Surge in online searches for Africa holidays
Digital marketing agency, Greenlight, released their latest report on online holiday search trends in 2011. The report revealed that the popularity of Africa holidays surged in late 2011, surpassing North America with a 17 per cent market share.
Greenlight, a leading digital marketing agency, has released the latest findings of their research on online holiday search trends in the UK during November 2011 with their ‘Holiday Issue 11’ report. November 2011’s report findings were consistent with the findings of Greenlight’s previous editions (February 2011 and August 2011) with searches for European holidays topping the list accounting for a 47 per cent share in November. However, interestingly, there was a sharp increase in the number of searches for Africa holidays in November with a growth of over 60,000 searches when compared to August, putting holidays in Africa ahead of North American holidays for the first time in 2011 with a 17 per cent share of online searches.
Greenlight’s study revealed that the search term “Egypt holidays” was used 60, 500 times, which comes as no surprise since the Egypitian Tourism Authority recently stated that the UK was one of the largest source markets for the nation’s tourism in 2011, coming second only to Russia. Egypt has long been a popular holiday destination for UK holidaymakers and may have well been the single largest contributor to the peak in interest in Africa holidays noted by Greenlight during the month of November- a month where many look to get their last fix of sunshine before the winter season sets in. Sharm el Sheikh, with its pristine waters and a kaleidoscope of colour bursting from its coral reefs, has been a major draw for holidaymakers from the UK, earning itself a reputation as one of the best holiday destinations for divers.
Image by: Belfast Gingerella, on Flickr
According to the figures released by the authorities in Egypt, the recent turmoil did little to discourage over a million Britons from booking their holidays in Egypt, with the average stay for Brit in Egypt lasting a little over 11 days. While Egypt may have proved to be popular with British holidaymakers in 2011, the broader picture is far less rosy. The political crisis has left its scar on the nation and by extension the Egyptian tourism industry which accounts for 10 per cent of the nation’s GDP. Revenues for Egypt’s tourism sector declined by as much as 30 per cent in 2011 as a result of safety concerns with just 9.8 million holidaymakers arriving in Egypt in 2011 compared to 14.7 million in 2010. As the country elects a new head of state in 2012 and continues to make steps towards full democracy, industry insiders feel confident that Egypt will be able to repair the image of their tourism brand.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Experience the golden Sandy beaches of the beautiful Red Sea, the action in Soho Square and Na'ama Bay and a resort that has it all - Sierra Sharm el Sheikt awaits
- Enjoy elegant views of either the pool or gardens from your own private balcony/terrace
- Enjoy access to the Sierra's Wellness Centre & Aqua Spa, where you can enjoy a massage parlour, sauna & steam room
- Enjoy a variety of cuisines from a number of restaurants at the hotel - including Italian, freshly caught seafood & much more
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture.
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
Relaxing and unforgetable experince with 11 nights tour including an excellent range of facilities
- Experience the fruitful lifestyle of the Cape Region
- Discover the spectacular landscapes of the Kruger region
- Travel to Karongwe Private Game Reserve to get exclusive access, day and night, to a wide range of animals including the "Big Five"
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic combinations of...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
Beautifully crafted to reflect modern Andalusian style, a Spanish region that was for long conquered by the Moroccan...