Key West International Airport Authorised to Offer Flights to Cuba
American travellers will have more flight options for Cuba holidays as Key West International Airport in Florida receives permission from federal authorities to offer flights to the Caribbean island; however these are limited to only 10 passengers or less
The U.S federal authorities have given permission to Key West International Airport allowing it to offer a new Cuba route for American travellers.
Key West International Airport is the latest airport in the United States to be given permission to provide flights to Cuba holidays for American residents but because it is a small airport, the planes will be restricted to carrying only 10 passengers or less to Cuban airports.
Florida's southernmost airport is located just 90 miles across the Florida Straits from the Caribbean communist island and the charter flights to Cuba will take just 30 minutes for American travellers.
Until recently only three airports in the United States - Miami, Los Angeles and New York’s JFK - were permitted to operate Cuba flights but in January this year, President Obama relaxed restrictions on the ongoing U.S-Cuba travel embargo, and several airports have received permission to operate charter flights to the island nation. These include airports in Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas, Fort Lauderdale, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Tampa and San Juan in Puerto Rico.
American residents are now permitted to take Cuba holidays for religious, academic, cultural, educational, and professional purposes and Cuban-Americans can now visit their homeland without any restrictions.
Image by: analista55, on Flickr
The Director of Airports for Monroe County where Key West International Airport is located, Peter Horton, said that the authorisation email he received from U.S. Customs and Border Protection did have some restrictions for Cuba flights.
"It does not open up flights for the average American and it limits arriving passengers to 10 per flight. But it's the first step and it's an important one," Horton explained.
He added: "Cuban-Americans with relatives in Cuba could fly from here, when we have an airline arranged, as could anyone with a federal license to visit Cuba, but not tourists visiting the Keys, or locals."
Key West International Airport has already begun a $2.25 million upgrade project that is expected to be completed in two years and will see the expansion of facilities for Customs and Border Protection in order to receive more passengers.
According to Cuban statistics, the number of U.S citizens who visited Cuba in 2010 increased by 20 per cent and 350,000 Cuban-Americans visited family and friends following the relaxed travel restrictions.
The Caribbean island is expecting to receive nearly three million tourists in 2011 as travellers from all over the globe visit Cuba hotels, tourist attractions, beach resorts and historical sites.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...