The pledge to make Maldives holidays carbon neutral
As part of the Six Senses SLOWLIFE Symposium being held in the Soneva Fushi resort during the next few days, President Mohamed Nasheed has promised greener Maldives holidays for everyone by taking steps to become the world's first carbon neutral country.
Since last year, the Maldives have made significant progress towards their plan of becoming the first carbon neutral country in the world, and during the recent Six Senses SLOWLIFE Symposium currently taking place at the Six Senses Soneva Fushi resort in the Maldives, the government has given full backing to achieve this amazing milestone.
Currently on day three of the Six Senses SLOWLIFE SYMPOSIUM meetings, Maldives' president, Mohamed Nasheed made a pledge to take all steps necessary to make the Maldives the greenest of countries and achieve a carbon neutral status.
Present at the meeting, Virgin owner and legendary business tycoon Richard Branson joined a list of other famous celebrities including actress Daryl Hannah, actor and active environmentalist Edward Norton, journalists, government ministers and various representatives from the global tourism industry.
Speaking to such a varied audience of dignitaries, artists and entrepreneurs, Mr Nasheed outlined several areas in which the Maldives government had made important progress over the last year, including:
- Publishing the new carbon neutral electricity plan online and inviting ‘crowd-sourcing’ comments from experts worldwide
- Committing to a new target to generate 60% of electricity via solar power by 2020, and reducing electricity emissions by 80% without putting up the cost of power to consumers
- The signing of the first contract under the new ‘feed-in-tariff’ between the state electricity company and a Male hotel chain to supply solar power onto the grid
- A new import regime by the Transport Ministry to ensure that in future electric cars will be a third of the price of conventional petrol cars
- New policies to encourage the uptake of renewable energy and marine transport
- The pledge to spend 2% of national income on renewable energy deployment in the country
Image by: thetravelguru, on Flickr
All these important steps are being taken to ensure the sustainability of Maldives holidays today and in the future. Calling for "new thinking", the president alerted all those present by saying: "If we don’t have alternative fuels we are going to have the mother of all recessions. The way to kick-start the revolution is to have no tax on all clean energy while slowly increasing tax on dirty energy.”
Sir Branson took the opportunity to also call on all European aviation authorities and airports to do more to reduce the aviation industry’s energy emissions and said that the climate change battle is the “biggest entrepreneurial opportunity of our lifetime”.
"Every single ecosystem is in decline. We must revalue how we value our natural assets and how we reduce our consumption patterns. But it is important for all of us to stay positive. Martin Luther King did not get his message across by saying 'I have a nightmare'." he said.
Greener Maldives holidays are already a reality as the government works hard to implement the new rules, but the President put emphasis on not letting the Maldives be an isolated example, saying that cutting carbon emissions did not mean staying in poverty. "Rich countries are led by the world’s biggest debtor, the United States. Poor countries are led by the biggest investor, the People’s Republic of China. Are they poor or are they rich?”
Throughout the three days of the symposium there has been a lot of narrative about empowering ordinary people around the globe to take part in the climate change problem by engaging as much as possible with the solutions we have at hand to reduce carbon footprints. An initiative that can be adopted at many Maldives hotels with the implementation of greener measures to reduce waste and use resources responsibly.
Throughout the following days, the SLOWLIFE Symposium with the theme "Progressive Solutions for Future Tourism" will continue to discuss the future of tourism, the carbon footprint for holidays to the Maldives and how the travel industry can be made more sustainable in a carbon-constrained world. Chief Executive and Founder of the prestigious brand of Six Senses Resorts and Spa, Sonu Shivdasani, whose hotel company is deeply committed to the environment and currently hosting the SLOWLIFE Symposium, said: “At Soneva Fushi, we are committed to decarbonise by 2013. We are determined to provide the roadmap for others travel and tourism companies to follow – both here in the Maldives and worldwide.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
See what the Maldives really has to offer at Velassaru Maldives, with a great array of excursions.
- Fantastic selection of excursions from night snorkelling to fishing to a trip to Male to having an island all to yourself!
- As well as chilling on the beach or visiting the Spa, why not go an practice the ancient art of Yoga?
- Five wonderful dining venues and two exciting bars means you have a range of options depending on what mood you are in
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- exclusive rate reduction for our clients
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Surrounded by crystal clear waters and tropical vegetation, Olhuveli Beach and Spa Resort is home away from home.
- Sunset Fishing, Male Sightseeing, a visit to a local island and Snorkelling Safari are just some of the excursions available
- From a kids club and live evening entertainment to the Sun Spa, there is something to cater for the needs of all family members
- Enjoy spa credit, included excursions, sunset cruises and more with the Emerald Plan, whilst the All Inclusive package offers use of sports facilities for free
- free room upgrade to the next category
Bask in the crystal waters of the Indian Ocean with this stunning Maldivian hideaway
- Explore the local reef with an expert guide
- Experience the true Maldivian way of life with a local family
- Indulge your senses with serene tranquillity at the Spa
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Transform your senses and discover a new world at the picturesque Olhuveli Beach & Spa Resort. The elegantly designed...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....