Bush Intercontinental Airport to Launch First Cuba Flights This Week
A large group of American travellers will be setting off on their Cuba holidays aboard the first charter flight from Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston, Texas on Thursday 2nd February with a special "people-to-people" trip through Marazul Charters.
The first Cuba-bound flight from Texas will be departing from Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston on Thursday 2nd February, 2012, with a group of 80 American travellers onboard.
This will be one of the first opportunities for American residents in Texas to legally take Cuba holidays under the new law that allows licensed travellers from the United States to visit the Caribbean island for religious, cultural, educational, academic, agricultural or professional purposes.
The Miami-based 737, which belongs to Miami Air International, will be carrying 80 passengers who booked their “people-to-people” holidays to Cuba through Marazul Charters.
Last year, President Barack Obama eased Cuba travel restrictions for American residents and in March, 2012 Bush Intercontinental Airport was cleared as one of the U.S airports that could offer direct charter flights to Cuba.
The Airport System issued a statement about the new flights to Havana, saying it was "a wonderful, historic opportunity" that could help the Houston airport to become a major "gateway" to Cuba.
Image by: kevincrumbs, on Flickr
The statement said: "While we do not have word today on any other charters over the near term, this is the first of what we expect will be many flights between Houston and Cuba as IAH becomes the gateway of choice for travellers authorised to fly to Cuba by the U.S. government."
The beautiful Caribbean island has been preparing for the influx of American visitors and tourism officials are welcoming the boost to the country’s tourism industry and economy as new American visitors eat in restaurants, stay in Cuba hotels and visit the island’s tourist attractions such as the museums, nature parks and beaches.
Image by: Reverend Sam, on Flickr
The decades-long embargo has prohibited American travellers from going on holidays to Cuba but President Obama relaxed the rules in January, 2011. Cuban-Americans, who were once restricted to limited travel back to their homeland (once every two years), can now freely return to Cuba under the new law.
Until recently, the only U.S airports who were permitted to operate Cuba flights were Miami, Los Angeles and New York. Several new airports have recently been added to the list and include Tampa, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Los Angeles, Baltimore-Washington International, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...