Seychelles Eco-Friendly Marathon 2012 to take place in February
The fifth edition of the Seychelles Eco-Friendly Marathon will be taking place on 26th February, 2012. The marathon promotes the nation's natural beauty and attracts several hundred local runners, plus tourists who take part during Seychelles holidays.
Hundreds of runners are getting ready for the fifth edition of the annual Seychelles Eco-Friendly Marathon that will be taking place on 26th February, 2012. The sporting event attracts over 300 overseas participants who book Seychelles holidays especially for the race, plus several hundred local residents.
The marathon was first initiated in 2008 by Dong Chang Jeong, the Seychelles Honorary Consul General for South Korea, and the head of the Seychelles Tourist Office in Korea, in a bid to promote eco-friendly Seychelles holidays and to unite tourists and local island residents.
The 2012 Seychelles Eco-Friendly Marathon will start at Beau Vallon on the main island of Mahe at 7:00 am and runners will cover the northern and north-eastern regions of the main island and the capital Victoria.
The race is catered towards all fitness levels and one of the main reasons behind the event is to promote healthy exercise within beautiful natural surroundings.
Image by: evhead, on Flickr
All participants will receive a t-shirt and an Official Time Certificate and the winners of the top five categories will receive medals and prizes. Tourists who are looking to take part in the marathon during their holidays to the Seychelles must submit their registration by the 31st January, 2012 and local residents have until 15th February, 2012.
Following the marathon, a Korean Night event will be held at the Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay hotel, one of the leading Seychelles hotels, that evening where participants will be able to sample traditional Korean cuisine and culture. Winners of the marathon and half-marathon will be presented their awards in a prize-giving ceremony.
The Seychelles is an island nation situated in the Indian Ocean northeast of Madagascar spanning 115 beautiful islands. The archipelago boasts breathtaking natural landscapes made up of pristine white sand palm-fringed beaches, azure crystal-clear ocean waters and lagoons, lush green forests and rolling green hills.
The islands offer the perfect getaway for romantic holidays in the Seychelles, weddings and honeymoons. Scuba divers and snorkelers will be in paradise thanks to the warm crystal clear ocean waters that are teeming with spectacular marine species such as colourful fish, vibrant corals, sea turtles, crabs, lobsters, manta rays, dolphins and sharks.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Seychelles Browse all
Swim around some of the most amazing under water sites in the world at the Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort and Spa
- Discover incredible flora and fauna including giant tortoise and incense trees
- Choose from a range of casual to gourmet dining options, or opt for an in-villa or under the stars experience
- Indulge in a spa treatment in a magical setting
Treat yourself to a luxury break in the Seychelles combined with an exciting stay in Dubai
- Take advantage of the close proximity to all the local attractions in Dubai
- Discover a wide range of exquisite dining options in the Seychelles
- Practice yoga in the natural surroundings of Silhouette Island
Set in the breath-taking lagoon area of Mahe, this is certainly a resort that offers elegance as well as an exquisite setting.
- Dining options to suit all tastes from gourmet experiences to casual fare
- Indulge in spa treatments including Elemental Herbology for ultimate skin conditioning
- Swim in the Olympic-length swimming pool, try your luck at the casino and children will love the kids club
Explore the natural landscapes and wildlife that South Africa has to offer, before experiencing the Paradise of Seychelles.
- Have the time of your life, combining the best of both worlds!
- The resort is set between a turquoise lagoon and verdant green hills, beside its own bay of white sands. The resort is on the west coast of Mahe, just 35 minutes from the international airport.
- 5 days self drive tour in South Africa
Prepare yourself for a memorable 8-day holiday with your family at the avani seychelles , where you will be able to...
Located on the largest island of the Seychelles, Mahe, the Kempinski Seychelles boasts modern luxury rooms and suites...
The unique all-villa Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa is located on the tropical island of Silhouette, where...
Set 25m from the Au Cap beach on the Island of Mahe lies the cheerful Reef Holiday Apartments. These affordable...
Located in the south of Mahe Island, Au Fond De Mer View is a family-run hotel with stunning views of Anse Royale bay....
Situated on the northern coast of Mahe, Villa Koket is ideal for those looking for a peaceful self-catering getaway near...