Dubai Tried to Boost Tourism Numbers with Marketing Drive at 2011 WTM
At this year's World Travel Market, Dubai made a big effort to encourage more travellers to take Dubai holidays. The United Arab Emirate is competing against other popular Arab nations such as Egypt and Tunisia which are also trying to attract tourists
Senior officials from the Dubai Events and Promotions Establishment (DEPE) were at the 2011 World Travel Market (WTM) in London this week in an effort to boost tourism numbers to the United Arab Emirate.
The agency of the Department of Economic Development is trying to encourage more travellers to book Dubai holidays by promoting the emirate’s offerings at the annual WTM.
Dubai is competing against other Arab nations including Egypt and Tunisia who are also trying to boost visitor numbers after launching tourism drives at this year’s travel trade exhibition in London.
The number of tourists taking Dubai holidays this year increased as the UAE city benefitted from the political unrest that took place in neighbouring regions including Egypt and Tunisia earlier this year.
The chairman of the World Travel Market, Fiona Jeffery, explained: "The speed at which the marketing campaigns have been launched demonstrates the importance the new democracies in Egypt and Tunisia have put on inbound tourism for their long-term economic future.
Image by: eLLe Photography -, on Flickr
"Tourism can help build up these countries' new democracies and has the potential to do so across all the Arab Spring countries."
During the World Travel Market fair, which took place this week and concluded on Thursday 10th November, DEPE promoted Dubai’s fantastic annual festival and events including Dubai Shopping Festival and Dubai Summer Surprises.
The agency is particularly interested in enticing visitors from the United Kingdom. Last year, nearly 720,000 tourists stayed in Dubai hotels during luxury holidays in the city.
Image by: mikecruz216, on Flickr
Ebrahim Saleh, the Festivals Coordinator, General and Deputy CEO of DEPE, said: "We are aiming to promote DEPE's festivals such as the Dubai Shopping Festival, Dubai Summer Surprises, ‘Eid in Dubai', Ramadan in Dubai, and the brand Modhesh.”
He added: "Dubai Calendar, which is the official listing of events in Dubai, will also be actively promoted by DEPE at WTM."
Image by: george paris ,on Flickr
Dubai’s popular tourist attractions include the Jumeirah Mosque, Dubai Fountain, Burj Khalifa, the Wild Wadi Water Park, Dubai Marina, and the Dubai Mall.
Annual events in the emirate include the Dubai World Cup in March, the UAE Desert Challenge, Dubai Summer Surprises, and the Dubai International Jazz Festival.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Relax and enjoy your stay at this five-star resort excellent choice for families
- Enjoy many additional complimentary benefits when staying in the newly refurbished superior rooms
- First child stay free on bed and breakfast up to the age of 14 when sharing with parents
- Amazing choice of award winning restaurants and bars
With over 20 restaurants and bars, you will be amazed by the variety of fine fare on offer to enhance your holiday.
- Complimentary services include a 1-2 hour scuba diving session
- Free Half Board on selected dates
- Venture next door with complimentary access to the Wild Wadi Water Park to cool yourself from the summer sun
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free WIFI
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free WIFI
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
Enjoy unparalleled luxury and splendour at one of the premier establishments sitting on Dubai's renowned Jumeirah Strip....
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Regarded as one of Dubai's most luxury hotels, Marina View Apartments is ideally located in the centre of Dubai's...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...