VIP WTA Caribbean & Americans Ceremony to Take Place This Week in Jamaica
Jamaica, Barbados and St Lucia will be battling it out for the prestigious award that will honour one of them as the leading destination for Caribbean holidays on 19th October as the VIP World Travel Awards ceremony takes place in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
St Lucia, Barbados and Jamaica are getting ready to battle it out for the prestigious title of the Caribbean’s Leading Destination at the VIP World Travel Awards (WTA) ceremony which is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 19th October, 2011.
The three picturesque islands are among some of the nations that will be competing for the award which will honour them as the top destination for Caribbean holidays at the WTA 2011 Caribbean & The Americas Ceremony.
The ceremony will be hosted at the Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort & Private Island in Montego Bay, Jamaica and will attract top travel and tourism industry leaders from companies and organisations across the Americas and the Caribbean who specialise in providing luxury holidays for international travellers.
Image by: Press Tours, on Flickr
President and Founder of the World Travel Awards, Graham E. Cooke, said: “The Caribbean travel and tourism economy has demonstrated remarkable resilience, given the challenges faced by its key source markets in Europe and North America. In particular, our host Jamaica is enjoying an excellent year. Provisional estimates out of that country suggest gross earnings of almost US$1.5 billion during the first eight months of 2011 thanks to a 5.7 percent increase in visitor arrivals.
“This is testament to tourism’s role as the engine of the Caribbean economy with the power to steer the region out of one of the most challenging periods in global financial history.”
He added: “Our nominees represent those organisations that have made the greatest contribution to the performance of the Caribbean, and I look forward to finding out which ones will make it on to the winner’s podium on 19th October.”
This year, the Caribbean hotels that will be competing for the coveted title of “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel” include the Half Moon which specialises in luxury Jamaica holidays; the Jumby Bay in Antigua; Parrot Cay in Turks & Caicos; the Sandy Lane, a popular upscale resort for Barbados holidays; and the Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, Bahamas.
Nominees for the “Caribbean’s Leading Airline” category include Delta Airlines, Caribbean Airlines, Air Jamaica and Air Canada.
Hailed as the “Oscars of the travel industry” by the global media, the World Travel Awards Caribbean & The Americas Ceremony will honour the destinations, hotels and organisations that have largely contributed to the Caribbean holidays sector over the 12 months.
Image by: deanspic, on Flickr
Chairman of the Jamaica Tourist Board, John Lynch, commented: “As a tourism region, the Caribbean has a lot to offer. Many of the world’s premium brands are available within the region and these are complimented by brands that developed in the Caribbean and have earned world-renowned status. Caribbean people are also naturally hospitable and throughout history, have had to conquer several challenges. Our resilience is well honed.”
The Caribbean & The Americas Ceremony is the fifth and final leg of World Travel Awards 2011 Grand Tour which has had heats in Dubai, Turkey Egypt and Thailand this year. The regional winners from these heats will go on to the Grand Final at the end of the year in Qatar.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...