Sri Lanka Welcomes Record-Breaking 750,000th Tourist Arrival in 2011
Sri Lanka has recorded 750,000 tourists taking Sri Lanka holidays this year with the 750,000th passenger arriving at Bandaranaike International Airport on 24th November. The milestone topped last year's total numbers of 654,476 tourist arrivals.
Sri Lanka Tourism welcomed its 750,000th visitor on 24th November 2011, breaking the country’s record of visitor arrivals in any given year.
Mr Mohomad Albordiny and his wife from Palestine, arrived to their Sri Lanka holidays on the QR flight from Doha at 4.15pm where they were greeted at the Bandaranaike International Airport by a team of officials from the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotions Bureau and representatives from the Ministry of Economic Development.
Until now, the island nation had not exceeded 700,000 holidaymakers in any year so the record-breaking numbers were great news for Sri Lanka’s tourism industry.
The figures are a 34.2 per cent increase in annual growth compared to the 654,476 tourists who took Sri Lanka holidays in 2010. The majority of travellers (250, 847) who enjoyed holidays in Sri Lanka this year originated from Latin America, the Caribbean and Western European countries such as the United Kingdom, Austria, Germany, Belgium, France, Denmark and the Netherlands.
Mr Albordiny accepted a special gift and complimentary package from the Sri Lanka tourism officials for being the lucky 750,000th visitor. Sri Lanka Tourism also rewarded the 250,000th, 500,000th and 600,000th tourist who visited the country earlier this year.
Image by: monopthalmos, on Flickr
The island’s tourism board launched a new marketing campaign at the start of 2011, titled “Refreshingly Sri Lanka – Visit 2011”. The aim of the campaign was to encourage international travellers to book Sri Lanka holidays and to promote the island country as an Island of new found freedom, following the end of the decades-long civil war in 2009.
The marketing drive featured eight segments that sum up eight fantastic experiences that tourists can enjoy in eight days: Pristine, Heritage, Bliss, Thrills, Festivities, Essence, Scenic beauty and Wild Life.
Image by: visihur, on Flickr
Since the end of conflict, the island has seen a much-needed boost in the number of tourists taking holidays to Sri Lanka as they regain confidence in safe travel to the island.
Sri Lanka is famous for its beautiful natural scenery and diverse ecosystem made up of miles of sandy beaches, mountains, wildlife sanctuaries, lush nature parks, and an array of heritage sites which include ancient cities and colonial forts.
Many international hotel groups are looking to build new Sri Lanka hotels including Sheraton Hotels and Resorts who announced they will be building a luxury hotel in Colombo, the capital city of Sri Lanka.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Embark on a holiday of a lifetime with this amazing twin centre special offer
- Indulge your senses with the amazing spa treatments at the Avani Kalutara
- Enjoy an authentic Rajasthani meal with a local Indian family in Jaipur
- Buy some amazing souvenirs made by sculptors who claim to be direct descendants of the craftsmen who built the Taj Mahal
Take advantage of a this twin destination combination treat
- Enjoy themed nights with flavours from around the world in Sri Lanka
- Discover the wonder of Old and New Delhi with a guided, full day city tour
- Visit the City Palace, an overwhelming complex of exquisite palaces, gardens and courtyards, decorative art and carved doorways
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...