Tourism minister forecasts a rise in travellers destined for Cuba holidays
Manuel Marrero, announced an increase in the popularity of Cuba holidays during 2011. The island's tourism industry is said to be experiencing a boost following KLM's resumed operations to Cuba, bringing in more holidaymakers from Scandinavia and Europe.
Despite a global economic downturn, more people seem to be picking up Cuba travel guides. The island’s minister of tourism, Manuel Marrero, has announced an almost eight per cent increase in the number of individuals opting for holidays in Cuba during 2011 when compared to 2010. The boost in numbers from 2010 to 2011 underpinned a buoyant forecast for 2012, with the total number of travellers expected to rise to nearly three million.
The announcement was made during the 29th edition of Havana’s International Trade Fair (FIHAV), where minister Marrero also took the opportunity to underscore the strong relations between Cuban companies and Canadian tour operators, “We see a marked interest from entrepreneurs of that Northern nation to invest here, and that ratifies the strength of the relations, which is really beneficial for both parties, and works with a lot of stability” stated Marerro. The number of Canadians selecting Cuba holidays has already exceeded 800000 and is said to be nearing the one million mark. An estimated 42 per cent of Canadians taking holidays to Cuba return for a second visit, making Canada the premier source of travellers to Cuba from North America. The strong ties between the two nations will come as no surprise to many, as Canada has always differentiated itself from much of the tensions between the U.S .and Cuba. Former Canadian Prime Minister, Pierre Elliott Trudeau, was the first leader of a nation belonging to NATO to step foot on Cuban soil since the long-standing U.S. trade embargo started in the 1960s.
Despite the fact that some operators have cancelled their routes to Cuba, Marrero noted that new routes from Mexico, Holland and United Kingdom are expected to open in during the peak season for Cuba holidays. Following a 68-year absence, KLM airline resumed flights to Cuba at the end of October 2011. With connections in over 130 cities globally, the Dutch airline will make a significant contribution to Marerro’s 2011 estimates with flights to Cuba from Germany, Holland, Russia, the United Kingdom and Scandinavia arriving three times a week. Vice president at KLM, Harm Kreulen, described Cuba as a “potential tourist destination for the European Market, due to its good climate and its culture, people and history”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...