: Timothy Shea, on Flickr
“Tourist arrivals during the winter months (January to April) were up 4.4 per cent over the previous winter, which had grown by 3.9 per cent over 2009,” added Smith.
“The summer period ending December recorded a lower than expected increase of three per cent.”
The majority of tourists who took Caribbean holidays last year originated from Canada and arrivals from the northern American country were up by 6.8 per cent compared to 2010. Visitors from the United States also increased by 1.7 per cent and arrivals from Europe remained flat with a rise of 0.6 per cent.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
Smith explained that problems in the main source markets such as high unemployment numbers, high oil prices, and the increased Airport Tax Duty (APD) could be a concern for the Caribbean tourism industry.
“In light of these realities, arrivals to the Caribbean are not expected to exceed a three per cent increase in 2012 and visitor expenditure is also not expected to grow meaningfully during this year,” Smith concluded.
Image by: Troy And Naomi, on Flickr
The Caribbean is an idyllic region geographically located between North and South America and boasting a collection of picturesque island nations offering white sand beaches, turquoise ocean waters, a tropical sunny climate, lush rainforests, vibrant coral reefs, and a wide range of beachfront Caribbean hotels and resorts that cater for all budgets.
Popular destinations for holidays in the Caribbean include Jamaica, St Lucia, Barbados, the Bahamas and the Dominican Republic.
As well as being a haven for tropical holidays, the Caribbean is a favourite for destination weddings and romantic honeymoons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...