Tourism minister forecasts a rise in travellers destined for Cuba holidays
Manuel Marrero, announced an increase in the popularity of Cuba holidays during 2011. The island's tourism industry is said to be experiencing a boost following KLM's resumed operations to Cuba, bringing in more holidaymakers from Scandinavia and Europe.
Despite a global economic downturn, more people seem to be picking up Cuba travel guides. The island’s minister of tourism, Manuel Marrero, has announced an almost eight per cent increase in the number of individuals opting for holidays in Cuba during 2011 when compared to 2010. The boost in numbers from 2010 to 2011 underpinned a buoyant forecast for 2012, with the total number of travellers expected to rise to nearly three million.
The announcement was made during the 29th edition of Havana’s International Trade Fair (FIHAV), where minister Marrero also took the opportunity to underscore the strong relations between Cuban companies and Canadian tour operators, “We see a marked interest from entrepreneurs of that Northern nation to invest here, and that ratifies the strength of the relations, which is really beneficial for both parties, and works with a lot of stability” stated Marerro. The number of Canadians selecting Cuba holidays has already exceeded 800000 and is said to be nearing the one million mark. An estimated 42 per cent of Canadians taking holidays to Cuba return for a second visit, making Canada the premier source of travellers to Cuba from North America. The strong ties between the two nations will come as no surprise to many, as Canada has always differentiated itself from much of the tensions between the U.S .and Cuba. Former Canadian Prime Minister, Pierre Elliott Trudeau, was the first leader of a nation belonging to NATO to step foot on Cuban soil since the long-standing U.S. trade embargo started in the 1960s.
Despite the fact that some operators have cancelled their routes to Cuba, Marrero noted that new routes from Mexico, Holland and United Kingdom are expected to open in during the peak season for Cuba holidays. Following a 68-year absence, KLM airline resumed flights to Cuba at the end of October 2011. With connections in over 130 cities globally, the Dutch airline will make a significant contribution to Marerro’s 2011 estimates with flights to Cuba from Germany, Holland, Russia, the United Kingdom and Scandinavia arriving three times a week. Vice president at KLM, Harm Kreulen, described Cuba as a “potential tourist destination for the European Market, due to its good climate and its culture, people and history”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...