Dominican Republic holidays also ideal for faith-based tourism
For many, Dominican Republic holidays are synonymous with romantic Caribbean getaways. However, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Santo Domingo is attempting to highlight that the island is also an ideal spot for religious tourism.
Despite the growing success of the Dominican Republic’s tourism sector, the Catholic Archdiocese of Santo Domingo feels that the island’s religious tourism industry is yet to reach its full potential. And with an increasing number of travellers choosing the Dominican Republic as their travel destination it's not hard to see why. According to official reports the number of people booking luxury holidays in the Dominican Republic is expected to have increased by five per cent in 2011 with the number of tourists in 2011 approaching a record breaking five million.
Located in the Caribbean island of Hispanola, the Dominican Republic is often thought to be synonymous with sun, sea and sand. As a testament to the beautiful beaches scattered across the nation, it has been awarded the most blue flag beaches in Latin America at the end of November 2011. However, fewer people are aware of the fact that the nation is steeped in 500 years of religious history; and this precisely is something that Catholic leaders in the Caribbean nation are hoping to change in the coming years.
In an effort to boost the religious tourism industry, the Archdiocese has been collaborating with local tourism officials to help showcase a different side to Dominican Republic holidays. Together, they have developed tours guiding holidaymakers along a route where they can expect to see various historical religious sites including churches, convents, hospitals and monasteries.
Catholic leaders in the Dominican Republic, and Latin America as whole, hope to distinguish themselves from their European peers by underscoring their less ornate design styles. Father Robert Higgins of the Diocese of Charleston, S.C stated, “You still find beautiful structures with all the gold and marble, but in Latin America it's in a more muted fashion…There is a level of simplicity and humility you find there.”
Faith-based tourism is a growing niche market, raking in approximately $18 billion globally. Popular destinations like the Holy Land have made the largest contributions to the industry; however, the Dominican Republic, along with other Latin American destinations, is becoming increasingly popular with religous travellers.
Kevin Wright, director of growth markets in the US based travel association, NTA noted that, “As a destination for faith-based tourism, we're seeing Latin America receive more attention than it has in the past, years ago, Latin America was barely on the radar, but in the "new era" of faith-based tourism, the region appeals to younger and more adventurous travellers”. It is the hope of Catholic leaders nation-wide that this growth continues and tourists planning Dominican Republic holidays do so with the intention of visiting not only the traditional attractions but the holy sites as well.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
This all inclusive resort provides luxurious holidaying at its very best with a true Dominican flavour
- Boasting a wonderful location, immaculate tropical gardens, and a stunning stretch of beach
- A choice of six specialty restaurants featuring Mexican, Oriental, Steak House and more
- Honeymoon couples receive a bottle of champagne, fruit basket and a romantic dinner
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
You'll be instantly rewarded with up to $3,600 resort credit to use towards spa treatments, golf, premium drinks and much more
- Complimentary Tickts available to see Shakira! Call for more details
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Suites feature a double Jacuzzi and fully stocked mini bar including spirits and premium brands
- Choice of 13 swimming pools and 35 spa suites to relax in
- Get up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Beautifully located on the Dominican Republic´s lush southeast coast, Casa de Campo is a magnificent eco-friendly...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...