Minister Bartlett Calls for Caribbean Tourism Sector to Join APD Debate
Edmund Bartlett, the Minister of Tourism in Jamaica, is urging tourism companies and organisations in the Caribbean to join in on the debate that could see changes made to the APD tax which increases the costs for travellers taking Caribbean holidays.
The Minister of Tourism for Jamaica, Edmund Bartlett, is calling on to all travel and tourism companies that operate in the Caribbean to rally around and support the debate that urges the reversal or changes in Air Passenger Duty (APD).
At present, the United Kingdom has the highest rate of APD tax which is added to the cost of Caribbean holidays when travellers depart from UK airports.
Image by: morpheology, on Flickr
While addressing the United Nations World Tourism Organisation’s 19th General Assembly in South Korea last week, Mr Bartlett said: “The debate should continue in light of the fact that the UK Government is facing growing opposition in Parliament over plans to increase the rate of APD.”
He urged companies that specialise in the Caribbean holidays sector to support the debate. He said: “It is critical for tourism interests in the Caribbean to remain involved in this debate. It is important for us to speak with one voice on this urgent matter and to collaborate with our colleagues so as to resolve this dilemma. It is also necessary for us to collaborate with our colleagues in the private sector and the Diaspora in the UK to try and eliminate this predicament.
“It is also very important that the Caribbean retains the continued support of the UNWTO in resolving this urgent issue in a fair and impartial manner.”
APD was introduced by the British Government in 1994 and since then government has increased the tax by an incredible 2,600 per cent which has had an impact on the number of travellers who book holidays to the Caribbean.
Image by: *michael sweet*, on Flickr
The tax is charged according to how far away the capital of a country is from the United Kingdom. Despite Florida and Hawaii being located further from the UK, the country’s capital city of New York is closer than many Caribbean capital cities, so passengers travelling to the United States, regardless of the city or estate are charged less.
British Airways announced last month that they would be cutting the number of Caribbean flights it offers they offer because of the excessive APD tax, and many businesses in the region are also struggling, especially Caribbean hotels and resorts as travellers opt for cheaper holiday destinations such as Florida.
Mr Bartlett concluded: “We in the Caribbean should support the proposal suggested by the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) for a less discriminatory approach to the computation of the tax that is imposed. We have recommended that the band arrangement be adjusted to establish only two bands for long and short haul respectively in addition to a rate adjustment. This we believe would provide an alternative revenue neutral solution which is more closely aligned to actual carbon emissions as opposed to the arbitrary classifications based on bands which now exist.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...