VIP WTA Caribbean & Americans Ceremony to Take Place This Week in Jamaica
Jamaica, Barbados and St Lucia will be battling it out for the prestigious award that will honour one of them as the leading destination for Caribbean holidays on 19th October as the VIP World Travel Awards ceremony takes place in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
St Lucia, Barbados and Jamaica are getting ready to battle it out for the prestigious title of the Caribbean’s Leading Destination at the VIP World Travel Awards (WTA) ceremony which is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 19th October, 2011.
The three picturesque islands are among some of the nations that will be competing for the award which will honour them as the top destination for Caribbean holidays at the WTA 2011 Caribbean & The Americas Ceremony.
The ceremony will be hosted at the Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort & Private Island in Montego Bay, Jamaica and will attract top travel and tourism industry leaders from companies and organisations across the Americas and the Caribbean who specialise in providing luxury holidays for international travellers.
Image by: Press Tours, on Flickr
President and Founder of the World Travel Awards, Graham E. Cooke, said: “The Caribbean travel and tourism economy has demonstrated remarkable resilience, given the challenges faced by its key source markets in Europe and North America. In particular, our host Jamaica is enjoying an excellent year. Provisional estimates out of that country suggest gross earnings of almost US$1.5 billion during the first eight months of 2011 thanks to a 5.7 percent increase in visitor arrivals.
“This is testament to tourism’s role as the engine of the Caribbean economy with the power to steer the region out of one of the most challenging periods in global financial history.”
He added: “Our nominees represent those organisations that have made the greatest contribution to the performance of the Caribbean, and I look forward to finding out which ones will make it on to the winner’s podium on 19th October.”
This year, the Caribbean hotels that will be competing for the coveted title of “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel” include the Half Moon which specialises in luxury Jamaica holidays; the Jumby Bay in Antigua; Parrot Cay in Turks & Caicos; the Sandy Lane, a popular upscale resort for Barbados holidays; and the Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, Bahamas.
Nominees for the “Caribbean’s Leading Airline” category include Delta Airlines, Caribbean Airlines, Air Jamaica and Air Canada.
Hailed as the “Oscars of the travel industry” by the global media, the World Travel Awards Caribbean & The Americas Ceremony will honour the destinations, hotels and organisations that have largely contributed to the Caribbean holidays sector over the 12 months.
Image by: deanspic, on Flickr
Chairman of the Jamaica Tourist Board, John Lynch, commented: “As a tourism region, the Caribbean has a lot to offer. Many of the world’s premium brands are available within the region and these are complimented by brands that developed in the Caribbean and have earned world-renowned status. Caribbean people are also naturally hospitable and throughout history, have had to conquer several challenges. Our resilience is well honed.”
The Caribbean & The Americas Ceremony is the fifth and final leg of World Travel Awards 2011 Grand Tour which has had heats in Dubai, Turkey Egypt and Thailand this year. The regional winners from these heats will go on to the Grand Final at the end of the year in Qatar.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...