Jamaica holidays receive praise and awards at World Travel Awards
The Jamaican Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, and the Director of Tourism, John Lynch have received a prestigious award at the World Travel Awards ceremony for their role in ensuring travellers continue to enjoy Jamaica holidays and head to the island.
Two of Jamaica’s tourism leaders have been recognised at the World Travel Awards Caribbean & the Americas Gala Ceremony for their efforts in guiding the Caribbean country’s tourism industry and ensuring that the island continues to be one of the world’s leading tourist destinations.
Edmund Bartlett, Jamaica’s Tourism Minister, and John Lynch, the Director of Tourism, received the Caribbean Destination Achievement Award at the ceremony which took place earlier this month. The tourism leaders were given the award for their efforts as they spearheaded the growth of the tourism industry and promoted Jamaica holidays during the global recession.
Image by: gunigantip, on Flickr
A citation was read out during the ceremony prior to the leaders receiving the award, which said: “Virtually every strata of every industry in the world has faced unprecedented challenges, with many high-profile names unable to survive in this brave new world of austerity.
“Inevitably, the travel and tourism industry has mirrored the effects taking place in the wider macro-economy. However, during these times Jamaica has seen great organisations, led by great leaders, come good in the face of adversity.
“These two individuals possess an unparalleled thirst for reinvention, coupled with the ability to get things done, that they have played crucial roles in helping their nation’s tourism industry navigate the global downturn with its head held incredibly high.”
Jamaica received several awards at the ceremony including the “Caribbean’s Leading Destination” for the sixth year in a row; “Caribbean’s Leading Cruise Destination”, after the new cruise terminal in Falmouth opened earlier this year, and the “Caribbean’s Leading Tourist Board” title following a 5.7 increase in the number of tourists taking holidays to Jamaica in the last year.
The ceremony was hosted at one of the most luxurious Jamaica hotels, Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort & Private Island.
Image by: Press Tours, on Flickr
The island’s success in continuing to provide luxury Jamaica holidays for international travellers has been largely helped by the appointment of Minister Bartlett to the executive council of the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO), as he represents the entire Americas region, including Jamaica.
Minister Bartlett said: “I must admit that we are very humbled by this recognition and the fact that through our efforts Jamaica has been able to perform well in world tourism and in so doing fuel the growth of the industry in the Caribbean.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Located on Trelawny Bay and its beautiful beach
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...