Sheraton to Build Brand New Luxury Hotel in Sri Lanka
Sheraton Hotels and Resorts has announced that it will be building a new hotel in Colombo, following negotiations with the government. The luxury hotel will be aimed at both business travellers and tourists taking Sri Lanka holidays in the capital city.
Sheraton Hotels and Resorts has announced plans to build a brand new luxury hotel in Colombo, the capital city of Sri Lanka.
According to Sri Lanka’s junior economic minister, the hotel will be built on land that was originally offered to the Chinese firm, China National Aero Technology Import and Export Corporation (CATIC).
The island nation's Deputy Minister of Economic Development, Lakshman Yapa Abeywardene, said the government has completed negotiations with the global hotel chain to allocate the land.
"The negotiations with Sheraton are successfully over and we have agreed to give (the) CATIC land," said Lakshman Yapa Abeywardene.
Sheraton Hotels and Resorts will build a property that will cater for both business travellers and tourists taking Sri Lanka holidays, on a seven-acre plot of land on Colombo's waterfront Galle Face Green promenade.
The CATIC deal was cancelled after Sri Lanka annulled a $500 million investment deal because it refused to sell the beach land outright to the Chinese firm.
The Sri Lankan government is negotiating to give CATIC another property, and talks are underway to lease the land in front of Galle Face Green so the company can build another hotel.
Since the end of the island’s decades-long civil war in 2009 the island has seen a significant increase in travellers enjoying Sri Lanka holidays and the tourism industry is beginning to boom.
Image by: Mike Hewitt, on Flickr
At the end of 2010, Sri Lanka Tourism (SLT) celebrated the arrival of 600,000 international visitors. This year, the SLT is hoping to record 700,000 travellers and it has set a target of 2.5 million visitors by 2016.
During holidays to Sri Lanka, tourists can explore the country’s stunning natural landscapes and diverse ecosystem that is made up of comprising miles of sandy beaches, mountains, wildlife sanctuaries, nature parks, and an array of heritage sites including ancient cities and colonial forts.
Image by: Maithri, on Flickr
Many international hotel groups and organisations have been keen to build new Sri Lanka hotels since the end of the civil war and Sheraton Hotels and Resorts is one of the Starwood’s largest luxury hotel brands.
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide owns and operates hotels across the world under nine brands that vary from midscale hotels, to luxury, boutique and environmentally-friendly hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
A warm welcome awaits you behind the striking geometric façade of Holiday Inn Express Dubai-Jumeirah, 20 minutes by taxi...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...