VIP WTA Caribbean & Americans Ceremony to Take Place This Week in Jamaica
Jamaica, Barbados and St Lucia will be battling it out for the prestigious award that will honour one of them as the leading destination for Caribbean holidays on 19th October as the VIP World Travel Awards ceremony takes place in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
St Lucia, Barbados and Jamaica are getting ready to battle it out for the prestigious title of the Caribbean’s Leading Destination at the VIP World Travel Awards (WTA) ceremony which is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 19th October, 2011.
The three picturesque islands are among some of the nations that will be competing for the award which will honour them as the top destination for Caribbean holidays at the WTA 2011 Caribbean & The Americas Ceremony.
The ceremony will be hosted at the Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort & Private Island in Montego Bay, Jamaica and will attract top travel and tourism industry leaders from companies and organisations across the Americas and the Caribbean who specialise in providing luxury holidays for international travellers.
Image by: Press Tours, on Flickr
President and Founder of the World Travel Awards, Graham E. Cooke, said: “The Caribbean travel and tourism economy has demonstrated remarkable resilience, given the challenges faced by its key source markets in Europe and North America. In particular, our host Jamaica is enjoying an excellent year. Provisional estimates out of that country suggest gross earnings of almost US$1.5 billion during the first eight months of 2011 thanks to a 5.7 percent increase in visitor arrivals.
“This is testament to tourism’s role as the engine of the Caribbean economy with the power to steer the region out of one of the most challenging periods in global financial history.”
He added: “Our nominees represent those organisations that have made the greatest contribution to the performance of the Caribbean, and I look forward to finding out which ones will make it on to the winner’s podium on 19th October.”
This year, the Caribbean hotels that will be competing for the coveted title of “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel” include the Half Moon which specialises in luxury Jamaica holidays; the Jumby Bay in Antigua; Parrot Cay in Turks & Caicos; the Sandy Lane, a popular upscale resort for Barbados holidays; and the Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, Bahamas.
Nominees for the “Caribbean’s Leading Airline” category include Delta Airlines, Caribbean Airlines, Air Jamaica and Air Canada.
Hailed as the “Oscars of the travel industry” by the global media, the World Travel Awards Caribbean & The Americas Ceremony will honour the destinations, hotels and organisations that have largely contributed to the Caribbean holidays sector over the 12 months.
Image by: deanspic, on Flickr
Chairman of the Jamaica Tourist Board, John Lynch, commented: “As a tourism region, the Caribbean has a lot to offer. Many of the world’s premium brands are available within the region and these are complimented by brands that developed in the Caribbean and have earned world-renowned status. Caribbean people are also naturally hospitable and throughout history, have had to conquer several challenges. Our resilience is well honed.”
The Caribbean & The Americas Ceremony is the fifth and final leg of World Travel Awards 2011 Grand Tour which has had heats in Dubai, Turkey Egypt and Thailand this year. The regional winners from these heats will go on to the Grand Final at the end of the year in Qatar.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...