Caribbean Sees Increase in Tourists but Spending is Down
Analysts have revealed that more travellers are enjoying Caribbean holidays but they are spending less during their trips. The Bahamas, St Lucia and the Dominican Republic received record numbers last year but tourists are tightening their purse strings.
Caribbean tourism officials have revealed that even though more tourists are heading to the region for tropical breaks, they are spending less during their time on the islands.
The number of tourists taking Caribbean holidays is steadily rising with island nations including The Bahamas, St Lucia and the Dominican Republic receiving a record number of visitors in 2010.
However, the ongoing economic turbulence around the world has meant that tourists are tightening their purse strings during their Caribbean breaks.
Josef Forstmayr, the President of the Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Organisation, explained: "The bodies are travelling, obviously, but the spending is clearly impacted.
"The larger destinations have it a little easier. They have more resources, they get better airlift, they have better products."
Image by: smirnoff_13, on Flickr
Many travellers postponed their holidays to the Caribbean during the height of the economic crisis, but as the months go on and the outlook remains dismal, tourists are holding onto their money during visits to the region’s tropical islands.
Forstmayr said that registration for the marketing event, Caribbean Marketplace, which will be held in the Bahamas in January 2012, is up by nearly 50 per cent compared with last year.
"We expect a strong winter," he said. "Overall bookings from all the islands are up from last year."
Image by: ankuv, on Flickr
Caribbean tourism officials are hoping that this year’s tourist arrivals will exceed last year’s winter season numbers which totalled 23 million.
Carolyn Spencer Brown, the editor-in-chief of CruiseCritic.com explained that holidaymakers are demanding cheaper prices for Caribbean holidays and value for money packages before they book.
"People are very quirky these days about value for money," she said. "They'll splurge for it, but it better be worth it."
The Research Director for the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO), Winfield Griffith, noted that more visitors, especially returning tourists, are choosing to take public buses to get around the islands rather than taking taxis, and they are buying food and drink at supermarkets instead of eating out in restaurants.
They know the drill," he said. "In Barbados, for instance, you can pay $2 by public transport to go anywhere in the country. To go around the country by taxi would probably run you in the neighbourhood of $150. That's a massive difference."
Many holidaymakers are choosing all inclusive Caribbean hotels and resorts to avoid additional costs during their idyllic escapes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...