Egypt Honoured at World Travel Awards 2011 in SOHO Square
Egypt's resilient travel and tourism industry has been recognised at a World Travel Awards VIP gala ceremony at the SOHO Square in Sharm el Sheikh. Despite a turbulent year, travellers have continued to take Egypt holidays to cities all over the country.
Despite a turbulent year with political protests and riots, Egypt’s tourist organisations, attractions, hotels and resorts have triumphed at the recent VIP gala ceremony hosted by World Travel Awards 2011.
The World Travel Awards 2011 Africa and Indian Ocean ceremony was held at SOHO Square in Sharm el Sheikh, a premier diving, shopping and entertainment holiday destination. Several tourist attractions, hotels and travel organisations that cater for travellers taking Egypt holidays were honoured at the ceremony.
The Pyramids of Giza beat Victoria Falls, Serengeti National Park and Mount Kilimanjaro by winning “Africa’s Leading Attraction”; Sierra Resort Sharm el Sheikh was voted as “Egypt’s Leading All-inclusive Resort”; and Egypt Air won the award for “Africa’s Leading Business Class Airline”.
The prestigious event was attended by tourist board chiefs, government ministers, and chief executives of blue-chip travel companies who travelled to Egypt from Africa and the Indian Ocean to celebrate the awards. Media companies who also attended the ceremony included the National Geographic Traveller, Discovery Channel, Newsweek, Weltexpress and Times of India.
President of the World Travel Awards, Graham Cooke, highlighted the importance of Egypt holidays and the tourism sector as the country enters a new democratic system.
“Egypt is proving a textbook example of world-class destinations demonstrating an incredible ability to bounce back,” he said.
“Its phenomenal array of attractions – from the Pyramids of Giza and the temples of Luxor to the diving and beaches of Sharm El Sheikh – will ensure that tourism remains integral to the evolution of the new Egypt.”
He added: “Hosting our Africa and Indian Ocean Ceremony in Sharm el Sheikh is a celebration of how travel and tourism is serving as a force for good and a catalyst for change.”
SOHO Square is a pedestrianised square-mile that features restaurants, entertainment facilities, nightclubs, bars, cafes and shops.
The square is part of the Savoy Group which operates three luxury Egypt hotels in the Red Sea Resort: the Royal Savoy and Villas, the Savoy Hotel and the awarding-winning Sierra Hotel.
During holidays to Egypt, guests staying at the three hotels can relax within luxurious accommodation and facilities and enjoy access to excellent snorkelling and scuba diving sites.
Chairman of the Savoy Sharm el Sheikh, Emad Aziz, said: “From the Mountains of Sinai to the shores of the Indian Ocean, hundreds of thousands of people in the hospitality and travel industry demonstrate day in and day out the unfailing welcome they offer.
“This region is becoming the most sought after destination for discerning travellers. We are proud of the achievements of all and celebrate the extraordinary examples of the winners of these, the most prestigious awards a hotel could receive.”
The World Travel Awards ceremony was celebrated ahead of World Tourism Day which will be hosted by the Egyptian city and holiday resort of Aswan on 27th September, 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
The ultimate Egyptian backdrop in the shadow of the only remaining ancient wonder of the world.
- Indulge the mind, body and spirit in Indulge spa. Take advantage of the steam room, sauna, whirlpool and chill out zones
- Set in landscaped gardens, equipped with two heated swimming pools and bar, Le Meridien enjoys spectacular views of the Pyramids, just a short drive from Cairo
- World famous dining with international, Mexican and Oriental menus to be savoured
Enjoy a fun-filled stay on King's Island in the Nile River, with plenty of activities on offer at the hotel as well as being only a 10 minute drive away from Luxor downtown
- Cocktails, beverages and light meals are served in the lounge and drinks on deck until sun set
- Great selection of bars and restaurants, with everything from buffet to fine French cuisine, plus the Fellah Tent provides an overview of Oriental traditions
- Leisure facilities include two large swimming pools with waterfalls, separate children's pool and an adults only pool, plus floodlit tennis courts, a jogging track, fishing, an air conditioned gym and more!
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
Now you can stop imagining how it would be to visit the cradle of mankind and paddle along the legendary River Nile and...
Venture to the land of the Pharaohs of yore for an unforgettable eight days of leisure and adventure. Luxor is one of...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...