Jamaica holidays receive praise and awards at World Travel Awards
The Jamaican Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, and the Director of Tourism, John Lynch have received a prestigious award at the World Travel Awards ceremony for their role in ensuring travellers continue to enjoy Jamaica holidays and head to the island.
Two of Jamaica’s tourism leaders have been recognised at the World Travel Awards Caribbean & the Americas Gala Ceremony for their efforts in guiding the Caribbean country’s tourism industry and ensuring that the island continues to be one of the world’s leading tourist destinations.
Edmund Bartlett, Jamaica’s Tourism Minister, and John Lynch, the Director of Tourism, received the Caribbean Destination Achievement Award at the ceremony which took place earlier this month. The tourism leaders were given the award for their efforts as they spearheaded the growth of the tourism industry and promoted Jamaica holidays during the global recession.
Image by: gunigantip, on Flickr
A citation was read out during the ceremony prior to the leaders receiving the award, which said: “Virtually every strata of every industry in the world has faced unprecedented challenges, with many high-profile names unable to survive in this brave new world of austerity.
“Inevitably, the travel and tourism industry has mirrored the effects taking place in the wider macro-economy. However, during these times Jamaica has seen great organisations, led by great leaders, come good in the face of adversity.
“These two individuals possess an unparalleled thirst for reinvention, coupled with the ability to get things done, that they have played crucial roles in helping their nation’s tourism industry navigate the global downturn with its head held incredibly high.”
Jamaica received several awards at the ceremony including the “Caribbean’s Leading Destination” for the sixth year in a row; “Caribbean’s Leading Cruise Destination”, after the new cruise terminal in Falmouth opened earlier this year, and the “Caribbean’s Leading Tourist Board” title following a 5.7 increase in the number of tourists taking holidays to Jamaica in the last year.
The ceremony was hosted at one of the most luxurious Jamaica hotels, Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort & Private Island.
Image by: Press Tours, on Flickr
The island’s success in continuing to provide luxury Jamaica holidays for international travellers has been largely helped by the appointment of Minister Bartlett to the executive council of the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO), as he represents the entire Americas region, including Jamaica.
Minister Bartlett said: “I must admit that we are very humbled by this recognition and the fact that through our efforts Jamaica has been able to perform well in world tourism and in so doing fuel the growth of the industry in the Caribbean.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- July Special offers now in place with savings until 2019
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free and a saving of upto 14%
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...