Tourism minister forecasts a rise in travellers destined for Cuba holidays
Manuel Marrero, announced an increase in the popularity of Cuba holidays during 2011. The island's tourism industry is said to be experiencing a boost following KLM's resumed operations to Cuba, bringing in more holidaymakers from Scandinavia and Europe.
Despite a global economic downturn, more people seem to be picking up Cuba travel guides. The island’s minister of tourism, Manuel Marrero, has announced an almost eight per cent increase in the number of individuals opting for holidays in Cuba during 2011 when compared to 2010. The boost in numbers from 2010 to 2011 underpinned a buoyant forecast for 2012, with the total number of travellers expected to rise to nearly three million.
The announcement was made during the 29th edition of Havana’s International Trade Fair (FIHAV), where minister Marrero also took the opportunity to underscore the strong relations between Cuban companies and Canadian tour operators, “We see a marked interest from entrepreneurs of that Northern nation to invest here, and that ratifies the strength of the relations, which is really beneficial for both parties, and works with a lot of stability” stated Marerro. The number of Canadians selecting Cuba holidays has already exceeded 800000 and is said to be nearing the one million mark. An estimated 42 per cent of Canadians taking holidays to Cuba return for a second visit, making Canada the premier source of travellers to Cuba from North America. The strong ties between the two nations will come as no surprise to many, as Canada has always differentiated itself from much of the tensions between the U.S .and Cuba. Former Canadian Prime Minister, Pierre Elliott Trudeau, was the first leader of a nation belonging to NATO to step foot on Cuban soil since the long-standing U.S. trade embargo started in the 1960s.
Despite the fact that some operators have cancelled their routes to Cuba, Marrero noted that new routes from Mexico, Holland and United Kingdom are expected to open in during the peak season for Cuba holidays. Following a 68-year absence, KLM airline resumed flights to Cuba at the end of October 2011. With connections in over 130 cities globally, the Dutch airline will make a significant contribution to Marerro’s 2011 estimates with flights to Cuba from Germany, Holland, Russia, the United Kingdom and Scandinavia arriving three times a week. Vice president at KLM, Harm Kreulen, described Cuba as a “potential tourist destination for the European Market, due to its good climate and its culture, people and history”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...