Baltimore-Washington International to Launch Flights to Cuba in March 2012
Officials from Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport in the United States have announced that American travellers planning Cuba holidays will be able to take weekly charter flights to Cuba from the airport starting March next year.
American Travellers will be able to travel directly from Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport to Havana in Cuba from March next year, following an announcement from airport officials.
Travellers will be able to take weekly charter flights to Cuba holidays after the new service was authorised by federal authorities in the United States.
Paul J. Wiedefeld, the Executive Director of Baltimore-Washington International Airport, said: “We look forward to this charter service, which will provide new travel and exchange opportunities with Cuba.
“There are many organisations and institutions in Maryland and the national capital region that will benefit from this direct access to Cuba and the Cuban people.”
Earlier this year, President Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents, which essentially mean that now many holidaymakers or “vacationers” from the U.S are able to take Cuba holidays for cultural, religious, academic, educational, agricultural and professional purposes.
Image by: alexgrau, on Flickr
Many charter companies and airlines across America have been authorised to provide travel options to the Caribbean island. Other airports in the United States that have been grated permission to provide flights to Cuba include Tampa, Los Angeles, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
The new charter holidays to Cuba will be available via Island Travel and Tours, a company that currently offers flights to Havana from Miami International, John F. Kennedy International in New York, and Los Angeles International. The first flight is scheduled to depart from Baltimore-Washington International Airport in the afternoon on 21st March 2012.
Image by: Snaxx, on Flickr
William Hauf, the President of Island Travel, said: “We’re extremely excited about serving the Baltimore and Washington community with new, historic, direct flights to Cuba.
“These flights will greatly expand opportunities for increased engagement between the two countries and facilitate legal travel to Cuba for business leaders, government officials, diplomats, academics, cultural groups, agricultural interests, performing arts groups and Cuban Americans wishing to reconnect with their families and their country.”
Following the President’s announcement about the changes to the decades-long travel embargo, Cuba has been looking forward to the expected influx of new travellers from the United States. The increase in visitors will be beneficial to Cuba hotels, restaurants, airlines and tourist attractions and will help to boost the national economy.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...