18 years on, tourism firm Habaguanex has big role in the success of Cuba holidays
Celebrating 18 glorious years of success that have seen the opening of many new and restored Cuba hotels in Havana, as well as restaurants, entertainment venues and shops, Habaguanex S.A. has been a key player in the growing popularity of Cuba holidays.
Founded by the Historian of the City of Havana, the hotel and tourism firm responsible for restoring old buildings in the old part of Cuba’s colonial capital and transforming them into comfortable hotels with modern facilities while maintaining the original colonial décor, Habaguanex has grown beyond the boundaries of Havana and expanded into other Cuban provinces, to the point that today it has a strong impact on Cuba’s tourism as a whole.
Eighteen years after its creation by the Office of the Historian of the City, Habaguanex S.A. has continued growing in all areas of Cuba’s tourism, despite often being mainly linked to the preservation and restoration of tourism attractions in the old parts of the capital. Nowadays, Habaguanex has expanded into new areas to offer travellers with improved services and facilities during Cuba holidays, whatever their destination in Cuba, but especially in areas of natural conservation and high historical and cultural value.
With a name that pays homage to native Amerindian cacique (chief) that ruled over the region that is now known as Havana, Habaguanex appeared on the Cuba holidays market on 6th January 1994, and from then on it has gone from strength to strength, successfully delivering unique Cuba experiences for travellers with enriching cultural holidays all over the Cuban archipelago, newly created guided tours in Havana and special excursions all over the island.
Image by: Robin Thom, on Flickr
This month the tourism company is celebrating 18 years of existence and success on Cuba’s booming tourism industry, and as such the Cuban government printed an official note about the company's key role in Cuba's flourishing holiday industry.
After having restored over a dozen of Havana hotels, transforming old colonial mansions and palatial mansions and returning them to their former glory and after having opened new restaurants to give more options to tourists enjoying Havana holidays, Habaguanex has been declared as the one and only "hotel and extra-hotel network that opens the doors of Old Havana to the world and is distinguished for being both a witness and major player in the recovery of the Historical Center, declared Heritage of Mankind by UNESCO in 1982", as reads the note published by the government.
Image by: remcoishere, on Flickr
Giving a summary of its work in 2011, the note added that las year marked yet another successful period with the opening of yet more restaurants in Havana, cafeterias, shops and stores, such as the first Casa del Arroz (House of Rice), located at Plaza Vieja in Old Havana.
The published report also mentions the opening of the new store of Ceramicas Sargadelos, located on O'Reilly Street, or the new cafeteria La Pergola, on Obispo Street, both also located in the Old Town.
They had a process of remodeling Cuba hotels and restaurants in Havana which were reopened at the end of last year, as the Meson de la Flota (Tavern of the Fleet), hotels Florida and Marques de Prado Ameno, and the restaurants La Casa de la Parra and Torrelavega.
Habaguanex S.A's projects for 2012 include the opening of its hotel number 20, El Terral, located near the Malecon (Seaside Promenade), and expected to be available to guests booking holidays to Cuba by mid 2011.
The company manages over 100 establishments in the old part of Havana, 2,2 square kms that preserve the traditions, culture and other important elements of the city.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj mahal of Agra
- Perfect tour to introduce you to India, Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour.
- Experience the street life of Delhi, Delhi is a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
With all the modern facilities and comforts you would expect from a 4* hotel, this hotel is set within central Al Barsha...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...