Dubai International Film Festival Attracts Tourists and Hollywood Stars
Thousands of travellers enjoying Dubai holidays this week will get to join in the celebrations of the Dubai International Film Festival as the prestigious event continues until 14th December showcasing some of the world's best films and most famous actors
The Dubai International Film Festival is currently underway in the vibrant emirate city, marking the eighth anniversary of the prestigious event with famous guests including Tom Cruise.
Besides tourists currently enjoying Dubai holidays, film-lovers and local residents, the event has also attracted Hollywood actors such as Tom Cruise who visited the city earlier this year to shoot scenes for the fourth Mission: Impossible film at the iconic Burj Khalifa.
The annual event is the leading film festival in the Middle East, Africa and South and Central Asia and thousands of film-lovers from all over the world visit Dubai every year to watch the screenings and world premiers.
The festivities kicked off on Wednesday 7th December, 2011 and the event is being hosted by the Madinat Jumeirah, one of the most luxurious Dubai hotels. Festival highlights include the presentation of a lifetime achievement award to Academy Award-nominated German filmmaker and one of the founders of the ‘New German Cinema’, Werner Herzog.
Image by: Niels Rasmussen, on Flickr
The week-long event will also show a screening of Herzog’s work Fitzcarraldo and his newest film “Into the Abyss”.
Over the last eight years, the festival has attracted many world-famous actors and actresses from the U.S, Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East who have gone on special holidays to Dubai especially for the occasion. These include Gerard Butler, George Clooney, Nicholas Cage, Orlando Bloom, Salma Hayek, Ben Affleck, Richard Gere, Colin Firth, HM Queen Noor of Jordan, Duraid Lahham, Daoud Abdul Sayed, and Hussein Fahmi.
European and American celebrities who will be enjoying luxury holidays in Dubai this week and attending the festival include Simon Pegg, Paula Patton, Léa Seydoux, and “The Incredibles” director, Brad Bird.
The Chairman of the Dubai International Film Festival, Abdulhamid Juma, stated: “This eighth edition, more than any other before it, crystallises our standing as a complete cinema ecosystem.
“Although we are a young festival, we have innovated year on year since our launch in 2004, refining our programme, building prestigious competitions, strengthening our industry offerings, all the while planting seeds across the Arab, Asian, African and global cinema landscape. This year, our harvest is abundant.”
“We are delighted to present such a diverse and exciting line-up of the best of our region and the world to the equally diverse people of our city.”
The film festival will continue until Wednesday 14th December, 2011 and will feature organised panel discussions and workshops as well as 171 film showings.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Discover the impressive opulence of Dubai's skyline matched only by the views across the Arabian Gulf
Impeccable service combined with comfort and luxury with stunning views of Downtown Dubai
- A landmark hotel located in Deira, Dubai's historic district with stunning views over the city!
- Incredible bars, clubs and restaurants, including hip and trendy Sho Cho that's been taking Dubai's fashion set by storm.
- There are plenty of sightseeing and historical places to visit within walking distance
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free Wi-Fi
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free Wi-Fi
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
Be sinfully self-indulgent and stay at an outrageously luxurious resort on Dubai's exclusive The Palm. You'll be basking in luxury from dawn to dusk.
- stay on the famous Palm in Dubai and enjoy stunning views over the skyline
- choose to upgrade to an amazing Ultra-All-Inclusive experience in the hotel
- Recieve complimentary boat transfers to iconic Dubai Marina or a free shuttle bus to Mall of the Emirates
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai , the only hotel with a restaurant with 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...