Sheraton to Build Brand New Luxury Hotel in Sri Lanka
Sheraton Hotels and Resorts has announced that it will be building a new hotel in Colombo, following negotiations with the government. The luxury hotel will be aimed at both business travellers and tourists taking Sri Lanka holidays in the capital city.
Sheraton Hotels and Resorts has announced plans to build a brand new luxury hotel in Colombo, the capital city of Sri Lanka.
According to Sri Lanka’s junior economic minister, the hotel will be built on land that was originally offered to the Chinese firm, China National Aero Technology Import and Export Corporation (CATIC).
The island nation's Deputy Minister of Economic Development, Lakshman Yapa Abeywardene, said the government has completed negotiations with the global hotel chain to allocate the land.
"The negotiations with Sheraton are successfully over and we have agreed to give (the) CATIC land," said Lakshman Yapa Abeywardene.
Sheraton Hotels and Resorts will build a property that will cater for both business travellers and tourists taking Sri Lanka holidays, on a seven-acre plot of land on Colombo's waterfront Galle Face Green promenade.
The CATIC deal was cancelled after Sri Lanka annulled a $500 million investment deal because it refused to sell the beach land outright to the Chinese firm.
The Sri Lankan government is negotiating to give CATIC another property, and talks are underway to lease the land in front of Galle Face Green so the company can build another hotel.
Since the end of the island’s decades-long civil war in 2009 the island has seen a significant increase in travellers enjoying Sri Lanka holidays and the tourism industry is beginning to boom.
Image by: Mike Hewitt, on Flickr
At the end of 2010, Sri Lanka Tourism (SLT) celebrated the arrival of 600,000 international visitors. This year, the SLT is hoping to record 700,000 travellers and it has set a target of 2.5 million visitors by 2016.
During holidays to Sri Lanka, tourists can explore the country’s stunning natural landscapes and diverse ecosystem that is made up of comprising miles of sandy beaches, mountains, wildlife sanctuaries, nature parks, and an array of heritage sites including ancient cities and colonial forts.
Image by: Maithri, on Flickr
Many international hotel groups and organisations have been keen to build new Sri Lanka hotels since the end of the civil war and Sheraton Hotels and Resorts is one of the Starwood’s largest luxury hotel brands.
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide owns and operates hotels across the world under nine brands that vary from midscale hotels, to luxury, boutique and environmentally-friendly hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
Fun and relaxation for all the family - there's something for everyone at Laguna Beach, come and discover it for yourself.
- Romantic boutique hotel at the beautiful Fisherman's Cove
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for three years in a row
- Complimentary watersport like glass bottom boat, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling and more
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...