18 years on, tourism firm Habaguanex has big role in the success of Cuba holidays
Celebrating 18 glorious years of success that have seen the opening of many new and restored Cuba hotels in Havana, as well as restaurants, entertainment venues and shops, Habaguanex S.A. has been a key player in the growing popularity of Cuba holidays.
Founded by the Historian of the City of Havana, the hotel and tourism firm responsible for restoring old buildings in the old part of Cuba’s colonial capital and transforming them into comfortable hotels with modern facilities while maintaining the original colonial décor, Habaguanex has grown beyond the boundaries of Havana and expanded into other Cuban provinces, to the point that today it has a strong impact on Cuba’s tourism as a whole.
Eighteen years after its creation by the Office of the Historian of the City, Habaguanex S.A. has continued growing in all areas of Cuba’s tourism, despite often being mainly linked to the preservation and restoration of tourism attractions in the old parts of the capital. Nowadays, Habaguanex has expanded into new areas to offer travellers with improved services and facilities during Cuba holidays, whatever their destination in Cuba, but especially in areas of natural conservation and high historical and cultural value.
With a name that pays homage to native Amerindian cacique (chief) that ruled over the region that is now known as Havana, Habaguanex appeared on the Cuba holidays market on 6th January 1994, and from then on it has gone from strength to strength, successfully delivering unique Cuba experiences for travellers with enriching cultural holidays all over the Cuban archipelago, newly created guided tours in Havana and special excursions all over the island.
Image by: Robin Thom, on Flickr
This month the tourism company is celebrating 18 years of existence and success on Cuba’s booming tourism industry, and as such the Cuban government printed an official note about the company's key role in Cuba's flourishing holiday industry.
After having restored over a dozen of Havana hotels, transforming old colonial mansions and palatial mansions and returning them to their former glory and after having opened new restaurants to give more options to tourists enjoying Havana holidays, Habaguanex has been declared as the one and only "hotel and extra-hotel network that opens the doors of Old Havana to the world and is distinguished for being both a witness and major player in the recovery of the Historical Center, declared Heritage of Mankind by UNESCO in 1982", as reads the note published by the government.
Image by: remcoishere, on Flickr
Giving a summary of its work in 2011, the note added that las year marked yet another successful period with the opening of yet more restaurants in Havana, cafeterias, shops and stores, such as the first Casa del Arroz (House of Rice), located at Plaza Vieja in Old Havana.
The published report also mentions the opening of the new store of Ceramicas Sargadelos, located on O'Reilly Street, or the new cafeteria La Pergola, on Obispo Street, both also located in the Old Town.
They had a process of remodeling Cuba hotels and restaurants in Havana which were reopened at the end of last year, as the Meson de la Flota (Tavern of the Fleet), hotels Florida and Marques de Prado Ameno, and the restaurants La Casa de la Parra and Torrelavega.
Habaguanex S.A's projects for 2012 include the opening of its hotel number 20, El Terral, located near the Malecon (Seaside Promenade), and expected to be available to guests booking holidays to Cuba by mid 2011.
The company manages over 100 establishments in the old part of Havana, 2,2 square kms that preserve the traditions, culture and other important elements of the city.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Unwind in an adults-only paradise upon white sands with a FREE room upgrade and HALF price accomodation
Stay in pure paradise at Pineapple Beach Club, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa or keep active all the selection of All-Inclusive water and on land activities included during your stay
- Formerly Grand Pineapple Beach Resort, The Pineapple Beach Club is a newly renovated Adults-Only All Inclusive Paradise
- Book and save up to 50%Summer just got better with savings of up to 50% plus a FREE ROOM UPGRADE in selected rooms
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...