China boosts Caribbean economies with $1 billion in loans
Chinese officials met with Caribbean authorities last Monday in order to discuss the valuable offer of $1 billion in loans. China intends to help Caribbean economy by pitching new projects and investments that will also boost the Caribbean holidays market
Chinese tourism officials met with Caribbean authorities last Monday in Port of Spain, capital of Trinidad and Tobago. During the meeting, China announced it would provide Caribbean countries with $1 billion in loans to finance new infrastructure projects, making business ties between China and the Caribbean considerably stronger.
Wang Qishan, China’s Vice Premier, told Chinese and Caribbean officials in Port of Spain, that loans would become available through the sate-run China Development Bank. “China cannot develop itself in isolation of the world and the world needs China for its development,” he stated. One of the main sources of financial income for Caribbean countries is the tourism sector. These projects will help sustain and recover their economies as Caribbean holidays become less popular due to their increasingly higher costs.
The U.S. and Europe, both traditional sources of tourists and investments to these countries, have now reduced their usually high number of visitors and investors due to the global financial crisis. Meanwhile, China seizes the opportunity to carry out a business scheme, planned in Beijing. By providing these loans and investments, China seeks natural resources and political influence in the developing world, from Africa to Latin America.
Even though the amount of loans and investments made by China in the Caribbean are still significantly smaller than their multibillion-dollar investments in places like Africa, it could go a long way in helping the region’s fragile economy at the present time and give a much-needed boost to Caribbean holidays. Wang says that trade between China and the Caribbean had grown annually by 24%, reaching $7.2 billion in 2010. The terms of the loans were discussed in the two-day-long reunion that began last Monday in Port of Spain.
China is also taking an active interest in countries like the Dominican Republic, Jamaica and Cuba. As for the first, China is planning to invest over $400 million to restart a stalled beachfront resort project, which will attract more tourists to Dominican Republic holidays.
In Jamaica’s case, China has already invested more than $1 billion in one of the most important ports, a conference centre, highway projects and a cricket stadium. Jamaica’s Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett admits China’s growing bonds with the Caribbean by stating that “China has become an important source of foreign direct investment for us.”
Cuba is, and has been for a considerable amount of time, China’s main training partner in the Caribbean. Orlando Hernandez Guillen, Vice Minister of Trade and Investment of Cuba, stated his satisfaction with the recent meeting. “China represents hope for the poorest nations of the world and its impressive development springs from its own resources... not exploiting or pillaging other nations” he explained.
Chinese influence and involvement in Cuba is more noticeable by the day, not only do the Chinese invest in resort projects to aid the Cuban tourism sector, and heighten the income Cuba holidays provide to the country’s fragile economy, but they also supply Cuba with Chinese-made goods that go from buses to every-day household items.
A unit of China National Petroleum Corporation is participating in a $6 billion project to enlarge and improve an oil refinery in the Cuban city of Cienfuegos. The plan includes the construction of a liquefied natural gas terminal. China also benefits from these exchanges with Cuba; they buy nickel, sugar and other Cuban products and they produce pharmaceuticals together.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Under 17's Stay, Play and Eat free at this magnificent resort sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge worth $1400
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...