U.S-Cuba Ferry Service Awaits Decision Two Years after Submitting Application
American travellers are now able to take Cuba holidays onboard charter flights from several U.S airports but the option of a more affordable ferry service between Cuba and the U.S appears to have run aground as companies wait for the go-ahead.
After several airports in the United States were granted permission to provide charter flights for American travellers heading to Cuba, ferry operators have also shown their interest in offering travel options to the Caribbean island.
However, while the charter companies’ licences have been granted to provide Cuba holidays for American tourists, the ferry companies are still waiting for the green light, nearly two years after submitting their applications.
Havana Ferry Partners is one of the companies that is still waiting for a decision to operate a 600-passenger ferry to the island of Cuba from Port Everglades in Florida. Travellers planning holidays in Cuba will be able to save $50 if they travel to Cuba via ferry instead of taking licensed charter flights.
At least three other companies are also keen to provide American tourists with cheaper transport for Cuba holidays via a ferry service but it seems that a decision is not likely to be made anytime soon because of the election year. Any changes made this year could alienate the Cuban-American voters who are looking for the administration to tighten not loosen Cuba travel.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Havana Ferry Partners has decided to push forward a one-time trip that will allow them to provide a service to Cuba during Pope Benedict XVI's scheduled visit in Cuba from 26th to 28th March, 2012.
Leonard Moecklin, the vice president for Havana Ferry Partners, said that the company has officially applied to the U.S. government for permission and they already have a boat on standby that can be prepared in time if he gets the go-ahead by 1st March 2012.
In January, 2011, President Obama eased restrictions on American travellers taking holidays to Cuba for educational, academic, cultural and religious purposes. Since these changes to the law were made, several U.S airports have established new flights to Cuba. The airports include Tampa International Airport, Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, O’Hare in Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and San Juan.
Image by: tmaros, on Flickr
The Caribbean island nation is situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The island is rich in culture and history and is home to beautiful white and golden sand beaches, tropical nature parks, luxury and mid-range Cuba hotels and resorts, and turquoise warm ocean waters that are home to the world’s second largest barrier reef and an abundance of vibrant tropical fish and stunning marine creatures.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...