Dubai Tried to Boost Tourism Numbers with Marketing Drive at 2011 WTM
At this year's World Travel Market, Dubai made a big effort to encourage more travellers to take Dubai holidays. The United Arab Emirate is competing against other popular Arab nations such as Egypt and Tunisia which are also trying to attract tourists
Senior officials from the Dubai Events and Promotions Establishment (DEPE) were at the 2011 World Travel Market (WTM) in London this week in an effort to boost tourism numbers to the United Arab Emirate.
The agency of the Department of Economic Development is trying to encourage more travellers to book Dubai holidays by promoting the emirate’s offerings at the annual WTM.
Dubai is competing against other Arab nations including Egypt and Tunisia who are also trying to boost visitor numbers after launching tourism drives at this year’s travel trade exhibition in London.
The number of tourists taking Dubai holidays this year increased as the UAE city benefitted from the political unrest that took place in neighbouring regions including Egypt and Tunisia earlier this year.
The chairman of the World Travel Market, Fiona Jeffery, explained: "The speed at which the marketing campaigns have been launched demonstrates the importance the new democracies in Egypt and Tunisia have put on inbound tourism for their long-term economic future.
Image by: eLLe Photography -, on Flickr
"Tourism can help build up these countries' new democracies and has the potential to do so across all the Arab Spring countries."
During the World Travel Market fair, which took place this week and concluded on Thursday 10th November, DEPE promoted Dubai’s fantastic annual festival and events including Dubai Shopping Festival and Dubai Summer Surprises.
The agency is particularly interested in enticing visitors from the United Kingdom. Last year, nearly 720,000 tourists stayed in Dubai hotels during luxury holidays in the city.
Image by: mikecruz216, on Flickr
Ebrahim Saleh, the Festivals Coordinator, General and Deputy CEO of DEPE, said: "We are aiming to promote DEPE's festivals such as the Dubai Shopping Festival, Dubai Summer Surprises, ‘Eid in Dubai', Ramadan in Dubai, and the brand Modhesh.”
He added: "Dubai Calendar, which is the official listing of events in Dubai, will also be actively promoted by DEPE at WTM."
Image by: george paris ,on Flickr
Dubai’s popular tourist attractions include the Jumeirah Mosque, Dubai Fountain, Burj Khalifa, the Wild Wadi Water Park, Dubai Marina, and the Dubai Mall.
Annual events in the emirate include the Dubai World Cup in March, the UAE Desert Challenge, Dubai Summer Surprises, and the Dubai International Jazz Festival.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Experience the best of all worlds in Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restauarants, sandy beaches and unmatched shoppin, all for an unbeatable price
- Exlusive Free Half Board upgrade (book by 11 November 2017)!!!
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
- Club Level rooms available providing access additional amenities and exclusive lounge access
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
Capture the wonder of India before an amazing chance to visit Dubai
- Take advantage of the personal training and sports lessons at the Hyatt Regency
- Experience a typically Indian meal with a Rajasthani Family
- Explore the City palace in Jaipur
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
India is one of the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the colourful and vibrant cities...
Enjoy a stunning view on the east coast of Mauritius. This 4-star resort combines natural beauty and contemporary...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...