Barbados-based budget airline REDjet warns local government of possible headquarter relocation
Amidst claims of foot dragging on the part of the Barbadian government, REDjet may be shifting their base away from Barbados. REDjet began operating in Q2 2011 in a bid to provide passengers with low cost flights taking them to cheaper Barbados holidays.
According to co-founder and Business Development Director, Robbie Burns, REDJet’s threat of moving its main operative base from Barbados) is the result of the unusual delays they have experienced in the approval of new routes by the Barbados Air Transport Licensing Authority.
The approval delays have shaken investor confidence and in turn have put pressure on the start-up airline’s finances. “While, these delays are subject to normal commercial risks that airlines face or should face, it is unusual that an airline with this status should face these challenges.”
Currently, the airline, which began offering Barbados flights in May 2011, is said to have six routes from Barbados due for approval by the local government, including flights to St Lucia, Grenada, St Kitts, Antigua and St Maarten.
Despite the buzz REDJet has created among consumers in the region by putting exotic Barbados holidays, among other top Caribbean destinations, within the reach of the traveller on a budget; the path has not been smooth for the airline. Since it was founded in 2010, REDJet has encountered various political obstacles in Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago and now in Barbados “the real challenges have been political. The region has state-owned airlines and despite excessive high fares, these airlines still require heavy financial subsidies and are a significant burden on tax payers in the region. REDjet has suffered delays because of protectionism” Mr Burns stated back in August 2011 during an interview. The threat REDJet poses to state-owned airlines like Trinidad and Tobago’s Caribbean Airlines is very real, with its Low Fare Airline (LFA) business model being the first of its kind in the region. REDJet’s website claims that, if passengers book in advance, flights to Barbados can run as cheap as $9.99 US dollars.
Image by: judyh1226, on Flickr
Although Barbados holidays have always been a top choice for travellers in the Caribbean, REDJet is still felt to be in a position to make a valuable contribution to the island’s tourism industry. With budget Caribbean flights on offer the airline has paved the way for holidaymakers to splurge on any one of the many luxurious Barbados hotels. However, REDJet expressed frustration that the level of investment they have made is yet to be met by the government in Barbados, “If things continue like this over six months REDjet will not have its base in Barbados. We are not prepared to go any further investing in our operations there until the other half of the investment deal is met…We have delivered our half, we have delivered our jobs, we have delivered our investment, we have delivered our service and we have shown we can fly the routes properly and deliver a reliable safe service” Mr Burns concluded.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Free room upgrade to next available room
- Savings of upto 45% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE
Sugar Bay is perfect for travelling solo, enjoying a romantic getaway or special family escape
- Premium All Inclusive hotel with a selection of dining options including a Steakhouse
- Enjoy a Hot Summer now on with savings of upto 40% plus $20 Spa Credit per person
- Ideally located only 15 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from the capital, Bridgetown
- Enjoy a wide selection of activities including beach volleyball, wind surfing, jet skis, sailing and more
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- Save up to 50% off with the May FLASH SALE
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Take a step back from day-to-day life and submerge in the peace and tranquillity that can be found at the fantastic...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...