Dubai Tried to Boost Tourism Numbers with Marketing Drive at 2011 WTM
At this year's World Travel Market, Dubai made a big effort to encourage more travellers to take Dubai holidays. The United Arab Emirate is competing against other popular Arab nations such as Egypt and Tunisia which are also trying to attract tourists
Senior officials from the Dubai Events and Promotions Establishment (DEPE) were at the 2011 World Travel Market (WTM) in London this week in an effort to boost tourism numbers to the United Arab Emirate.
The agency of the Department of Economic Development is trying to encourage more travellers to book Dubai holidays by promoting the emirate’s offerings at the annual WTM.
Dubai is competing against other Arab nations including Egypt and Tunisia who are also trying to boost visitor numbers after launching tourism drives at this year’s travel trade exhibition in London.
The number of tourists taking Dubai holidays this year increased as the UAE city benefitted from the political unrest that took place in neighbouring regions including Egypt and Tunisia earlier this year.
The chairman of the World Travel Market, Fiona Jeffery, explained: "The speed at which the marketing campaigns have been launched demonstrates the importance the new democracies in Egypt and Tunisia have put on inbound tourism for their long-term economic future.
Image by: eLLe Photography -, on Flickr
"Tourism can help build up these countries' new democracies and has the potential to do so across all the Arab Spring countries."
During the World Travel Market fair, which took place this week and concluded on Thursday 10th November, DEPE promoted Dubai’s fantastic annual festival and events including Dubai Shopping Festival and Dubai Summer Surprises.
The agency is particularly interested in enticing visitors from the United Kingdom. Last year, nearly 720,000 tourists stayed in Dubai hotels during luxury holidays in the city.
Image by: mikecruz216, on Flickr
Ebrahim Saleh, the Festivals Coordinator, General and Deputy CEO of DEPE, said: "We are aiming to promote DEPE's festivals such as the Dubai Shopping Festival, Dubai Summer Surprises, ‘Eid in Dubai', Ramadan in Dubai, and the brand Modhesh.”
He added: "Dubai Calendar, which is the official listing of events in Dubai, will also be actively promoted by DEPE at WTM."
Image by: george paris ,on Flickr
Dubai’s popular tourist attractions include the Jumeirah Mosque, Dubai Fountain, Burj Khalifa, the Wild Wadi Water Park, Dubai Marina, and the Dubai Mall.
Annual events in the emirate include the Dubai World Cup in March, the UAE Desert Challenge, Dubai Summer Surprises, and the Dubai International Jazz Festival.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Bask in private palm-lined beach glory that's just 15 minutes from the Dubai Marina in a place where it's all included
- Choose from excellent restaurants serving a variety of world cuisines including French, Mediterranean and Thai
- Go for a round of golf at the onsite 9-hole Golf course or explore the are on horseback
- book your stay including tickets to the family entertainment park Dubai Parks & Resort - ask our team now
Experience the best of all worlds in Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restauarants, sandy beaches and unmatched shoppin, all for an unbeatable price
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
- Club Level rooms available providing access additional amenities and exclusive lounge access
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
With over 20 restaurants and bars, you will be amazed by the variety of fine fare on offer to enhance your holiday.
- Complimentary services include a 1-2 hour scuba diving session
- Free Half Board on selected dates
- Venture next door with complimentary access to the Wild Wadi Water Park to cool yourself from the summer sun
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...