Dubai Shopping Festival 2012 in Full Swing
The 17th edition of the Dubai Shopping Festival is in full swing this month and with just over one week to go travellers will still find plenty of entertainment and fantastic tax-free discounts to take advantage of during their Dubai holidays this January
This year’s Dubai Shopping Festival has attracted thousands of tourists to the city and it’s not just the shops and malls that are enjoying the increase in business; hotels and tourist attractions are also enjoying the tourism surge.
Many travellers from the UK, China, India and the GCC book their Dubai holidays in January especially for the event so they can take advantage of special discounts, entertainment and tax-free purchases. Dubai hotels located next to the shopping malls are benefitting from shopaholic guests who are keen to grab a bargain during the month-long event.
A spokesperson for Kempinski Hotel, Mall of the Emirates, said that the festival is a key period for them as shoppers enjoy luxury holidays in the city.
"We have seen an increase in bookings from the GCC during the DSF period for leisure visits to Dubai,” he noted.
“We expect that most of these guests have come to experience the shopping festival."
Image by: jack n'd box, on Flickr
This year’s festival with the slogan 'One Family, One World, One Festival' is the 17th edition and visitors can enjoy a wealth of entertainment including musical shows, international fashion shows, street performances, themed carnivals, nightly fireworks, artists’ performances, film festivals, and cultural events that reflect Dubai’s charm and hospitality.
Leila Suhail, the CEO of the Dubai Events and Promotions Establishment (DEPE), said that four million people attended the festival in 2011 including 884,660 tourists from regional and international countries who took holidays to Dubai during the festival month.
"The Dubai Shopping Festival plays a major role in supporting the economy of Dubai and boosting it in various sectors," explained Suhail.
Image by: zeddy1200, on Flickr
Approximately 6,000 shops and 50 shopping malls are taking part in the 2012 event and retailers are offering up to 75 per cent discounts on a variety of products including clothes, perfumes, jewellery, major brands, watches, electronics, carpets and crafts, enabling tourists to take home a choice of souvenirs from their holiday in Dubai.
As well as receiving significant discounts at shops and malls, visitors enjoying Dubai holidays during this festive shopping month will also have the chance to win some fantastic prizes throughout the duration of the festival. Prizes include as a LX570 car and Dh.100, 000 in cash in the Lexus Mega Raffle and the chance to win 21kilos of gold worth Dh.4.5mn through raffle draws with The Dubai Gold and Jewellery Group.
The Dubai Shopping Festival runs from 5th January to 5th February, 2012 and is widely celebrated in thousands of venues across the city.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Bask in private palm-lined beach glory that's just 15 minutes from the Dubai Marina in a place where it's all included
- Choose from excellent restaurants serving a variety of world cuisines including French, Mediterranean and Thai
- Go for a round of golf at the onsite 9-hole Golf course or explore the are on horseback
- book your stay including tickets to the family entertainment park Dubai Parks & Resort - ask our team now
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
Relax and enjoy your stay at this five-star resort excellent choice for families
- Enjoy many additional complimentary benefits when staying in the newly refurbished superior rooms
- First child stay free on bed and breakfast up to the age of 14 when sharing with parents
- Amazing choice of award winning restaurants and bars
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...
Dubai has emerged as a top tourist destination for travellers across the globe. The city of Dubai in UAE reflects the...