The cost of Caribbean holidays discussed in CTO conference
Delegates of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) attended the inaugural State of the Industry Conference, held last week in St Martin. Professor Avinash Persaud, among other businessmen, were discussing the price of Caribbean holidays.
The city of St Martin in Barbados was the proud host of the Caribbean’s opening State of the Industry Conference last week. Delegates of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) attended the event and Professor Avinash Persaud shared his point of view on the most pressing matter: the high cost of Caribbean holidays, and the consequences it would bring the industry on today's current, highly susceptible tourism market.
Professor Avinash Persaud, a finance and public policy expert from Barbados made his opinion clear by pitching his presentation: The Caribbean’s Reality Check. Persaud concentrated on exposing the risks that the Caribbean tourism sector is currently facing, and how to keep it from losing to competition.
Persaud, Chairman of Four Seasons Resort and Private Residences in Barbados, felt it was essential to warn the delegates about the pressing need of of transforming Caribbean tourism’s current business plan, in order to overcome the competition and make holidays in the Caribbean one of the most popular traveller choices again. “Caribbean tourism is at risk of going the way of the sugar industry. We let our competition invest more in service quality, environmental management and safety,” Mr Persaud said.
Delegates taking part in the conference included Caribbean ministers, commissioners and directors of tourism, the head of the World Travel and Tourism Council, David Scowsill, and the British High Commissioner to Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, Paul Brummel.
“But it is too easy to lay the responsibility at the door of the government. It is our owners who lack commercial hunger, ill-invest and wait for someone to buy them out,” Persaud explained. He insists on modifying business strategies concerning Caribbean hotels and resorts and raising hotel management level. “If running a hotel is less profitable than selling a condominium, that says more about the quality of our management and labour than it does about our airlift and taxes,” he continued.
The professor has a reputation for developing various concepts, including liquidity black holes, investor’s changing appetite for risk, and the role of variety in liquidity and total risk control. Persaud is just one of the many delegates in the impressive line-up of speakers that shared their opinion at the conference.
The main goal of the State of the Industry Conference in St Martin, is to prevent the Caribbean tourism industry from collapsing and to encourage improvement. This conference, organised in collaboration with the St Martin Tourist Office, gathered tourism interests from the public and private sectors to undertake a series of critical issues. Among these we can find: overcoming obstacles to intra-regional travel, how to make the best use of limited resources and how to grab the attention of wealthy visitors wishing to spend luxury holidays in the Caribbean.
This conference is a wake-up call for the regional tourism sector, which needs to take a step forward and become more competitive in order to sell more Caribbean holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Stay in pure paradise at a beautiful 25-acre property, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
- Adults Only All Inclusive
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa
- Relax and unwind upon paradisiacal beaches
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...