Bush Intercontinental Airport to Launch First Cuba Flights This Week
A large group of American travellers will be setting off on their Cuba holidays aboard the first charter flight from Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston, Texas on Thursday 2nd February with a special "people-to-people" trip through Marazul Charters.
The first Cuba-bound flight from Texas will be departing from Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston on Thursday 2nd February, 2012, with a group of 80 American travellers onboard.
This will be one of the first opportunities for American residents in Texas to legally take Cuba holidays under the new law that allows licensed travellers from the United States to visit the Caribbean island for religious, cultural, educational, academic, agricultural or professional purposes.
The Miami-based 737, which belongs to Miami Air International, will be carrying 80 passengers who booked their “people-to-people” holidays to Cuba through Marazul Charters.
Last year, President Barack Obama eased Cuba travel restrictions for American residents and in March, 2012 Bush Intercontinental Airport was cleared as one of the U.S airports that could offer direct charter flights to Cuba.
The Airport System issued a statement about the new flights to Havana, saying it was "a wonderful, historic opportunity" that could help the Houston airport to become a major "gateway" to Cuba.
Image by: kevincrumbs, on Flickr
The statement said: "While we do not have word today on any other charters over the near term, this is the first of what we expect will be many flights between Houston and Cuba as IAH becomes the gateway of choice for travellers authorised to fly to Cuba by the U.S. government."
The beautiful Caribbean island has been preparing for the influx of American visitors and tourism officials are welcoming the boost to the country’s tourism industry and economy as new American visitors eat in restaurants, stay in Cuba hotels and visit the island’s tourist attractions such as the museums, nature parks and beaches.
Image by: Reverend Sam, on Flickr
The decades-long embargo has prohibited American travellers from going on holidays to Cuba but President Obama relaxed the rules in January, 2011. Cuban-Americans, who were once restricted to limited travel back to their homeland (once every two years), can now freely return to Cuba under the new law.
Until recently, the only U.S airports who were permitted to operate Cuba flights were Miami, Los Angeles and New York. Several new airports have recently been added to the list and include Tampa, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Los Angeles, Baltimore-Washington International, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...