Baltimore-Washington International to Launch Flights to Cuba in March 2012
Officials from Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport in the United States have announced that American travellers planning Cuba holidays will be able to take weekly charter flights to Cuba from the airport starting March next year.
American Travellers will be able to travel directly from Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport to Havana in Cuba from March next year, following an announcement from airport officials.
Travellers will be able to take weekly charter flights to Cuba holidays after the new service was authorised by federal authorities in the United States.
Paul J. Wiedefeld, the Executive Director of Baltimore-Washington International Airport, said: “We look forward to this charter service, which will provide new travel and exchange opportunities with Cuba.
“There are many organisations and institutions in Maryland and the national capital region that will benefit from this direct access to Cuba and the Cuban people.”
Earlier this year, President Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents, which essentially mean that now many holidaymakers or “vacationers” from the U.S are able to take Cuba holidays for cultural, religious, academic, educational, agricultural and professional purposes.
Image by: alexgrau, on Flickr
Many charter companies and airlines across America have been authorised to provide travel options to the Caribbean island. Other airports in the United States that have been grated permission to provide flights to Cuba include Tampa, Los Angeles, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
The new charter holidays to Cuba will be available via Island Travel and Tours, a company that currently offers flights to Havana from Miami International, John F. Kennedy International in New York, and Los Angeles International. The first flight is scheduled to depart from Baltimore-Washington International Airport in the afternoon on 21st March 2012.
Image by: Snaxx, on Flickr
William Hauf, the President of Island Travel, said: “We’re extremely excited about serving the Baltimore and Washington community with new, historic, direct flights to Cuba.
“These flights will greatly expand opportunities for increased engagement between the two countries and facilitate legal travel to Cuba for business leaders, government officials, diplomats, academics, cultural groups, agricultural interests, performing arts groups and Cuban Americans wishing to reconnect with their families and their country.”
Following the President’s announcement about the changes to the decades-long travel embargo, Cuba has been looking forward to the expected influx of new travellers from the United States. The increase in visitors will be beneficial to Cuba hotels, restaurants, airlines and tourist attractions and will help to boost the national economy.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...