KLM starts operating Cuba flights to Havana
Starting this Monday 31st October 2011, KLM has begun offering thrice weekly flights to Cuba's capital city of Havana, as revealed by the Cuban Ministry of Tourism. Today KLM's first Cuba flight will be departing from Amsterdam and arriving to Havana.
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines has launched today its first Cuba flight to Havana and over the next week a couple of more flights to Havana are to follow. Hoping to extend its portfolio of holiday destinations, the Amsterdam-based airline has opened a new tourism link for Dutch, German, Scandinavian and Eastern European travellers looking to enjoy Cuba holidays.
Starting this Monday, 31st October 2011, the Dutch airline will be operating flights to Cuba's capital with three-times-a-week departures from the carrier's home base in Amsterdam, as revealed by Cuba's Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR).
KLM's new flights to Havana will be departing from Amsterdam on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays and will be serviced aboard MD11 aircraft with capacity for a total of 285 passengers. The planes flying to Cuba will provide 261 economy class seats and 24 business class seats.
"These flights will help to increase visitor arrivals from Scandinavia, Russia, other Eastern European countries, Germany, UK and Holland," said a statement from MINTUR, according to the National Information Agency
The new Cuba flights to Havana are said to be part of a “marked expansion” for the airline in the Caribbean holidays market, according to the words of KLM President and CEO Peter Hartman in a press release earlier this year. KLM’s target customers will be not only Dutch tourists, but also travellers from other European countries attracted by the idea of spending holidays in Cuba, Hartman added.
According to MINTUR, in addition to tourists from the Netherlands, the new KLM connection is expected to bring in more holidaymakers from other European nations.
Image by: stephenk1977, on Flickr
Holland is the ninth largest source of tourists sending travellers to holidays to Cuba and according to official figures, from January to September this year more than 24,000 Dutch holidaymakers have visited the nation.
Cuba expects to receive this year a record figure of 2.7 million tourists . Tourism is the second most important income contributing to the economy of the island, after the sale of professional services, primarily physicians.
Image by: Ulysse2001, on Flickr
According to the Ministry of Tourism's official website, 17 international companies currently operate flights to Cuba, including Virgin Atlantic, Air-France, Iberia, Air-Europe, American Airlines, Lufthansa Airlines, United Airlines, Martinair, Continental Airlines and Air Transat.
Besides offering new possibilities for Cuba holidays for Dutch travellers, the new KLM flight connection to Cuba is expected to connect more European travellers to the island and send more visitors from Scandinavia, Germany and Eastern Europe.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
- Free upgrade to Deluxe Pool View
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...