Egypt Honoured at World Travel Awards 2011 in SOHO Square
Egypt's resilient travel and tourism industry has been recognised at a World Travel Awards VIP gala ceremony at the SOHO Square in Sharm el Sheikh. Despite a turbulent year, travellers have continued to take Egypt holidays to cities all over the country.
Despite a turbulent year with political protests and riots, Egypt’s tourist organisations, attractions, hotels and resorts have triumphed at the recent VIP gala ceremony hosted by World Travel Awards 2011.
The World Travel Awards 2011 Africa and Indian Ocean ceremony was held at SOHO Square in Sharm el Sheikh, a premier diving, shopping and entertainment holiday destination. Several tourist attractions, hotels and travel organisations that cater for travellers taking Egypt holidays were honoured at the ceremony.
The Pyramids of Giza beat Victoria Falls, Serengeti National Park and Mount Kilimanjaro by winning “Africa’s Leading Attraction”; Sierra Resort Sharm el Sheikh was voted as “Egypt’s Leading All-inclusive Resort”; and Egypt Air won the award for “Africa’s Leading Business Class Airline”.
The prestigious event was attended by tourist board chiefs, government ministers, and chief executives of blue-chip travel companies who travelled to Egypt from Africa and the Indian Ocean to celebrate the awards. Media companies who also attended the ceremony included the National Geographic Traveller, Discovery Channel, Newsweek, Weltexpress and Times of India.
President of the World Travel Awards, Graham Cooke, highlighted the importance of Egypt holidays and the tourism sector as the country enters a new democratic system.
“Egypt is proving a textbook example of world-class destinations demonstrating an incredible ability to bounce back,” he said.
“Its phenomenal array of attractions – from the Pyramids of Giza and the temples of Luxor to the diving and beaches of Sharm El Sheikh – will ensure that tourism remains integral to the evolution of the new Egypt.”
He added: “Hosting our Africa and Indian Ocean Ceremony in Sharm el Sheikh is a celebration of how travel and tourism is serving as a force for good and a catalyst for change.”
SOHO Square is a pedestrianised square-mile that features restaurants, entertainment facilities, nightclubs, bars, cafes and shops.
The square is part of the Savoy Group which operates three luxury Egypt hotels in the Red Sea Resort: the Royal Savoy and Villas, the Savoy Hotel and the awarding-winning Sierra Hotel.
During holidays to Egypt, guests staying at the three hotels can relax within luxurious accommodation and facilities and enjoy access to excellent snorkelling and scuba diving sites.
Chairman of the Savoy Sharm el Sheikh, Emad Aziz, said: “From the Mountains of Sinai to the shores of the Indian Ocean, hundreds of thousands of people in the hospitality and travel industry demonstrate day in and day out the unfailing welcome they offer.
“This region is becoming the most sought after destination for discerning travellers. We are proud of the achievements of all and celebrate the extraordinary examples of the winners of these, the most prestigious awards a hotel could receive.”
The World Travel Awards ceremony was celebrated ahead of World Tourism Day which will be hosted by the Egyptian city and holiday resort of Aswan on 27th September, 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Luxor is one Egypt's most captivating cities, replete with historic monuments such as the ancient tombs of the Valley of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...