Seychelles Festival of the Sea Welcomes First Floating Stage
The Seychelles Festival of the Sea, SUBIOS, took place this weekend with the arrival of the first floating stage in Mahe. Tourists taking Seychelles holidays gathered on Beau Vallon beach to witness the opening ceremony and live music on the stage.
The 2011 edition of SUBIOS, the Seychelles Festival of Sea and the Seychelles Roundtable Regatta 2011, took place this weekend with the opening ceremony hosted last Friday 4th November on a large floating stage .
This is the first year a floating stage was brought over to the island of Mahe and during the three-day event, the opening ceremony; prize giving; live music; and the closing ceremony all took place on the unique platform that had been decorated by sponsors and organisers.
Local residents and tourists enjoying Seychelles holidays gathered on Beau Vallon beach to watch live music performed by local and international artists on the floating stage including famous international DJ Juicy M together with Seychellois-born professional DJ Antonius and Trinidad and Tobago’s Soca artist, Lima Calbio.
Image by: SBA73, on Flickr
This year’s entertainment programme included plenty of fun for residents and tourists on Seychelles holidays and included the SUBIOS Film Show, the SUBIOS Treasure Hunt Competition, the SUBIOS Man & Woman Competition, sports tournaments, a family fun beach extravaganza and several food stalls.
At the opening ceremony, The Seychelles Minister for Environment, Natural Resources and Transport, Joel Morgan, said: “This year, 2011 SUBIOS can be seen evolving to embrace the broader themes that have come into play since its launch and which are playing a more prominent role in guiding the national consciousness. Today’s SUBIOS is not only about the ocean, but also about the people who depend on it for their survival and who will do so for many a year to come.”
He added: “However, perhaps today more than ever, we are becoming locked into a defining relationship with the surrounding ocean, the ultimate nature of which may well decide our future on this planet.”
The official partner for the Seychelles Festival of the Sea was Etihad Airways who celebrated their first flight to the Seychelles last Wednesday. The airline will now be operating four weekly flights for travellers taking holidays to the Seychelles.
Alain St. Ange, the Chief Executive of the Seychelles Tourism Board and organiser of SUBIOS, thanked the attendees, international and local artists, organisers and sponsors of the festival and he was presented with a limited edition Dievas Diving watch by Kenneth of Asia Geographic, the Official Publication Partner of the event.
The Seychelles is an idyllic destination in the Indian Ocean that is made up of a collection of islands offering pristine white sand beaches, lush tropical rainforests, sparkling turquoise crystal clear ocean waters and luxurious Seychelles hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Seychelles Browse all
Swim around some of the most amazing under water sites in the world at the Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort and Spa
- Discover incredible flora and fauna including giant tortoise and incense trees
- Choose from a range of casual to gourmet dining options, or opt for an in-villa or under the stars experience
- Indulge in a spa treatment in a magical setting
Set in the breath-taking lagoon area of Mahe, this is certainly a resort that offers elegance as well as an exquisite setting.
- Dining options to suit all tastes from gourmet experiences to casual fare
- Indulge in spa treatments including Elemental Herbology for ultimate skin conditioning
- Swim in the Olympic-length swimming pool, try your luck at the casino and children will love the kids club
Mother nature bestowed unique beauty on the Seychelles, islands of exquisite white sand beaches, lapped by the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean
- Top up your tan, refresh in the pool or go with the flow in a yoga class. Enjoy traditional island cooking, dance, craft and language classes, or action packed days of culture and nature trips.
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- free upgrade from Bed & Breakfast to Half Board
- Experience great culinary variety in six different restaurants including a shisha bar
Relax and unwind on two of the islands best beaches at constance ephelia resort
- Treat your taste buds to culinary treats whether you choose Ã la carte or buffets
- Children will love the kids club which welcomes 4-11 year olds
- Indulge in the U-Spa by Constance designed to restore your well-being
Prepare yourself for a memorable 8-day holiday with your family at the avani seychelles , where you will be able to...
Located on the largest island of the Seychelles, Mahe, the Kempinski Seychelles boasts modern luxury rooms and suites...
The unique all-villa Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa is located on the tropical island of Silhouette, where...
Set 25m from the Au Cap beach on the Island of Mahe lies the cheerful Reef Holiday Apartments. These affordable...
Located in the south of Mahe Island, Au Fond De Mer View is a family-run hotel with stunning views of Anse Royale bay....
Situated on the northern coast of Mahe, Villa Koket is ideal for those looking for a peaceful self-catering getaway near...