National Geographic Launches Cultural Cuba Holidays
American travellers will now be able to take Cuba holidays with the National Geographic Society after it recently received a special licence from the U.S. Department of the Treasury that will allow it to offer expeditions to the Caribbean island.
The National Geographic Society has received a special licence that will allow it to provide special excursions for American citizens visiting the island of Cuba.
American travellers will now be able to enjoy Cuba holidays lovingly packaged by one of the world’s largest educational and scientific institutions, thanks to a new licence that has been granted by the U.S Department of the Treasury.
The new programme titled, Cuba: Discovering its People and Culture, will give U.S residents the opportunity to take holidays to Cuba and meet and interact with Cubans, whilst experiencing the communist nation’s culture, heritage, cuisine and breathtaking landscapes.
The 10-day expedition includes tours of the UNESCO World Heritage sites of Old Havana and Trinidad which are led by Cuban preservationists; a meeting with the curator of Ernest Hemingway’s hilltop home, Finca Vigia, which is now a famous museum; music and dance performances; and the chance to meet Julio Muñoz, a Cuban photographer whose family appeared in an article in a 1999 edition of the National Geographic.
Image by: robseye76, on Flickr
Earlier this year, U.S President Barack Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American citizens by re-instating “people-to-people” licences that can be used by approved travel and tour companies and organisations. American travellers can now visit the Caribbean island nation for religious, cultural, academic, educational or professional purposes.
Image by: lumierefl, on Flickr
National Geographic Expeditions previously ran programmes for Cuba holidays in 2001-2002 but these were stopped in 2003 when the then president George Bush imposed new travel restrictions for Americans.
According to National Geographic Expeditions, the dates for the Cuba programme have already sold out but the organisation is planning to add further dates, giving priority to those on the waiting list.
Since the travel restriction changes were announced, Cuba has been looking forward to welcoming an influx of new travellers from the United States. The increase in visitors will be beneficial to Cuba hotels, restaurants, airlines, tourist attractions, and the tourism industry.
The beautiful Caribbean island is located east of Mexico and boasts stunning white sand beaches, historical sites, lush green valleys, mountains, turquoise ocean waters and vibrant coastal reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...