Egypt Honoured at World Travel Awards 2011 in SOHO Square
Egypt's resilient travel and tourism industry has been recognised at a World Travel Awards VIP gala ceremony at the SOHO Square in Sharm el Sheikh. Despite a turbulent year, travellers have continued to take Egypt holidays to cities all over the country.
Despite a turbulent year with political protests and riots, Egypt’s tourist organisations, attractions, hotels and resorts have triumphed at the recent VIP gala ceremony hosted by World Travel Awards 2011.
The World Travel Awards 2011 Africa and Indian Ocean ceremony was held at SOHO Square in Sharm el Sheikh, a premier diving, shopping and entertainment holiday destination. Several tourist attractions, hotels and travel organisations that cater for travellers taking Egypt holidays were honoured at the ceremony.
The Pyramids of Giza beat Victoria Falls, Serengeti National Park and Mount Kilimanjaro by winning “Africa’s Leading Attraction”; Sierra Resort Sharm el Sheikh was voted as “Egypt’s Leading All-inclusive Resort”; and Egypt Air won the award for “Africa’s Leading Business Class Airline”.
The prestigious event was attended by tourist board chiefs, government ministers, and chief executives of blue-chip travel companies who travelled to Egypt from Africa and the Indian Ocean to celebrate the awards. Media companies who also attended the ceremony included the National Geographic Traveller, Discovery Channel, Newsweek, Weltexpress and Times of India.
President of the World Travel Awards, Graham Cooke, highlighted the importance of Egypt holidays and the tourism sector as the country enters a new democratic system.
“Egypt is proving a textbook example of world-class destinations demonstrating an incredible ability to bounce back,” he said.
“Its phenomenal array of attractions – from the Pyramids of Giza and the temples of Luxor to the diving and beaches of Sharm El Sheikh – will ensure that tourism remains integral to the evolution of the new Egypt.”
He added: “Hosting our Africa and Indian Ocean Ceremony in Sharm el Sheikh is a celebration of how travel and tourism is serving as a force for good and a catalyst for change.”
SOHO Square is a pedestrianised square-mile that features restaurants, entertainment facilities, nightclubs, bars, cafes and shops.
The square is part of the Savoy Group which operates three luxury Egypt hotels in the Red Sea Resort: the Royal Savoy and Villas, the Savoy Hotel and the awarding-winning Sierra Hotel.
During holidays to Egypt, guests staying at the three hotels can relax within luxurious accommodation and facilities and enjoy access to excellent snorkelling and scuba diving sites.
Chairman of the Savoy Sharm el Sheikh, Emad Aziz, said: “From the Mountains of Sinai to the shores of the Indian Ocean, hundreds of thousands of people in the hospitality and travel industry demonstrate day in and day out the unfailing welcome they offer.
“This region is becoming the most sought after destination for discerning travellers. We are proud of the achievements of all and celebrate the extraordinary examples of the winners of these, the most prestigious awards a hotel could receive.”
The World Travel Awards ceremony was celebrated ahead of World Tourism Day which will be hosted by the Egyptian city and holiday resort of Aswan on 27th September, 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
This boutique Nile Cruise combines old-world charm and sophistication with the luxury of modern amenities.
- With a limited number of suites and cabins this cruise offers an intimate and exclusive atmosphere of personal service and refined hospitality
- Unwind at the open-air oriental style Jacuzzi or chill in the elegant lounge
- Work on your tan from the spacious, scenic deck as you see 5,000 years of history unfold
Enjoy a memorable and romantic holiday in Egypt
- Benefit from the Sonesta Star Goddess Spa and enjoy a relaxing massage after a busy day of excursions
- Suites made for your comfortable stay with the best view
- Enjoy the swimming pool or relax on the sun deck where you can have a cocktail
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...