Caribbean Sees Increase in Tourists but Spending is Down
Analysts have revealed that more travellers are enjoying Caribbean holidays but they are spending less during their trips. The Bahamas, St Lucia and the Dominican Republic received record numbers last year but tourists are tightening their purse strings.
Caribbean tourism officials have revealed that even though more tourists are heading to the region for tropical breaks, they are spending less during their time on the islands.
The number of tourists taking Caribbean holidays is steadily rising with island nations including The Bahamas, St Lucia and the Dominican Republic receiving a record number of visitors in 2010.
However, the ongoing economic turbulence around the world has meant that tourists are tightening their purse strings during their Caribbean breaks.
Josef Forstmayr, the President of the Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Organisation, explained: "The bodies are travelling, obviously, but the spending is clearly impacted.
"The larger destinations have it a little easier. They have more resources, they get better airlift, they have better products."
Image by: smirnoff_13, on Flickr
Many travellers postponed their holidays to the Caribbean during the height of the economic crisis, but as the months go on and the outlook remains dismal, tourists are holding onto their money during visits to the region’s tropical islands.
Forstmayr said that registration for the marketing event, Caribbean Marketplace, which will be held in the Bahamas in January 2012, is up by nearly 50 per cent compared with last year.
"We expect a strong winter," he said. "Overall bookings from all the islands are up from last year."
Image by: ankuv, on Flickr
Caribbean tourism officials are hoping that this year’s tourist arrivals will exceed last year’s winter season numbers which totalled 23 million.
Carolyn Spencer Brown, the editor-in-chief of CruiseCritic.com explained that holidaymakers are demanding cheaper prices for Caribbean holidays and value for money packages before they book.
"People are very quirky these days about value for money," she said. "They'll splurge for it, but it better be worth it."
The Research Director for the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO), Winfield Griffith, noted that more visitors, especially returning tourists, are choosing to take public buses to get around the islands rather than taking taxis, and they are buying food and drink at supermarkets instead of eating out in restaurants.
They know the drill," he said. "In Barbados, for instance, you can pay $2 by public transport to go anywhere in the country. To go around the country by taxi would probably run you in the neighbourhood of $150. That's a massive difference."
Many holidaymakers are choosing all inclusive Caribbean hotels and resorts to avoid additional costs during their idyllic escapes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a tour
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Come to the Caribbean and take a break from everyday life, as you enjoy 8 days of entertainment at the Grafton Beach...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...