China boosts Caribbean economies with $1 billion in loans
Chinese officials met with Caribbean authorities last Monday in order to discuss the valuable offer of $1 billion in loans. China intends to help Caribbean economy by pitching new projects and investments that will also boost the Caribbean holidays market
Chinese tourism officials met with Caribbean authorities last Monday in Port of Spain, capital of Trinidad and Tobago. During the meeting, China announced it would provide Caribbean countries with $1 billion in loans to finance new infrastructure projects, making business ties between China and the Caribbean considerably stronger.
Wang Qishan, China’s Vice Premier, told Chinese and Caribbean officials in Port of Spain, that loans would become available through the sate-run China Development Bank. “China cannot develop itself in isolation of the world and the world needs China for its development,” he stated. One of the main sources of financial income for Caribbean countries is the tourism sector. These projects will help sustain and recover their economies as Caribbean holidays become less popular due to their increasingly higher costs.
The U.S. and Europe, both traditional sources of tourists and investments to these countries, have now reduced their usually high number of visitors and investors due to the global financial crisis. Meanwhile, China seizes the opportunity to carry out a business scheme, planned in Beijing. By providing these loans and investments, China seeks natural resources and political influence in the developing world, from Africa to Latin America.
Even though the amount of loans and investments made by China in the Caribbean are still significantly smaller than their multibillion-dollar investments in places like Africa, it could go a long way in helping the region’s fragile economy at the present time and give a much-needed boost to Caribbean holidays. Wang says that trade between China and the Caribbean had grown annually by 24%, reaching $7.2 billion in 2010. The terms of the loans were discussed in the two-day-long reunion that began last Monday in Port of Spain.
China is also taking an active interest in countries like the Dominican Republic, Jamaica and Cuba. As for the first, China is planning to invest over $400 million to restart a stalled beachfront resort project, which will attract more tourists to Dominican Republic holidays.
In Jamaica’s case, China has already invested more than $1 billion in one of the most important ports, a conference centre, highway projects and a cricket stadium. Jamaica’s Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett admits China’s growing bonds with the Caribbean by stating that “China has become an important source of foreign direct investment for us.”
Cuba is, and has been for a considerable amount of time, China’s main training partner in the Caribbean. Orlando Hernandez Guillen, Vice Minister of Trade and Investment of Cuba, stated his satisfaction with the recent meeting. “China represents hope for the poorest nations of the world and its impressive development springs from its own resources... not exploiting or pillaging other nations” he explained.
Chinese influence and involvement in Cuba is more noticeable by the day, not only do the Chinese invest in resort projects to aid the Cuban tourism sector, and heighten the income Cuba holidays provide to the country’s fragile economy, but they also supply Cuba with Chinese-made goods that go from buses to every-day household items.
A unit of China National Petroleum Corporation is participating in a $6 billion project to enlarge and improve an oil refinery in the Cuban city of Cienfuegos. The plan includes the construction of a liquefied natural gas terminal. China also benefits from these exchanges with Cuba; they buy nickel, sugar and other Cuban products and they produce pharmaceuticals together.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...