VIP WTA Caribbean & Americans Ceremony to Take Place This Week in Jamaica
Jamaica, Barbados and St Lucia will be battling it out for the prestigious award that will honour one of them as the leading destination for Caribbean holidays on 19th October as the VIP World Travel Awards ceremony takes place in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
St Lucia, Barbados and Jamaica are getting ready to battle it out for the prestigious title of the Caribbean’s Leading Destination at the VIP World Travel Awards (WTA) ceremony which is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 19th October, 2011.
The three picturesque islands are among some of the nations that will be competing for the award which will honour them as the top destination for Caribbean holidays at the WTA 2011 Caribbean & The Americas Ceremony.
The ceremony will be hosted at the Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort & Private Island in Montego Bay, Jamaica and will attract top travel and tourism industry leaders from companies and organisations across the Americas and the Caribbean who specialise in providing luxury holidays for international travellers.
Image by: Press Tours, on Flickr
President and Founder of the World Travel Awards, Graham E. Cooke, said: “The Caribbean travel and tourism economy has demonstrated remarkable resilience, given the challenges faced by its key source markets in Europe and North America. In particular, our host Jamaica is enjoying an excellent year. Provisional estimates out of that country suggest gross earnings of almost US$1.5 billion during the first eight months of 2011 thanks to a 5.7 percent increase in visitor arrivals.
“This is testament to tourism’s role as the engine of the Caribbean economy with the power to steer the region out of one of the most challenging periods in global financial history.”
He added: “Our nominees represent those organisations that have made the greatest contribution to the performance of the Caribbean, and I look forward to finding out which ones will make it on to the winner’s podium on 19th October.”
This year, the Caribbean hotels that will be competing for the coveted title of “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel” include the Half Moon which specialises in luxury Jamaica holidays; the Jumby Bay in Antigua; Parrot Cay in Turks & Caicos; the Sandy Lane, a popular upscale resort for Barbados holidays; and the Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, Bahamas.
Nominees for the “Caribbean’s Leading Airline” category include Delta Airlines, Caribbean Airlines, Air Jamaica and Air Canada.
Hailed as the “Oscars of the travel industry” by the global media, the World Travel Awards Caribbean & The Americas Ceremony will honour the destinations, hotels and organisations that have largely contributed to the Caribbean holidays sector over the 12 months.
Image by: deanspic, on Flickr
Chairman of the Jamaica Tourist Board, John Lynch, commented: “As a tourism region, the Caribbean has a lot to offer. Many of the world’s premium brands are available within the region and these are complimented by brands that developed in the Caribbean and have earned world-renowned status. Caribbean people are also naturally hospitable and throughout history, have had to conquer several challenges. Our resilience is well honed.”
The Caribbean & The Americas Ceremony is the fifth and final leg of World Travel Awards 2011 Grand Tour which has had heats in Dubai, Turkey Egypt and Thailand this year. The regional winners from these heats will go on to the Grand Final at the end of the year in Qatar.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...