Cuba expects to record 8.2 percent growth in tourism in 2011
The number of tourists who went on Cuba holidays in 2011 is expected to have increased by 8.2 per cent according to a report presented by Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero to the Cuban Parliament with Canadians as the main visitors to the Caribbean island.
The Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero, has presented a report to the Cuban Parliament showing that the number of tourists who visited Cuba in 2011 is expected to increase by 8.2 per cent compared to 2010.
According to Marrero, 2.7 million people took Cuba holidays last year up until November and the island was expecting to receive one million tourists from Canada before the year ended.
Preliminary data from the National Statistics Office revealed that international tourism in Cuba had increased by 7.6 percent until late November 2011, and up until that period, 2.43 million foreign tourists chose holidays in Cuba.
The Cuban Ministry of Tourism said that by the end of December 2011, more than 2.5 million foreign tourists will have visited Cuba for the eighth consecutive year.
The island nation has become the third major tourist destination in the Caribbean over the past decade despite having no visitors from the United States because of the ongoing travel embargo.
Cuba travel is now being made accessible to American tourists after U.S President Barack Obama eased restrictions on holidays to Cuba for religious, cultural, academic and educational purposes.
The President relaxed restrictions on the decades-long U.S-Cuba travel embargo in January last year and many airlines and ferry companies have already commenced charter services between airports and ports in the U.S to Cuba.
New Cuba hotels and restaurants are opening up across provincial towns across the Caribbean island in preparation for the predicted influx of tourists from America.
Last year, Leisure Canada signed an agreement with UK-based PGA which will allow the Toronto-based company to use PGA's brand across its development of three new luxury hotels in Cuba that will be located in new golf resorts.
Popular holiday destinations in Cuba include Varadero which is home to 20 km of pristine beaches and upscale hotels and resorts; Villa Clara that boasts a northern coast dotted with an array of cays with white sand beaches, coral reefs and thriving nature parks; and Havana, the country's capital city that oozes culture, history, traditions and Cuban charm.
The majority of visitors to Cuba's arrive from Canada, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, France, Argentina, Russia and Mexico.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...