VIP WTA Caribbean & Americans Ceremony to Take Place This Week in Jamaica
Jamaica, Barbados and St Lucia will be battling it out for the prestigious award that will honour one of them as the leading destination for Caribbean holidays on 19th October as the VIP World Travel Awards ceremony takes place in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
St Lucia, Barbados and Jamaica are getting ready to battle it out for the prestigious title of the Caribbean’s Leading Destination at the VIP World Travel Awards (WTA) ceremony which is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 19th October, 2011.
The three picturesque islands are among some of the nations that will be competing for the award which will honour them as the top destination for Caribbean holidays at the WTA 2011 Caribbean & The Americas Ceremony.
The ceremony will be hosted at the Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort & Private Island in Montego Bay, Jamaica and will attract top travel and tourism industry leaders from companies and organisations across the Americas and the Caribbean who specialise in providing luxury holidays for international travellers.
Image by: Press Tours, on Flickr
President and Founder of the World Travel Awards, Graham E. Cooke, said: “The Caribbean travel and tourism economy has demonstrated remarkable resilience, given the challenges faced by its key source markets in Europe and North America. In particular, our host Jamaica is enjoying an excellent year. Provisional estimates out of that country suggest gross earnings of almost US$1.5 billion during the first eight months of 2011 thanks to a 5.7 percent increase in visitor arrivals.
“This is testament to tourism’s role as the engine of the Caribbean economy with the power to steer the region out of one of the most challenging periods in global financial history.”
He added: “Our nominees represent those organisations that have made the greatest contribution to the performance of the Caribbean, and I look forward to finding out which ones will make it on to the winner’s podium on 19th October.”
This year, the Caribbean hotels that will be competing for the coveted title of “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel” include the Half Moon which specialises in luxury Jamaica holidays; the Jumby Bay in Antigua; Parrot Cay in Turks & Caicos; the Sandy Lane, a popular upscale resort for Barbados holidays; and the Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, Bahamas.
Nominees for the “Caribbean’s Leading Airline” category include Delta Airlines, Caribbean Airlines, Air Jamaica and Air Canada.
Hailed as the “Oscars of the travel industry” by the global media, the World Travel Awards Caribbean & The Americas Ceremony will honour the destinations, hotels and organisations that have largely contributed to the Caribbean holidays sector over the 12 months.
Image by: deanspic, on Flickr
Chairman of the Jamaica Tourist Board, John Lynch, commented: “As a tourism region, the Caribbean has a lot to offer. Many of the world’s premium brands are available within the region and these are complimented by brands that developed in the Caribbean and have earned world-renowned status. Caribbean people are also naturally hospitable and throughout history, have had to conquer several challenges. Our resilience is well honed.”
The Caribbean & The Americas Ceremony is the fifth and final leg of World Travel Awards 2011 Grand Tour which has had heats in Dubai, Turkey Egypt and Thailand this year. The regional winners from these heats will go on to the Grand Final at the end of the year in Qatar.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...