U.S-Cuba Ferry Service Awaits Decision Two Years after Submitting Application
American travellers are now able to take Cuba holidays onboard charter flights from several U.S airports but the option of a more affordable ferry service between Cuba and the U.S appears to have run aground as companies wait for the go-ahead.
After several airports in the United States were granted permission to provide charter flights for American travellers heading to Cuba, ferry operators have also shown their interest in offering travel options to the Caribbean island.
However, while the charter companies’ licences have been granted to provide Cuba holidays for American tourists, the ferry companies are still waiting for the green light, nearly two years after submitting their applications.
Havana Ferry Partners is one of the companies that is still waiting for a decision to operate a 600-passenger ferry to the island of Cuba from Port Everglades in Florida. Travellers planning holidays in Cuba will be able to save $50 if they travel to Cuba via ferry instead of taking licensed charter flights.
At least three other companies are also keen to provide American tourists with cheaper transport for Cuba holidays via a ferry service but it seems that a decision is not likely to be made anytime soon because of the election year. Any changes made this year could alienate the Cuban-American voters who are looking for the administration to tighten not loosen Cuba travel.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Havana Ferry Partners has decided to push forward a one-time trip that will allow them to provide a service to Cuba during Pope Benedict XVI's scheduled visit in Cuba from 26th to 28th March, 2012.
Leonard Moecklin, the vice president for Havana Ferry Partners, said that the company has officially applied to the U.S. government for permission and they already have a boat on standby that can be prepared in time if he gets the go-ahead by 1st March 2012.
In January, 2011, President Obama eased restrictions on American travellers taking holidays to Cuba for educational, academic, cultural and religious purposes. Since these changes to the law were made, several U.S airports have established new flights to Cuba. The airports include Tampa International Airport, Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, O’Hare in Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and San Juan.
Image by: tmaros, on Flickr
The Caribbean island nation is situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The island is rich in culture and history and is home to beautiful white and golden sand beaches, tropical nature parks, luxury and mid-range Cuba hotels and resorts, and turquoise warm ocean waters that are home to the world’s second largest barrier reef and an abundance of vibrant tropical fish and stunning marine creatures.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...