National Geographic Launches Cultural Cuba Holidays
American travellers will now be able to take Cuba holidays with the National Geographic Society after it recently received a special licence from the U.S. Department of the Treasury that will allow it to offer expeditions to the Caribbean island.
The National Geographic Society has received a special licence that will allow it to provide special excursions for American citizens visiting the island of Cuba.
American travellers will now be able to enjoy Cuba holidays lovingly packaged by one of the world’s largest educational and scientific institutions, thanks to a new licence that has been granted by the U.S Department of the Treasury.
The new programme titled, Cuba: Discovering its People and Culture, will give U.S residents the opportunity to take holidays to Cuba and meet and interact with Cubans, whilst experiencing the communist nation’s culture, heritage, cuisine and breathtaking landscapes.
The 10-day expedition includes tours of the UNESCO World Heritage sites of Old Havana and Trinidad which are led by Cuban preservationists; a meeting with the curator of Ernest Hemingway’s hilltop home, Finca Vigia, which is now a famous museum; music and dance performances; and the chance to meet Julio Muñoz, a Cuban photographer whose family appeared in an article in a 1999 edition of the National Geographic.
Image by: robseye76, on Flickr
Earlier this year, U.S President Barack Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American citizens by re-instating “people-to-people” licences that can be used by approved travel and tour companies and organisations. American travellers can now visit the Caribbean island nation for religious, cultural, academic, educational or professional purposes.
Image by: lumierefl, on Flickr
National Geographic Expeditions previously ran programmes for Cuba holidays in 2001-2002 but these were stopped in 2003 when the then president George Bush imposed new travel restrictions for Americans.
According to National Geographic Expeditions, the dates for the Cuba programme have already sold out but the organisation is planning to add further dates, giving priority to those on the waiting list.
Since the travel restriction changes were announced, Cuba has been looking forward to welcoming an influx of new travellers from the United States. The increase in visitors will be beneficial to Cuba hotels, restaurants, airlines, tourist attractions, and the tourism industry.
The beautiful Caribbean island is located east of Mexico and boasts stunning white sand beaches, historical sites, lush green valleys, mountains, turquoise ocean waters and vibrant coastal reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Oct
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...