More tourists taking Cuba holidays in 2011 as country achieves new record in tourist arrivals
Last Tuesday, international tourist arrivals to Cuba surpassed the total of 2,351,745 visitors, a figure reached in 2010. A smashing new record was achieved, with Canada as the main source of tourists enjoying Cuba holidays, followed by the UK in Europe.
The Caribbean island nation of Cuba has always been a popular tourism destination due to its beautiful natural attributes, white-sand beaches and compelling history. Last Tuesday, the number of international tourists arriving in the island broke a new record, surpassing a total of 2,351,745 visitors in 2011, according to the Cuban Ministry of Tourism (Mintur). Canada maintains its position as Cuba’s main tourism market source of visitors to the island, and the United Kingdom occupies second place in the number of British travellers going on Cuba holidays, being Cuba's most important source of tourists in Europe.
According to a press communique from the Cuban Ministry of Tourism, last 13th December, Cuba went beyond the 2,531,745 visitor mark reached in 2010. When speaking of this wonderful achievement, Mintur (Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism) pointed out that “the new record was reached 18 days before the year 2011 concluded, which means that from now on, each passenger will be part of a new record.”
Image by: stephenk1977, on Flickr
The Mintur also indicated that tourism is an essential industry for the Cuban economy, which is strongly supported by a group of foreign travel markets, with Canada as the most significant source of visitors going on holidays to Cuba. The United Kingdom is the second most important source, and the main source in Europe but the number of travellers from other European countries is also growing, as well as the amount of holidaymakers coming from Latin America, among which Argentina and Russia are the most rapidly-growing markets with the highest reported growth in the number of tourists from these nations taking Cuba holidays.
“The newly-established record marks a new standard in the development of the Cuban tourism industry; keeping in mind that we are a young destination with a small geographic area (...) Receiving more than two million tourists per year is evidence of Cuba’s significant position in the scenario of world tourism, given the present difficult international situation,” part of the press announcement reads.
Image by: Ulysse2001, on Flickr
By making sure that quality and hospitality services in Cuba hotels maintain its high level, the tourism industry hopes to increase the figures obtained this year. Cuba aspires to boost the number of foreign visitor arrivals and get close to three million tourists in 2012 (2,0 million), after closing 2011 with nearly 2,7 million visitors, 200,000 more than in 2010, according to Mintur sources.
Varadero, located in the Hicacos Peninsula, Matanzas, is Cuba’s most important tourism destination. Last Thursday, the stunning 20-kilometre long beach resort of Varadero received a total of 1 million tourist arrivals since the start of 2011. These record figures were obtained with the help of the new arrival of the inaugural flight from British airline Thomas Cook . Located 130 km to the east of Cuba’s capital city of Havana, Varadero reaches a total of 1 million visitors for the fourth consecutive year, this time a week before the record was reached in 2010. Each year the popularity of Varadero holidays grows along with the attractiveness of other Cuban holiday destinations, including Cayo Santa Maria, Cayo Largo and Holguin.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...