Egypt Honoured at World Travel Awards 2011 in SOHO Square
Egypt's resilient travel and tourism industry has been recognised at a World Travel Awards VIP gala ceremony at the SOHO Square in Sharm el Sheikh. Despite a turbulent year, travellers have continued to take Egypt holidays to cities all over the country.
Despite a turbulent year with political protests and riots, Egypt’s tourist organisations, attractions, hotels and resorts have triumphed at the recent VIP gala ceremony hosted by World Travel Awards 2011.
The World Travel Awards 2011 Africa and Indian Ocean ceremony was held at SOHO Square in Sharm el Sheikh, a premier diving, shopping and entertainment holiday destination. Several tourist attractions, hotels and travel organisations that cater for travellers taking Egypt holidays were honoured at the ceremony.
The Pyramids of Giza beat Victoria Falls, Serengeti National Park and Mount Kilimanjaro by winning “Africa’s Leading Attraction”; Sierra Resort Sharm el Sheikh was voted as “Egypt’s Leading All-inclusive Resort”; and Egypt Air won the award for “Africa’s Leading Business Class Airline”.
The prestigious event was attended by tourist board chiefs, government ministers, and chief executives of blue-chip travel companies who travelled to Egypt from Africa and the Indian Ocean to celebrate the awards. Media companies who also attended the ceremony included the National Geographic Traveller, Discovery Channel, Newsweek, Weltexpress and Times of India.
President of the World Travel Awards, Graham Cooke, highlighted the importance of Egypt holidays and the tourism sector as the country enters a new democratic system.
“Egypt is proving a textbook example of world-class destinations demonstrating an incredible ability to bounce back,” he said.
“Its phenomenal array of attractions – from the Pyramids of Giza and the temples of Luxor to the diving and beaches of Sharm El Sheikh – will ensure that tourism remains integral to the evolution of the new Egypt.”
He added: “Hosting our Africa and Indian Ocean Ceremony in Sharm el Sheikh is a celebration of how travel and tourism is serving as a force for good and a catalyst for change.”
SOHO Square is a pedestrianised square-mile that features restaurants, entertainment facilities, nightclubs, bars, cafes and shops.
The square is part of the Savoy Group which operates three luxury Egypt hotels in the Red Sea Resort: the Royal Savoy and Villas, the Savoy Hotel and the awarding-winning Sierra Hotel.
During holidays to Egypt, guests staying at the three hotels can relax within luxurious accommodation and facilities and enjoy access to excellent snorkelling and scuba diving sites.
Chairman of the Savoy Sharm el Sheikh, Emad Aziz, said: “From the Mountains of Sinai to the shores of the Indian Ocean, hundreds of thousands of people in the hospitality and travel industry demonstrate day in and day out the unfailing welcome they offer.
“This region is becoming the most sought after destination for discerning travellers. We are proud of the achievements of all and celebrate the extraordinary examples of the winners of these, the most prestigious awards a hotel could receive.”
The World Travel Awards ceremony was celebrated ahead of World Tourism Day which will be hosted by the Egyptian city and holiday resort of Aswan on 27th September, 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
The most popular choice for divers, snorkellers and water sports enthusiasts, this is a resort that has it all.
- Relax and spoil yourself at the health club with gym, steam room and sauna
- Benefit from the Kids' Club with daily activities, an entertainment centre and their own playground
- Ideal location beside a private beach just 15 minutes from Hurghada airport and 20 kilometres from the centre of Hurghada
Guests can enjoy a treatment in the spa, explore the area on horseback, or enjoy a round of golf.
- A historic hotel with a rich and colourful history, the Mena house is surrounded by 40 acres of gardens, just 700 metres from the Pyramids
- One of the few hotels in Cairo to offer a golf course
- Relax in the Sultan bar with a cocktail in hand, whilst looking out to the pyramids or enjoy informal dining in the Oasis, a poolside restaurant
Ideally located on the eastern bank of the Nile, the hotel offers an oasis of luxury with excellent facilities and beautiful views across the Nile
- This hotel is a haven of relaxation where you can lie back in a sun lounge immersed in one of the hotel's infinity pools or relax in a shaded hammock and take in the views
- There are seven restaurants and bars to chose from including the elegant Sunset Lounge and Terrace which serves cocktails and snacks as well as stunning sunset views
- The Hilton Luxor features contemporary guest rooms, excellent facilities and uninterrupted views across the Nile
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
Make the Egyptian city of Luxor your home for eight days as you discover the timeless treasures that make this country...
Start your holiday at Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Spoil yourself with an amazing historic holiday in the region of the Great Pyramids of Giza. Since 1869, the Mena House...