Holness Announces Plans for new Jamaica hotels
The Jamaican President, Andrew Holness, has announced plans for nearly 16,000 additional hotel guest rooms on the tropical Caribbean island over the next few years. The island has seen a recent increase in the number of tourists taking Jamaica holidays.
Jamaica will see nearly 16,000 new guest rooms added to its collection of hotels over the next few years as the President of the island Nation, Andrew Holness announces plans for major expansions.
With more visitors expected to take Jamaica holidays in the near future, the hotel rooms will be used by both business and leisure travellers.
Last week the President said: "Despite several periods of global, economic and political turbulence, this institution [Jamaica Hotel & Tourist Association], established in November, 1961, has continued to be critical for growth and development of the tourist industry in Jamaica. I feel proud to have such talent and commitment serving Jamaica."
Holness explained that five years ago when the Jamaica Hotel & Tourist Association was first established, approximately 224,000 travellers took holidays to Jamaica and 69,000 cruise passengers visited the island, bringing $37 million to the local economy.
The 16,000 new hotel rooms will also create 20,000 tourism jobs across Jamaica hotels and approximately $60 billion is being invested into the island’s tourism industry.
Image by: Jamaica MÃa, on Flickr
The period between January and September this year recorded 763,000 crew ship visitors and 1.5 million travellers from all over the world stopping over at the island for brief Jamaica holidays. Projections for the growth in the number of visitor arrivals in 2011 are expected to increase by six per cent.
Jamaica celebrated its success as a leading tourist destination at the World Travel Awards Caribbean & the Americas Gala Ceremony last month. The island country was awarded the titles of “Caribbean’s Leading Tourist Destination”, the “Caribbean’s Leading Cruise Destination” (following the opening of the new cruise terminal in Falmouth) and the “Caribbean’s Leading Tourist Board” after the island recorded a 5.7 per cent increase in visitor number last year.
Image by: The Nite Tripper, on Flickr
The island offers plenty of accommodation options for travellers on all budgets, from luxury all inclusive beachfront resorts, to charming B&Bs and boutique hotels.
Holidaymakers can enjoy stunning landscapes including white sand beaches, turquoise ocean waters, lush green rolling hills, the majestic Blue Mountains, cascading waterfalls, and dense tropical forests.
Popular tourist attractions in Jamaica include the Bob Marley Museum, Dunn’s River Falls in Ocho Rios, the Green Grotto Caves, the historic Rosehall Great House, botanical gardens, and plantations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, catamarans & More
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...