U.S-Cuba Ferry Service Awaits Decision Two Years after Submitting Application
American travellers are now able to take Cuba holidays onboard charter flights from several U.S airports but the option of a more affordable ferry service between Cuba and the U.S appears to have run aground as companies wait for the go-ahead.
After several airports in the United States were granted permission to provide charter flights for American travellers heading to Cuba, ferry operators have also shown their interest in offering travel options to the Caribbean island.
However, while the charter companies’ licences have been granted to provide Cuba holidays for American tourists, the ferry companies are still waiting for the green light, nearly two years after submitting their applications.
Havana Ferry Partners is one of the companies that is still waiting for a decision to operate a 600-passenger ferry to the island of Cuba from Port Everglades in Florida. Travellers planning holidays in Cuba will be able to save $50 if they travel to Cuba via ferry instead of taking licensed charter flights.
At least three other companies are also keen to provide American tourists with cheaper transport for Cuba holidays via a ferry service but it seems that a decision is not likely to be made anytime soon because of the election year. Any changes made this year could alienate the Cuban-American voters who are looking for the administration to tighten not loosen Cuba travel.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Havana Ferry Partners has decided to push forward a one-time trip that will allow them to provide a service to Cuba during Pope Benedict XVI's scheduled visit in Cuba from 26th to 28th March, 2012.
Leonard Moecklin, the vice president for Havana Ferry Partners, said that the company has officially applied to the U.S. government for permission and they already have a boat on standby that can be prepared in time if he gets the go-ahead by 1st March 2012.
In January, 2011, President Obama eased restrictions on American travellers taking holidays to Cuba for educational, academic, cultural and religious purposes. Since these changes to the law were made, several U.S airports have established new flights to Cuba. The airports include Tampa International Airport, Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, O’Hare in Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and San Juan.
Image by: tmaros, on Flickr
The Caribbean island nation is situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The island is rich in culture and history and is home to beautiful white and golden sand beaches, tropical nature parks, luxury and mid-range Cuba hotels and resorts, and turquoise warm ocean waters that are home to the world’s second largest barrier reef and an abundance of vibrant tropical fish and stunning marine creatures.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...