Tony Jacklin to Design New Golf Course at Five Star Carbonera Club in Cuba
British golfer Tony Jacklin is assisting the Esencia Group and their Cuban partners, Palmares, with the design of a new golf course. The 18-hole course is part of the new 5-star Carbonera Club resort designed exclusively for golfers taking Cuba holidays.
British golfer, Tony Jacklin CBE, has entered into a new venture with the Esencia group and Palmares to develop a brand new 18-hole golf course in Cuba.
The golf course is being built at the new five-star Carbonera Club, Hotel and Golf Course near Varadero and will provide luxurious holiday accommodation and facilities for golfing enthusiasts taking Cuba holidays.
Jacklin visited the Caribbean island for the first time in April this year when he was the Guest of Honour at The Montecristo Cup 2011. He will be involved in the design of the oceanfront course and said: “Cuba is an ideal location for golf tournaments and has a bright future with regard to courses. Where else can you light up a cigar and strike the ball?”
The upscale resort is one of only four golf resorts that are under final negotiation in Cuba and the course will also feature a Tony Jacklin Golf Academy where amateur and professionals can practice their swing techniques during holidays to Cuba.
The developers of the golf course are the British Esencia Group and their Cuban partners, Palmares, who are involved in the development of several golfing Cuba hotels across the island.
Officials are seeing a demand for golf in Cuba among international visitors and local residents and more golf-friendly resorts are being developed across the island country. At present there is only one 18-hole and one 9-hole golf course in Cuba and the Carbonera Club is likely to attract a large number of high end travellers taking luxury Cuba holidays when it opens as a first five-star integrated golf resort on the northern coast of the island, in a perfect location that's 60 minutes from Havana and 20 minutes from Varadero.
The recent easing of restrictions of the U.S and Cuba travel embargo is expected to encourage more American golfers to visit the communist country to play a few rounds of the game within breathtaking natural surroundings.
Andrew Macdonald, the CEO of Esencia Group spoke about the venture earlier this year. He said: "Golf is becoming a reality in Cuba this year... Golf just wasn't a priority in Cuba before and now it is... We hope that in years to come emerging young players will have the chance to develop and compete on an international level. The Cuban government has a vision of establishing 15-16 new golf courses in the next five to seven years.”
“It is exciting times. The Cuban economy is undergoing significant development. The recent congress approved a sweeping number of reforms that will affect almost all sectors of the economy. The development of golf courses is a priority for the tourism sector and Carbonera is making steady progress. Cuba’s much anticipated first five star integrated golf resort, long considered to be far-off, is about to become a reality.”
The Carbonera Club’s hotel and spa will be managed by GHM Hotels and the resort will feature luxurious accommodation and facilities, as well as its very own marina.
Macdonald added: “The last two years Montecristo Cup winners have always had a local Cuban among the prize winners, perhaps their knowledge of local conditions gives an advantage…..we are delighted to have a legend like Tony assist us in growing this sport in Cuba.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...