Dubai Shopping Festival 2012 in Full Swing
The 17th edition of the Dubai Shopping Festival is in full swing this month and with just over one week to go travellers will still find plenty of entertainment and fantastic tax-free discounts to take advantage of during their Dubai holidays this January
This year’s Dubai Shopping Festival has attracted thousands of tourists to the city and it’s not just the shops and malls that are enjoying the increase in business; hotels and tourist attractions are also enjoying the tourism surge.
Many travellers from the UK, China, India and the GCC book their Dubai holidays in January especially for the event so they can take advantage of special discounts, entertainment and tax-free purchases. Dubai hotels located next to the shopping malls are benefitting from shopaholic guests who are keen to grab a bargain during the month-long event.
A spokesperson for Kempinski Hotel, Mall of the Emirates, said that the festival is a key period for them as shoppers enjoy luxury holidays in the city.
"We have seen an increase in bookings from the GCC during the DSF period for leisure visits to Dubai,” he noted.
“We expect that most of these guests have come to experience the shopping festival."
Image by: jack n'd box, on Flickr
This year’s festival with the slogan 'One Family, One World, One Festival' is the 17th edition and visitors can enjoy a wealth of entertainment including musical shows, international fashion shows, street performances, themed carnivals, nightly fireworks, artists’ performances, film festivals, and cultural events that reflect Dubai’s charm and hospitality.
Leila Suhail, the CEO of the Dubai Events and Promotions Establishment (DEPE), said that four million people attended the festival in 2011 including 884,660 tourists from regional and international countries who took holidays to Dubai during the festival month.
"The Dubai Shopping Festival plays a major role in supporting the economy of Dubai and boosting it in various sectors," explained Suhail.
Image by: zeddy1200, on Flickr
Approximately 6,000 shops and 50 shopping malls are taking part in the 2012 event and retailers are offering up to 75 per cent discounts on a variety of products including clothes, perfumes, jewellery, major brands, watches, electronics, carpets and crafts, enabling tourists to take home a choice of souvenirs from their holiday in Dubai.
As well as receiving significant discounts at shops and malls, visitors enjoying Dubai holidays during this festive shopping month will also have the chance to win some fantastic prizes throughout the duration of the festival. Prizes include as a LX570 car and Dh.100, 000 in cash in the Lexus Mega Raffle and the chance to win 21kilos of gold worth Dh.4.5mn through raffle draws with The Dubai Gold and Jewellery Group.
The Dubai Shopping Festival runs from 5th January to 5th February, 2012 and is widely celebrated in thousands of venues across the city.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Bask in private palm-lined beach glory that's just 15 minutes from the Dubai Marina in a place where it's all included
- Choose from excellent restaurants serving a variety of world cuisines including French, Mediterranean and Thai
- Go for a round of golf at the onsite 9-hole Golf course or explore the are on horseback
- book your stay including tickets to the family entertainment park Dubai Parks & Resort - ask our team now
The location on the world famous, Palm Jumeirah, provides superb access to white sandy beaches.
- Nestled on the quiet, pristine West Crescent of Dubai’s iconic Palm Jumeirah
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- FREE Half Board upgrade
- Up to two kids stay and play FREE
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
A mix of colonial heritage and contemporary design with tropical accents, The Ravenala Attitude is the first 4-star,...
Zabeel House Mini by Jumeirah is a playful, pocket friendly hotel high on design and low on complexity. Perfectly...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...