Tony Jacklin to Design New Golf Course at Five Star Carbonera Club in Cuba
British golfer Tony Jacklin is assisting the Esencia Group and their Cuban partners, Palmares, with the design of a new golf course. The 18-hole course is part of the new 5-star Carbonera Club resort designed exclusively for golfers taking Cuba holidays.
British golfer, Tony Jacklin CBE, has entered into a new venture with the Esencia group and Palmares to develop a brand new 18-hole golf course in Cuba.
The golf course is being built at the new five-star Carbonera Club, Hotel and Golf Course near Varadero and will provide luxurious holiday accommodation and facilities for golfing enthusiasts taking Cuba holidays.
Jacklin visited the Caribbean island for the first time in April this year when he was the Guest of Honour at The Montecristo Cup 2011. He will be involved in the design of the oceanfront course and said: “Cuba is an ideal location for golf tournaments and has a bright future with regard to courses. Where else can you light up a cigar and strike the ball?”
The upscale resort is one of only four golf resorts that are under final negotiation in Cuba and the course will also feature a Tony Jacklin Golf Academy where amateur and professionals can practice their swing techniques during holidays to Cuba.
The developers of the golf course are the British Esencia Group and their Cuban partners, Palmares, who are involved in the development of several golfing Cuba hotels across the island.
Officials are seeing a demand for golf in Cuba among international visitors and local residents and more golf-friendly resorts are being developed across the island country. At present there is only one 18-hole and one 9-hole golf course in Cuba and the Carbonera Club is likely to attract a large number of high end travellers taking luxury Cuba holidays when it opens as a first five-star integrated golf resort on the northern coast of the island, in a perfect location that's 60 minutes from Havana and 20 minutes from Varadero.
The recent easing of restrictions of the U.S and Cuba travel embargo is expected to encourage more American golfers to visit the communist country to play a few rounds of the game within breathtaking natural surroundings.
Andrew Macdonald, the CEO of Esencia Group spoke about the venture earlier this year. He said: "Golf is becoming a reality in Cuba this year... Golf just wasn't a priority in Cuba before and now it is... We hope that in years to come emerging young players will have the chance to develop and compete on an international level. The Cuban government has a vision of establishing 15-16 new golf courses in the next five to seven years.”
“It is exciting times. The Cuban economy is undergoing significant development. The recent congress approved a sweeping number of reforms that will affect almost all sectors of the economy. The development of golf courses is a priority for the tourism sector and Carbonera is making steady progress. Cuba’s much anticipated first five star integrated golf resort, long considered to be far-off, is about to become a reality.”
The Carbonera Club’s hotel and spa will be managed by GHM Hotels and the resort will feature luxurious accommodation and facilities, as well as its very own marina.
Macdonald added: “The last two years Montecristo Cup winners have always had a local Cuban among the prize winners, perhaps their knowledge of local conditions gives an advantage…..we are delighted to have a legend like Tony assist us in growing this sport in Cuba.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...