The cost of Caribbean holidays discussed in CTO conference
Delegates of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) attended the inaugural State of the Industry Conference, held last week in St Martin. Professor Avinash Persaud, among other businessmen, were discussing the price of Caribbean holidays.
The city of St Martin in Barbados was the proud host of the Caribbean’s opening State of the Industry Conference last week. Delegates of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) attended the event and Professor Avinash Persaud shared his point of view on the most pressing matter: the high cost of Caribbean holidays, and the consequences it would bring the industry on today's current, highly susceptible tourism market.
Professor Avinash Persaud, a finance and public policy expert from Barbados made his opinion clear by pitching his presentation: The Caribbean’s Reality Check. Persaud concentrated on exposing the risks that the Caribbean tourism sector is currently facing, and how to keep it from losing to competition.
Persaud, Chairman of Four Seasons Resort and Private Residences in Barbados, felt it was essential to warn the delegates about the pressing need of of transforming Caribbean tourism’s current business plan, in order to overcome the competition and make holidays in the Caribbean one of the most popular traveller choices again. “Caribbean tourism is at risk of going the way of the sugar industry. We let our competition invest more in service quality, environmental management and safety,” Mr Persaud said.
Delegates taking part in the conference included Caribbean ministers, commissioners and directors of tourism, the head of the World Travel and Tourism Council, David Scowsill, and the British High Commissioner to Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, Paul Brummel.
“But it is too easy to lay the responsibility at the door of the government. It is our owners who lack commercial hunger, ill-invest and wait for someone to buy them out,” Persaud explained. He insists on modifying business strategies concerning Caribbean hotels and resorts and raising hotel management level. “If running a hotel is less profitable than selling a condominium, that says more about the quality of our management and labour than it does about our airlift and taxes,” he continued.
The professor has a reputation for developing various concepts, including liquidity black holes, investor’s changing appetite for risk, and the role of variety in liquidity and total risk control. Persaud is just one of the many delegates in the impressive line-up of speakers that shared their opinion at the conference.
The main goal of the State of the Industry Conference in St Martin, is to prevent the Caribbean tourism industry from collapsing and to encourage improvement. This conference, organised in collaboration with the St Martin Tourist Office, gathered tourism interests from the public and private sectors to undertake a series of critical issues. Among these we can find: overcoming obstacles to intra-regional travel, how to make the best use of limited resources and how to grab the attention of wealthy visitors wishing to spend luxury holidays in the Caribbean.
This conference is a wake-up call for the regional tourism sector, which needs to take a step forward and become more competitive in order to sell more Caribbean holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...