Caribbean Sees Increase in Tourists but Spending is Down
Analysts have revealed that more travellers are enjoying Caribbean holidays but they are spending less during their trips. The Bahamas, St Lucia and the Dominican Republic received record numbers last year but tourists are tightening their purse strings.
Caribbean tourism officials have revealed that even though more tourists are heading to the region for tropical breaks, they are spending less during their time on the islands.
The number of tourists taking Caribbean holidays is steadily rising with island nations including The Bahamas, St Lucia and the Dominican Republic receiving a record number of visitors in 2010.
However, the ongoing economic turbulence around the world has meant that tourists are tightening their purse strings during their Caribbean breaks.
Josef Forstmayr, the President of the Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Organisation, explained: "The bodies are travelling, obviously, but the spending is clearly impacted.
"The larger destinations have it a little easier. They have more resources, they get better airlift, they have better products."
Image by: smirnoff_13, on Flickr
Many travellers postponed their holidays to the Caribbean during the height of the economic crisis, but as the months go on and the outlook remains dismal, tourists are holding onto their money during visits to the region’s tropical islands.
Forstmayr said that registration for the marketing event, Caribbean Marketplace, which will be held in the Bahamas in January 2012, is up by nearly 50 per cent compared with last year.
"We expect a strong winter," he said. "Overall bookings from all the islands are up from last year."
Image by: ankuv, on Flickr
Caribbean tourism officials are hoping that this year’s tourist arrivals will exceed last year’s winter season numbers which totalled 23 million.
Carolyn Spencer Brown, the editor-in-chief of CruiseCritic.com explained that holidaymakers are demanding cheaper prices for Caribbean holidays and value for money packages before they book.
"People are very quirky these days about value for money," she said. "They'll splurge for it, but it better be worth it."
The Research Director for the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO), Winfield Griffith, noted that more visitors, especially returning tourists, are choosing to take public buses to get around the islands rather than taking taxis, and they are buying food and drink at supermarkets instead of eating out in restaurants.
They know the drill," he said. "In Barbados, for instance, you can pay $2 by public transport to go anywhere in the country. To go around the country by taxi would probably run you in the neighbourhood of $150. That's a massive difference."
Many holidaymakers are choosing all inclusive Caribbean hotels and resorts to avoid additional costs during their idyllic escapes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...