Minister Bartlett Calls for Caribbean Tourism Sector to Join APD Debate
Edmund Bartlett, the Minister of Tourism in Jamaica, is urging tourism companies and organisations in the Caribbean to join in on the debate that could see changes made to the APD tax which increases the costs for travellers taking Caribbean holidays.
The Minister of Tourism for Jamaica, Edmund Bartlett, is calling on to all travel and tourism companies that operate in the Caribbean to rally around and support the debate that urges the reversal or changes in Air Passenger Duty (APD).
At present, the United Kingdom has the highest rate of APD tax which is added to the cost of Caribbean holidays when travellers depart from UK airports.
Image by: morpheology, on Flickr
While addressing the United Nations World Tourism Organisation’s 19th General Assembly in South Korea last week, Mr Bartlett said: “The debate should continue in light of the fact that the UK Government is facing growing opposition in Parliament over plans to increase the rate of APD.”
He urged companies that specialise in the Caribbean holidays sector to support the debate. He said: “It is critical for tourism interests in the Caribbean to remain involved in this debate. It is important for us to speak with one voice on this urgent matter and to collaborate with our colleagues so as to resolve this dilemma. It is also necessary for us to collaborate with our colleagues in the private sector and the Diaspora in the UK to try and eliminate this predicament.
“It is also very important that the Caribbean retains the continued support of the UNWTO in resolving this urgent issue in a fair and impartial manner.”
APD was introduced by the British Government in 1994 and since then government has increased the tax by an incredible 2,600 per cent which has had an impact on the number of travellers who book holidays to the Caribbean.
Image by: *michael sweet*, on Flickr
The tax is charged according to how far away the capital of a country is from the United Kingdom. Despite Florida and Hawaii being located further from the UK, the country’s capital city of New York is closer than many Caribbean capital cities, so passengers travelling to the United States, regardless of the city or estate are charged less.
British Airways announced last month that they would be cutting the number of Caribbean flights it offers they offer because of the excessive APD tax, and many businesses in the region are also struggling, especially Caribbean hotels and resorts as travellers opt for cheaper holiday destinations such as Florida.
Mr Bartlett concluded: “We in the Caribbean should support the proposal suggested by the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) for a less discriminatory approach to the computation of the tax that is imposed. We have recommended that the band arrangement be adjusted to establish only two bands for long and short haul respectively in addition to a rate adjustment. This we believe would provide an alternative revenue neutral solution which is more closely aligned to actual carbon emissions as opposed to the arbitrary classifications based on bands which now exist.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay in pure paradise at a beautiful 25-acre property, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
- Adults Only All Inclusive
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa
- Relax and unwind upon paradisiacal beaches
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...