Caribbean Sees Increase in Tourists but Spending is Down
Analysts have revealed that more travellers are enjoying Caribbean holidays but they are spending less during their trips. The Bahamas, St Lucia and the Dominican Republic received record numbers last year but tourists are tightening their purse strings.
Caribbean tourism officials have revealed that even though more tourists are heading to the region for tropical breaks, they are spending less during their time on the islands.
The number of tourists taking Caribbean holidays is steadily rising with island nations including The Bahamas, St Lucia and the Dominican Republic receiving a record number of visitors in 2010.
However, the ongoing economic turbulence around the world has meant that tourists are tightening their purse strings during their Caribbean breaks.
Josef Forstmayr, the President of the Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Organisation, explained: "The bodies are travelling, obviously, but the spending is clearly impacted.
"The larger destinations have it a little easier. They have more resources, they get better airlift, they have better products."
Image by: smirnoff_13, on Flickr
Many travellers postponed their holidays to the Caribbean during the height of the economic crisis, but as the months go on and the outlook remains dismal, tourists are holding onto their money during visits to the region’s tropical islands.
Forstmayr said that registration for the marketing event, Caribbean Marketplace, which will be held in the Bahamas in January 2012, is up by nearly 50 per cent compared with last year.
"We expect a strong winter," he said. "Overall bookings from all the islands are up from last year."
Image by: ankuv, on Flickr
Caribbean tourism officials are hoping that this year’s tourist arrivals will exceed last year’s winter season numbers which totalled 23 million.
Carolyn Spencer Brown, the editor-in-chief of CruiseCritic.com explained that holidaymakers are demanding cheaper prices for Caribbean holidays and value for money packages before they book.
"People are very quirky these days about value for money," she said. "They'll splurge for it, but it better be worth it."
The Research Director for the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO), Winfield Griffith, noted that more visitors, especially returning tourists, are choosing to take public buses to get around the islands rather than taking taxis, and they are buying food and drink at supermarkets instead of eating out in restaurants.
They know the drill," he said. "In Barbados, for instance, you can pay $2 by public transport to go anywhere in the country. To go around the country by taxi would probably run you in the neighbourhood of $150. That's a massive difference."
Many holidaymakers are choosing all inclusive Caribbean hotels and resorts to avoid additional costs during their idyllic escapes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...