The cost of Caribbean holidays discussed in CTO conference
Delegates of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) attended the inaugural State of the Industry Conference, held last week in St Martin. Professor Avinash Persaud, among other businessmen, were discussing the price of Caribbean holidays.
The city of St Martin in Barbados was the proud host of the Caribbean’s opening State of the Industry Conference last week. Delegates of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) attended the event and Professor Avinash Persaud shared his point of view on the most pressing matter: the high cost of Caribbean holidays, and the consequences it would bring the industry on today's current, highly susceptible tourism market.
Professor Avinash Persaud, a finance and public policy expert from Barbados made his opinion clear by pitching his presentation: The Caribbean’s Reality Check. Persaud concentrated on exposing the risks that the Caribbean tourism sector is currently facing, and how to keep it from losing to competition.
Persaud, Chairman of Four Seasons Resort and Private Residences in Barbados, felt it was essential to warn the delegates about the pressing need of of transforming Caribbean tourism’s current business plan, in order to overcome the competition and make holidays in the Caribbean one of the most popular traveller choices again. “Caribbean tourism is at risk of going the way of the sugar industry. We let our competition invest more in service quality, environmental management and safety,” Mr Persaud said.
Delegates taking part in the conference included Caribbean ministers, commissioners and directors of tourism, the head of the World Travel and Tourism Council, David Scowsill, and the British High Commissioner to Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, Paul Brummel.
“But it is too easy to lay the responsibility at the door of the government. It is our owners who lack commercial hunger, ill-invest and wait for someone to buy them out,” Persaud explained. He insists on modifying business strategies concerning Caribbean hotels and resorts and raising hotel management level. “If running a hotel is less profitable than selling a condominium, that says more about the quality of our management and labour than it does about our airlift and taxes,” he continued.
The professor has a reputation for developing various concepts, including liquidity black holes, investor’s changing appetite for risk, and the role of variety in liquidity and total risk control. Persaud is just one of the many delegates in the impressive line-up of speakers that shared their opinion at the conference.
The main goal of the State of the Industry Conference in St Martin, is to prevent the Caribbean tourism industry from collapsing and to encourage improvement. This conference, organised in collaboration with the St Martin Tourist Office, gathered tourism interests from the public and private sectors to undertake a series of critical issues. Among these we can find: overcoming obstacles to intra-regional travel, how to make the best use of limited resources and how to grab the attention of wealthy visitors wishing to spend luxury holidays in the Caribbean.
This conference is a wake-up call for the regional tourism sector, which needs to take a step forward and become more competitive in order to sell more Caribbean holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...