National Geographic Launches Cultural Cuba Holidays
American travellers will now be able to take Cuba holidays with the National Geographic Society after it recently received a special licence from the U.S. Department of the Treasury that will allow it to offer expeditions to the Caribbean island.
The National Geographic Society has received a special licence that will allow it to provide special excursions for American citizens visiting the island of Cuba.
American travellers will now be able to enjoy Cuba holidays lovingly packaged by one of the world’s largest educational and scientific institutions, thanks to a new licence that has been granted by the U.S Department of the Treasury.
The new programme titled, Cuba: Discovering its People and Culture, will give U.S residents the opportunity to take holidays to Cuba and meet and interact with Cubans, whilst experiencing the communist nation’s culture, heritage, cuisine and breathtaking landscapes.
The 10-day expedition includes tours of the UNESCO World Heritage sites of Old Havana and Trinidad which are led by Cuban preservationists; a meeting with the curator of Ernest Hemingway’s hilltop home, Finca Vigia, which is now a famous museum; music and dance performances; and the chance to meet Julio Muñoz, a Cuban photographer whose family appeared in an article in a 1999 edition of the National Geographic.
Image by: robseye76, on Flickr
Earlier this year, U.S President Barack Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American citizens by re-instating “people-to-people” licences that can be used by approved travel and tour companies and organisations. American travellers can now visit the Caribbean island nation for religious, cultural, academic, educational or professional purposes.
Image by: lumierefl, on Flickr
National Geographic Expeditions previously ran programmes for Cuba holidays in 2001-2002 but these were stopped in 2003 when the then president George Bush imposed new travel restrictions for Americans.
According to National Geographic Expeditions, the dates for the Cuba programme have already sold out but the organisation is planning to add further dates, giving priority to those on the waiting list.
Since the travel restriction changes were announced, Cuba has been looking forward to welcoming an influx of new travellers from the United States. The increase in visitors will be beneficial to Cuba hotels, restaurants, airlines, tourist attractions, and the tourism industry.
The beautiful Caribbean island is located east of Mexico and boasts stunning white sand beaches, historical sites, lush green valleys, mountains, turquoise ocean waters and vibrant coastal reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...