Bush Intercontinental Airport to Launch First Cuba Flights This Week
A large group of American travellers will be setting off on their Cuba holidays aboard the first charter flight from Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston, Texas on Thursday 2nd February with a special "people-to-people" trip through Marazul Charters.
The first Cuba-bound flight from Texas will be departing from Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston on Thursday 2nd February, 2012, with a group of 80 American travellers onboard.
This will be one of the first opportunities for American residents in Texas to legally take Cuba holidays under the new law that allows licensed travellers from the United States to visit the Caribbean island for religious, cultural, educational, academic, agricultural or professional purposes.
The Miami-based 737, which belongs to Miami Air International, will be carrying 80 passengers who booked their “people-to-people” holidays to Cuba through Marazul Charters.
Last year, President Barack Obama eased Cuba travel restrictions for American residents and in March, 2012 Bush Intercontinental Airport was cleared as one of the U.S airports that could offer direct charter flights to Cuba.
The Airport System issued a statement about the new flights to Havana, saying it was "a wonderful, historic opportunity" that could help the Houston airport to become a major "gateway" to Cuba.
Image by: kevincrumbs, on Flickr
The statement said: "While we do not have word today on any other charters over the near term, this is the first of what we expect will be many flights between Houston and Cuba as IAH becomes the gateway of choice for travellers authorised to fly to Cuba by the U.S. government."
The beautiful Caribbean island has been preparing for the influx of American visitors and tourism officials are welcoming the boost to the country’s tourism industry and economy as new American visitors eat in restaurants, stay in Cuba hotels and visit the island’s tourist attractions such as the museums, nature parks and beaches.
Image by: Reverend Sam, on Flickr
The decades-long embargo has prohibited American travellers from going on holidays to Cuba but President Obama relaxed the rules in January, 2011. Cuban-Americans, who were once restricted to limited travel back to their homeland (once every two years), can now freely return to Cuba under the new law.
Until recently, the only U.S airports who were permitted to operate Cuba flights were Miami, Los Angeles and New York. Several new airports have recently been added to the list and include Tampa, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Los Angeles, Baltimore-Washington International, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...