U.S-Cuba Ferry Service Awaits Decision Two Years after Submitting Application
American travellers are now able to take Cuba holidays onboard charter flights from several U.S airports but the option of a more affordable ferry service between Cuba and the U.S appears to have run aground as companies wait for the go-ahead.
After several airports in the United States were granted permission to provide charter flights for American travellers heading to Cuba, ferry operators have also shown their interest in offering travel options to the Caribbean island.
However, while the charter companies’ licences have been granted to provide Cuba holidays for American tourists, the ferry companies are still waiting for the green light, nearly two years after submitting their applications.
Havana Ferry Partners is one of the companies that is still waiting for a decision to operate a 600-passenger ferry to the island of Cuba from Port Everglades in Florida. Travellers planning holidays in Cuba will be able to save $50 if they travel to Cuba via ferry instead of taking licensed charter flights.
At least three other companies are also keen to provide American tourists with cheaper transport for Cuba holidays via a ferry service but it seems that a decision is not likely to be made anytime soon because of the election year. Any changes made this year could alienate the Cuban-American voters who are looking for the administration to tighten not loosen Cuba travel.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Havana Ferry Partners has decided to push forward a one-time trip that will allow them to provide a service to Cuba during Pope Benedict XVI's scheduled visit in Cuba from 26th to 28th March, 2012.
Leonard Moecklin, the vice president for Havana Ferry Partners, said that the company has officially applied to the U.S. government for permission and they already have a boat on standby that can be prepared in time if he gets the go-ahead by 1st March 2012.
In January, 2011, President Obama eased restrictions on American travellers taking holidays to Cuba for educational, academic, cultural and religious purposes. Since these changes to the law were made, several U.S airports have established new flights to Cuba. The airports include Tampa International Airport, Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, O’Hare in Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and San Juan.
Image by: tmaros, on Flickr
The Caribbean island nation is situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The island is rich in culture and history and is home to beautiful white and golden sand beaches, tropical nature parks, luxury and mid-range Cuba hotels and resorts, and turquoise warm ocean waters that are home to the world’s second largest barrier reef and an abundance of vibrant tropical fish and stunning marine creatures.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...