Maldives Government lifts nationwide ban on spas
The Maldives government has lifted a nationwide ban on spas that was enforced when protesters said they were being used as brothels by tourists during Maldives holidays. The President has lifted the ban while they wait for the Supreme Court's verdict.
A ban that was enforced on spas and massage parlours in the Maldives has been lifted by the Maldives government. Islamic protesters took to the streets of Male in December saying that the spas were being used as brothels by tourists taking Maldives holidays but the Maldives President Mohamed Nasheed has established that this is not the case.
"There was a huge demonstration in Male against spas, saying they were brothels," President Nasheed explained. "We had to respect the crowd so we ordered a quality control regarding their use. We found that they are perfectly healthy and places where families can obtain top class treatment. We feel comfortable that we can now open the spas."
Private tourism business in the Maldives sought the intervention of the Supreme Court to lift the ban, saying it was unnecessary and it would deprive them of business from international tourists. The ban has been lifted as they wait for a decision from the court. The president explained that the majority of Maldivians reject religious extremism and he urges the country to continue with the moderate form of Islam that the nation has followed for the past 800 years.
Image by: Sarah_Ackerman, on Flickr
The President added: "The extremist demonstration on December 23rd attracted a sizeable crowd. But their radical demands awoke the silent majority who categorically reject extremism."
The Maldives heavily relies on tourism and is renowned for being a luxury destination for celebrities, honeymooners and high end travellers. Last year, over 850,000 tourists took holidays to the Maldives and enjoyed the archipelago's white sand palm-fringed beaches, turquoise blue lagoons, and crystal clear ocean waters that are teeming with vibrant corals, reefs, and multi-coloured fish.
The Indian Ocean nation boasts secluded islands that offer a collection of luxury Maldives hotels with upscale accommodation and facilities such as spas and gourmet restaurants. During holidays in the Maldives, guests can take part in a range of activities including snorkelling, scuba diving, boat excursions, hiking through tropical forests and relaxing on unspoiled pristine beaches.
If the ban were to be permanently enforced, many resorts and hotels in the Maldives would lose business because they cater towards tourists who are seeking luxury spa breaks.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....