Bush Intercontinental Airport to Launch First Cuba Flights This Week
A large group of American travellers will be setting off on their Cuba holidays aboard the first charter flight from Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston, Texas on Thursday 2nd February with a special "people-to-people" trip through Marazul Charters.
The first Cuba-bound flight from Texas will be departing from Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston on Thursday 2nd February, 2012, with a group of 80 American travellers onboard.
This will be one of the first opportunities for American residents in Texas to legally take Cuba holidays under the new law that allows licensed travellers from the United States to visit the Caribbean island for religious, cultural, educational, academic, agricultural or professional purposes.
The Miami-based 737, which belongs to Miami Air International, will be carrying 80 passengers who booked their “people-to-people” holidays to Cuba through Marazul Charters.
Last year, President Barack Obama eased Cuba travel restrictions for American residents and in March, 2012 Bush Intercontinental Airport was cleared as one of the U.S airports that could offer direct charter flights to Cuba.
The Airport System issued a statement about the new flights to Havana, saying it was "a wonderful, historic opportunity" that could help the Houston airport to become a major "gateway" to Cuba.
Image by: kevincrumbs, on Flickr
The statement said: "While we do not have word today on any other charters over the near term, this is the first of what we expect will be many flights between Houston and Cuba as IAH becomes the gateway of choice for travellers authorised to fly to Cuba by the U.S. government."
The beautiful Caribbean island has been preparing for the influx of American visitors and tourism officials are welcoming the boost to the country’s tourism industry and economy as new American visitors eat in restaurants, stay in Cuba hotels and visit the island’s tourist attractions such as the museums, nature parks and beaches.
Image by: Reverend Sam, on Flickr
The decades-long embargo has prohibited American travellers from going on holidays to Cuba but President Obama relaxed the rules in January, 2011. Cuban-Americans, who were once restricted to limited travel back to their homeland (once every two years), can now freely return to Cuba under the new law.
Until recently, the only U.S airports who were permitted to operate Cuba flights were Miami, Los Angeles and New York. Several new airports have recently been added to the list and include Tampa, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Los Angeles, Baltimore-Washington International, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...