Dominican Republic holidays also ideal for faith-based tourism
For many, Dominican Republic holidays are synonymous with romantic Caribbean getaways. However, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Santo Domingo is attempting to highlight that the island is also an ideal spot for religious tourism.
Despite the growing success of the Dominican Republic’s tourism sector, the Catholic Archdiocese of Santo Domingo feels that the island’s religious tourism industry is yet to reach its full potential. And with an increasing number of travellers choosing the Dominican Republic as their travel destination it's not hard to see why. According to official reports the number of people booking luxury holidays in the Dominican Republic is expected to have increased by five per cent in 2011 with the number of tourists in 2011 approaching a record breaking five million.
Located in the Caribbean island of Hispanola, the Dominican Republic is often thought to be synonymous with sun, sea and sand. As a testament to the beautiful beaches scattered across the nation, it has been awarded the most blue flag beaches in Latin America at the end of November 2011. However, fewer people are aware of the fact that the nation is steeped in 500 years of religious history; and this precisely is something that Catholic leaders in the Caribbean nation are hoping to change in the coming years.
In an effort to boost the religious tourism industry, the Archdiocese has been collaborating with local tourism officials to help showcase a different side to Dominican Republic holidays. Together, they have developed tours guiding holidaymakers along a route where they can expect to see various historical religious sites including churches, convents, hospitals and monasteries.
Catholic leaders in the Dominican Republic, and Latin America as whole, hope to distinguish themselves from their European peers by underscoring their less ornate design styles. Father Robert Higgins of the Diocese of Charleston, S.C stated, “You still find beautiful structures with all the gold and marble, but in Latin America it's in a more muted fashion…There is a level of simplicity and humility you find there.”
Faith-based tourism is a growing niche market, raking in approximately $18 billion globally. Popular destinations like the Holy Land have made the largest contributions to the industry; however, the Dominican Republic, along with other Latin American destinations, is becoming increasingly popular with religous travellers.
Kevin Wright, director of growth markets in the US based travel association, NTA noted that, “As a destination for faith-based tourism, we're seeing Latin America receive more attention than it has in the past, years ago, Latin America was barely on the radar, but in the "new era" of faith-based tourism, the region appeals to younger and more adventurous travellers”. It is the hope of Catholic leaders nation-wide that this growth continues and tourists planning Dominican Republic holidays do so with the intention of visiting not only the traditional attractions but the holy sites as well.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
- Free upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Room
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Enjoy fantastic savings, $200 resort credit per room per stay to spend in the spa, upgraded wine list and on a romantic dinner
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
Live it up and Enjoy a stay at the brand new Now Onyx Punta Cana, perfectly located on a pristine beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Be dined and wined at a selection of no less than nine restaurants.
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Spend eight days lazing in the abundant Punta Cana sunshine as you enjoy the best in hospitality that the Dominican...
Don't miss out on the ultimate 8-day Caribbean experience at the all-inclusive Be Live Hamaca in Punta Cana, Dominican...