Cuba promotes facilities for golfing Cuba holidays with next Golf Competition in Varadero
With the next golf competition in Varadero taking place in March 2012, tourism authorities in Cuba are taking the opportunity to promote golfing in Cuba as a desirable sport to enjoy during Cuba holidays at one of the island's championshing golf courses.
With the next and fourth edition of the Montecristo Cup International Tournamet taking place in a couple of months, Cuban tourism authoritities are working hard to promote not only the biggest golfing event in the island but also to the island's excellent (and currently in expansion) golfing facilities in order to attract more golf enthusiasts to Cuba holidays in Varadero, the resort with Cuba's first and only championship golf course, at least for now, as further golf courses are currently under construction.
The 4th Montecristo Cup International Tournament will be taking place from 19th - 21st March 2012 in the Varadero Golf Club and executives from the Ministry of Tourism announced that this time around there will be three categories in competition, two for men and one for women.
Organisers of the event announced that this year's competition would count with the participation of amateur player from several countries around the world and they were expecting Varadero hotels to fill up with golf enthusiasts in the week leading up to the event.
Image by: Gudmundsson, on Flickr
Guillermo Gutierrez, vice-president of the Varadero golf competition's organising committee said that this time around they will be taking advantage of the proximity to the U.S. Open —the second major golf tournament of the season— to attract world-renowned players from that country to golfing holidays in Cuba for their participation in the event.
The golfing event, which has taken place every year in the popular beahch resort of Varadero since its foundation in 2009, helps to promote Cuba holidays and confirm the potential for further developing the practice of this sport in the island, and support new projects for the creation of more golf courses island-wide.
Image by: Esencia1, on Flickr
In recent months, Cuban officials announced they were negotiating with international companies to build 16 new golf courses in Cuba as a strategy to diversify the island's tourism offer and keep up with demand.
In Cuba, at present, there are only two golf courses: the Varadero Golf Club, a championship golf course with 18 holes and 69 hectares, and the Capdevila Golf Club, in Havana, which is smaller.
A recent official report revealed that golf pros like Peter Walton, the chief executive of the International Association of Golf Tour Operators based in London, United Kingdom, believe that Cuba could become the next biggest hotspot in the Caribbean for golf lovers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...