Jamaica Celebrates 50th Independence Anniversary with fun events for those planning Jamaica holidays
This year is set to be a busy one for Jamaica as it celebrates its 50th Anniversary with a series of special events. Tourists can enjoy fun Jamaica holidays with great events including the Jamaica Jazz & Blues Festival, fireworks, concerts, and carnivals.
Jamaica is celebrating its 50th Independence Anniversary with a series of events and fun activities that will take place throughout the year.
The Jamaica Jazz & Blues Festival attracted thousands of local residents and tourists who were enjoying fun Jamaica holidays last weekend. Musicians and artists on the stage included Celine Dion, Damian 'Junior Gong' Marley and Destra who celebrated the island’s anniversary of independence.
There will be numerous events and activities taking place every month throughout the year and visitors of all ages will be able to join in, whether they are going on relaxing holidays in Jamaica or celebrating their own special anniversaries or weddings on the Caribbean island.
On 6th August, 2012 the country will celebrate the official Independence Day with festivities and a carnival. August will also be a busy month for Jamaican athletes and sports enthusiasts with the London 2012 Olympics.
The Jamaica Village in Finsbury Park, London will be home to the Jamaican Olympic team and visitors to the village can enjoy activities and entertainment that reflect the laidback and fun Jamaican lifestyle between 3rd and 12th August.
There is no better time to plan special Jamaica holidays and the beautiful island has pulled out all the stops to create a year full of top entertainment and events.
Image by: Levar VisualEmbrace Gordon, on Flickr
The schedule includes Reggae Month in February; the Fun in the Son Gospel Festival in March; Regional Festival of Foods, Treasure Beach Off-the-Road Triathlon, and Kite Festival in April; the Jamaica Observer Food Awards in May; the Ocho Rios Jazz & Blues Festival in June; Little Ochi Seafood Carnival and International Reggae Day Events in July; Olympic Celebrations in August; Aquacade – Downtown Regatta & CultureFest in September; Heritage Festival in October; Open & Pro Am Golf Tournament and the Awards Ceremony in November; and a Concert & Fireworks in December.
The 50th anniversary is also being celebrated in other countries too and Canada is commemorating the historic event by highlighting the best of Jamaica with year-long events in Toronto including a flash-mob-style series called Jump Tuesdays; a coffee table book on Outstanding Jamaicans in Canada; a Celebrity Pro/Am Golf Tour in Jamaica; and the Jamaica Land We Love Gala which will feature literature, dance and art.
Image by: Elvir72, on Flickr
Jamaica is situated in the Caribbean Sea and is one of the world’s leading tourist destinations. With white sand beaches fringed with turquoise warm ocean waters, majestic mountains and lush rolling green hills and forests, travellers will be spoilt for choice during tropical holidays in Jamaica.
Last year, Jamaica was awarded as the “Caribbean’s Leading Destination” for the sixth year in a row and numerous Jamaica hotels were honoured at the gala ceremony that took place at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort & Private Island n Montego Bay.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Book now and take advantage of a fantastic room upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Deluxe Ocean View Room
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks at a choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Incredible Savings of up to 50%, book and save up to £800 per person!
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...