Baltimore-Washington International to Launch Flights to Cuba in March 2012
Officials from Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport in the United States have announced that American travellers planning Cuba holidays will be able to take weekly charter flights to Cuba from the airport starting March next year.
American Travellers will be able to travel directly from Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport to Havana in Cuba from March next year, following an announcement from airport officials.
Travellers will be able to take weekly charter flights to Cuba holidays after the new service was authorised by federal authorities in the United States.
Paul J. Wiedefeld, the Executive Director of Baltimore-Washington International Airport, said: “We look forward to this charter service, which will provide new travel and exchange opportunities with Cuba.
“There are many organisations and institutions in Maryland and the national capital region that will benefit from this direct access to Cuba and the Cuban people.”
Earlier this year, President Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents, which essentially mean that now many holidaymakers or “vacationers” from the U.S are able to take Cuba holidays for cultural, religious, academic, educational, agricultural and professional purposes.
Image by: alexgrau, on Flickr
Many charter companies and airlines across America have been authorised to provide travel options to the Caribbean island. Other airports in the United States that have been grated permission to provide flights to Cuba include Tampa, Los Angeles, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
The new charter holidays to Cuba will be available via Island Travel and Tours, a company that currently offers flights to Havana from Miami International, John F. Kennedy International in New York, and Los Angeles International. The first flight is scheduled to depart from Baltimore-Washington International Airport in the afternoon on 21st March 2012.
Image by: Snaxx, on Flickr
William Hauf, the President of Island Travel, said: “We’re extremely excited about serving the Baltimore and Washington community with new, historic, direct flights to Cuba.
“These flights will greatly expand opportunities for increased engagement between the two countries and facilitate legal travel to Cuba for business leaders, government officials, diplomats, academics, cultural groups, agricultural interests, performing arts groups and Cuban Americans wishing to reconnect with their families and their country.”
Following the President’s announcement about the changes to the decades-long travel embargo, Cuba has been looking forward to the expected influx of new travellers from the United States. The increase in visitors will be beneficial to Cuba hotels, restaurants, airlines and tourist attractions and will help to boost the national economy.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...