After adding Cuba flights in 2011, Mexico's Interjet Airlines strengthen relations with Cuba
News coming from Havana, Cuba indicates that Mexico's Interjet Airlines will be seeking to further strengthen its relationship with the Caribbean island in the years to come. The airline first began providing Cuba flights in August 2011.
Cuba’s Havanatur Group recently released a statement announcing that Mexico’s budget airline and one of the current air carriers providing Cuba flights from Mexico, Interjet Airlines, is seeking to bolster its relationship with Cuba’s Ministry of Toursim.
The announcement followed a visit to Cuba made by an Interjet delegation led by the airline’s Director General, Jose Luis Garza. The delegation met with representatives from Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism, executives from Cuban tour agencies and Cuba hotels as well members of staff from the Mexican Embassy based in Cuba. Details of the steps that will be taken to strengthen ties between the two entities are yet to be released. However, it is clear that InterJet, Havantur and the Cuban government will be working together to the benefit of the tourism industry with the aim of having enticing more Mexican travellers to book Cuba holidays in the years to come.
Image by: Robin Thom, on Flickr
Interjet began offering daily cheap Cuba flights from Mexico City to Havana as recently as August 2011. The privately owned airline has stepped in taking to take over slots vacated by troubled carrier Mexicana which filed for bankruptcy in late 2010. Cuba is now one of the few international destinations that Interjet flies to, along with other geographically close destinations in Central America like Guatemala City. The airline is known not only for providing cheap flights, perfect for those customers hoping to bag bargain flights to Cuba, but also the spacious legroom offered in their economy class seats.
Interjet who first began operations on 5th December 2005, boasts a fleet of 31 Airbus A320 aircrafts and describes itself as “one of the most efficient and profitable airlines, both in Latin America and around the world”. A partnership with the up and coming airline will no doubt prove beneficial to the Cuban government as it seeks to capitalise on the buzz surrounding the development of Cuba as one of the top holiday destinations in the coming years and convert this growing interest into hard cash, much needed for the island’s ailing economy.
Image by: stephenk1977, on Flickr
Cuba has fast become one of the Caribbean’s leading destinations, as reflected in an official report from the island that showed that the island has become the third leading Caribbean holiday spot in less than 10 years, a feat made even more impressive when taking into account the fact that it has not had access to 50 per cent of the U.S. tourism market. While Canada remains the largest contributor to Cuban tourism with most of the international travellers taking Cuba holidays originating from this North American country, Mexico is listed as one of their many key markets; underscoring the importance of the island’s budding relationship with Interjet.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...