After adding Cuba flights in 2011, Mexico's Interjet Airlines strengthen relations with Cuba
News coming from Havana, Cuba indicates that Mexico's Interjet Airlines will be seeking to further strengthen its relationship with the Caribbean island in the years to come. The airline first began providing Cuba flights in August 2011.
Cuba’s Havanatur Group recently released a statement announcing that Mexico’s budget airline and one of the current air carriers providing Cuba flights from Mexico, Interjet Airlines, is seeking to bolster its relationship with Cuba’s Ministry of Toursim.
The announcement followed a visit to Cuba made by an Interjet delegation led by the airline’s Director General, Jose Luis Garza. The delegation met with representatives from Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism, executives from Cuban tour agencies and Cuba hotels as well members of staff from the Mexican Embassy based in Cuba. Details of the steps that will be taken to strengthen ties between the two entities are yet to be released. However, it is clear that InterJet, Havantur and the Cuban government will be working together to the benefit of the tourism industry with the aim of having enticing more Mexican travellers to book Cuba holidays in the years to come.
Image by: Robin Thom, on Flickr
Interjet began offering daily cheap Cuba flights from Mexico City to Havana as recently as August 2011. The privately owned airline has stepped in taking to take over slots vacated by troubled carrier Mexicana which filed for bankruptcy in late 2010. Cuba is now one of the few international destinations that Interjet flies to, along with other geographically close destinations in Central America like Guatemala City. The airline is known not only for providing cheap flights, perfect for those customers hoping to bag bargain flights to Cuba, but also the spacious legroom offered in their economy class seats.
Interjet who first began operations on 5th December 2005, boasts a fleet of 31 Airbus A320 aircrafts and describes itself as “one of the most efficient and profitable airlines, both in Latin America and around the world”. A partnership with the up and coming airline will no doubt prove beneficial to the Cuban government as it seeks to capitalise on the buzz surrounding the development of Cuba as one of the top holiday destinations in the coming years and convert this growing interest into hard cash, much needed for the island’s ailing economy.
Image by: stephenk1977, on Flickr
Cuba has fast become one of the Caribbean’s leading destinations, as reflected in an official report from the island that showed that the island has become the third leading Caribbean holiday spot in less than 10 years, a feat made even more impressive when taking into account the fact that it has not had access to 50 per cent of the U.S. tourism market. While Canada remains the largest contributor to Cuban tourism with most of the international travellers taking Cuba holidays originating from this North American country, Mexico is listed as one of their many key markets; underscoring the importance of the island’s budding relationship with Interjet.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...