Dubai International Film Festival Attracts Tourists and Hollywood Stars
Thousands of travellers enjoying Dubai holidays this week will get to join in the celebrations of the Dubai International Film Festival as the prestigious event continues until 14th December showcasing some of the world's best films and most famous actors
The Dubai International Film Festival is currently underway in the vibrant emirate city, marking the eighth anniversary of the prestigious event with famous guests including Tom Cruise.
Besides tourists currently enjoying Dubai holidays, film-lovers and local residents, the event has also attracted Hollywood actors such as Tom Cruise who visited the city earlier this year to shoot scenes for the fourth Mission: Impossible film at the iconic Burj Khalifa.
The annual event is the leading film festival in the Middle East, Africa and South and Central Asia and thousands of film-lovers from all over the world visit Dubai every year to watch the screenings and world premiers.
The festivities kicked off on Wednesday 7th December, 2011 and the event is being hosted by the Madinat Jumeirah, one of the most luxurious Dubai hotels. Festival highlights include the presentation of a lifetime achievement award to Academy Award-nominated German filmmaker and one of the founders of the ‘New German Cinema’, Werner Herzog.
Image by: Niels Rasmussen, on Flickr
The week-long event will also show a screening of Herzog’s work Fitzcarraldo and his newest film “Into the Abyss”.
Over the last eight years, the festival has attracted many world-famous actors and actresses from the U.S, Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East who have gone on special holidays to Dubai especially for the occasion. These include Gerard Butler, George Clooney, Nicholas Cage, Orlando Bloom, Salma Hayek, Ben Affleck, Richard Gere, Colin Firth, HM Queen Noor of Jordan, Duraid Lahham, Daoud Abdul Sayed, and Hussein Fahmi.
European and American celebrities who will be enjoying luxury holidays in Dubai this week and attending the festival include Simon Pegg, Paula Patton, Léa Seydoux, and “The Incredibles” director, Brad Bird.
The Chairman of the Dubai International Film Festival, Abdulhamid Juma, stated: “This eighth edition, more than any other before it, crystallises our standing as a complete cinema ecosystem.
“Although we are a young festival, we have innovated year on year since our launch in 2004, refining our programme, building prestigious competitions, strengthening our industry offerings, all the while planting seeds across the Arab, Asian, African and global cinema landscape. This year, our harvest is abundant.”
“We are delighted to present such a diverse and exciting line-up of the best of our region and the world to the equally diverse people of our city.”
The film festival will continue until Wednesday 14th December, 2011 and will feature organised panel discussions and workshops as well as 171 film showings.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Bask in private palm-lined beach glory that's just 15 minutes from the Dubai Marina in a place where it's all included
- Choose from excellent restaurants serving a variety of world cuisines including French, Mediterranean and Thai
- Go for a round of golf at the onsite 9-hole Golf course or explore the are on horseback
- book your stay including tickets to the family entertainment park Dubai Parks & Resort - ask our team now
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
- 300 AED SPA credit per person per stay for the hotel SPA
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
With over 20 restaurants and bars, you will be amazed by the variety of fine fare on offer to enhance your holiday.
- Complimentary services include a 1-2 hour scuba diving session
- Free Half Board on selected dates
- Venture next door with complimentary access to the Wild Wadi Water Park to cool yourself from the summer sun
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...