Sri Lanka Welcomes Record-Breaking 750,000th Tourist Arrival in 2011
Sri Lanka has recorded 750,000 tourists taking Sri Lanka holidays this year with the 750,000th passenger arriving at Bandaranaike International Airport on 24th November. The milestone topped last year's total numbers of 654,476 tourist arrivals.
Sri Lanka Tourism welcomed its 750,000th visitor on 24th November 2011, breaking the country’s record of visitor arrivals in any given year.
Mr Mohomad Albordiny and his wife from Palestine, arrived to their Sri Lanka holidays on the QR flight from Doha at 4.15pm where they were greeted at the Bandaranaike International Airport by a team of officials from the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotions Bureau and representatives from the Ministry of Economic Development.
Until now, the island nation had not exceeded 700,000 holidaymakers in any year so the record-breaking numbers were great news for Sri Lanka’s tourism industry.
The figures are a 34.2 per cent increase in annual growth compared to the 654,476 tourists who took Sri Lanka holidays in 2010. The majority of travellers (250, 847) who enjoyed holidays in Sri Lanka this year originated from Latin America, the Caribbean and Western European countries such as the United Kingdom, Austria, Germany, Belgium, France, Denmark and the Netherlands.
Mr Albordiny accepted a special gift and complimentary package from the Sri Lanka tourism officials for being the lucky 750,000th visitor. Sri Lanka Tourism also rewarded the 250,000th, 500,000th and 600,000th tourist who visited the country earlier this year.
Image by: monopthalmos, on Flickr
The island’s tourism board launched a new marketing campaign at the start of 2011, titled “Refreshingly Sri Lanka – Visit 2011”. The aim of the campaign was to encourage international travellers to book Sri Lanka holidays and to promote the island country as an Island of new found freedom, following the end of the decades-long civil war in 2009.
The marketing drive featured eight segments that sum up eight fantastic experiences that tourists can enjoy in eight days: Pristine, Heritage, Bliss, Thrills, Festivities, Essence, Scenic beauty and Wild Life.
Image by: visihur, on Flickr
Since the end of conflict, the island has seen a much-needed boost in the number of tourists taking holidays to Sri Lanka as they regain confidence in safe travel to the island.
Sri Lanka is famous for its beautiful natural scenery and diverse ecosystem made up of miles of sandy beaches, mountains, wildlife sanctuaries, lush nature parks, and an array of heritage sites which include ancient cities and colonial forts.
Many international hotel groups are looking to build new Sri Lanka hotels including Sheraton Hotels and Resorts who announced they will be building a luxury hotel in Colombo, the capital city of Sri Lanka.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting Ã la carte menus and buffet style
- price includes free Half Board Upgrade
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Mount Lavinia is one of Sri Lanka's oldest hotel and with its impressive 200 plus years of heritage it has...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...