Baltimore-Washington International to Launch Flights to Cuba in March 2012
Officials from Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport in the United States have announced that American travellers planning Cuba holidays will be able to take weekly charter flights to Cuba from the airport starting March next year.
American Travellers will be able to travel directly from Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport to Havana in Cuba from March next year, following an announcement from airport officials.
Travellers will be able to take weekly charter flights to Cuba holidays after the new service was authorised by federal authorities in the United States.
Paul J. Wiedefeld, the Executive Director of Baltimore-Washington International Airport, said: “We look forward to this charter service, which will provide new travel and exchange opportunities with Cuba.
“There are many organisations and institutions in Maryland and the national capital region that will benefit from this direct access to Cuba and the Cuban people.”
Earlier this year, President Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents, which essentially mean that now many holidaymakers or “vacationers” from the U.S are able to take Cuba holidays for cultural, religious, academic, educational, agricultural and professional purposes.
Image by: alexgrau, on Flickr
Many charter companies and airlines across America have been authorised to provide travel options to the Caribbean island. Other airports in the United States that have been grated permission to provide flights to Cuba include Tampa, Los Angeles, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
The new charter holidays to Cuba will be available via Island Travel and Tours, a company that currently offers flights to Havana from Miami International, John F. Kennedy International in New York, and Los Angeles International. The first flight is scheduled to depart from Baltimore-Washington International Airport in the afternoon on 21st March 2012.
Image by: Snaxx, on Flickr
William Hauf, the President of Island Travel, said: “We’re extremely excited about serving the Baltimore and Washington community with new, historic, direct flights to Cuba.
“These flights will greatly expand opportunities for increased engagement between the two countries and facilitate legal travel to Cuba for business leaders, government officials, diplomats, academics, cultural groups, agricultural interests, performing arts groups and Cuban Americans wishing to reconnect with their families and their country.”
Following the President’s announcement about the changes to the decades-long travel embargo, Cuba has been looking forward to the expected influx of new travellers from the United States. The increase in visitors will be beneficial to Cuba hotels, restaurants, airlines and tourist attractions and will help to boost the national economy.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...