Dominican Republic holidays also ideal for faith-based tourism
For many, Dominican Republic holidays are synonymous with romantic Caribbean getaways. However, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Santo Domingo is attempting to highlight that the island is also an ideal spot for religious tourism.
Despite the growing success of the Dominican Republic’s tourism sector, the Catholic Archdiocese of Santo Domingo feels that the island’s religious tourism industry is yet to reach its full potential. And with an increasing number of travellers choosing the Dominican Republic as their travel destination it's not hard to see why. According to official reports the number of people booking luxury holidays in the Dominican Republic is expected to have increased by five per cent in 2011 with the number of tourists in 2011 approaching a record breaking five million.
Located in the Caribbean island of Hispanola, the Dominican Republic is often thought to be synonymous with sun, sea and sand. As a testament to the beautiful beaches scattered across the nation, it has been awarded the most blue flag beaches in Latin America at the end of November 2011. However, fewer people are aware of the fact that the nation is steeped in 500 years of religious history; and this precisely is something that Catholic leaders in the Caribbean nation are hoping to change in the coming years.
In an effort to boost the religious tourism industry, the Archdiocese has been collaborating with local tourism officials to help showcase a different side to Dominican Republic holidays. Together, they have developed tours guiding holidaymakers along a route where they can expect to see various historical religious sites including churches, convents, hospitals and monasteries.
Catholic leaders in the Dominican Republic, and Latin America as whole, hope to distinguish themselves from their European peers by underscoring their less ornate design styles. Father Robert Higgins of the Diocese of Charleston, S.C stated, “You still find beautiful structures with all the gold and marble, but in Latin America it's in a more muted fashion…There is a level of simplicity and humility you find there.”
Faith-based tourism is a growing niche market, raking in approximately $18 billion globally. Popular destinations like the Holy Land have made the largest contributions to the industry; however, the Dominican Republic, along with other Latin American destinations, is becoming increasingly popular with religous travellers.
Kevin Wright, director of growth markets in the US based travel association, NTA noted that, “As a destination for faith-based tourism, we're seeing Latin America receive more attention than it has in the past, years ago, Latin America was barely on the radar, but in the "new era" of faith-based tourism, the region appeals to younger and more adventurous travellers”. It is the hope of Catholic leaders nation-wide that this growth continues and tourists planning Dominican Republic holidays do so with the intention of visiting not only the traditional attractions but the holy sites as well.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
From the allure of the beach to the excellence of premium all-inclusive service, this is the place to make your every holiday dream an unforgettable reality
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Family friendly services including an Explorer's Club for kids and a Core Zone for teens
- De-stress at the world-class spa and select from an indulging array of treatments
- Enjoy an array of activities including watersports, golf, horse riding, organised ball games, aerobic, dance and Spanish classes and more.
Enjoy white sandy beaches and crystal clear waters along with peaceful and secluded atmosphere
- The hotel has an ideal beachfront location in Bayahibe, a picturesque village on the Dominican Republic's southeast coast for relaxing and luxurious Caribbean holiday
- Enjoy a range of drinks and food with buffet and 4 a la carte restaurants plus numerous bars
- Spoil yourself at the modern spa for serene relaxation featuring five rooms for treatments, jacuzzis and much more
You'll be instantly rewarded with up to $3,600 resort credit to use towards spa treatments, golf, premium drinks and much more
- Up to 2 kids go FREE in a Deluxe family room between 3rd Jan 17 - 22nd Dec 17, Book By 28th Feb 17
- Stay between 15 Apr 2017 - 31 Oct 2017 and get 50% off a Rock Royalty Level Room
- Get up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
- Enjoy various fantastic events coming up at the hotel including Justin Bieber on 17th April & Sting in concert on 13th May
- Suites feature a double Jacuzzi and fully stocked mini bar including spirits and premium brands
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of the Dominican Republic where the amazing beaches of Juan Dolio await you. Also...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Don't miss out on the ultimate 8-day Caribbean experience at the all-inclusive Be Live Hamaca in Punta Cana, Dominican...