Egypt to continue to grant visas to tourists after legislation u-turn
Egypt has decided to axe a proposed regulation that would require tourists taking Egypt holidays to obtain a visa prior to their arrival in the country. Tourism Minister Munir Fakhri Abdel Nur said the proposal would have a negative effect on tourism.
A proposed regulation which would require tourists visiting Egypt to obtain a visa prior to travelling has been axed in an attempt to welcome more visitors to the country.
Egypt officials have made a u-turn on the proposal and tourism officials have promised that travellers taking holidays in the country will continue to be granted visas upon arrival as has been the norm for years.
The country’s Tourism Minister, Munir Fakhri Abdel Nur, stated that the proposal would be cancelled as it is believed to have “serious negative consequences on tourism to Egypt.”
The current regulations enable tourists taking holidays to Egypt to obtain an entry visa at any of the major airports and sea ports in the country as long as they have a valid passport.
The World Travel Awards, widely known as the “Oscars of the travel industry”, will highlight the growth of African and Indian Ocean tourist destinations despite turbulent economic times for many key source markets across the globe, such as Europe and the United States. The awards honour the best holiday destinations, airlines, hotels, tour operators, and many more organisations the travel and tourism industry.
World Tourism Day will be celebrated in Aswan, one of Egypt’s leading holiday destinations, under the theme: “Tourism – Linking Cultures”.
Last week, Mounir Fakhri Abdel-Nour, said: “We are very honoured to be hosting the official celebrations of World Tourism Day 2011 in Egypt. Tourism is one of the most important sectors of our society, representing 12% of our GDP in 2010 and responsible for one in every seven jobs. World Tourism Day is an excellent opportunity to raise awareness around the world of this vital economic sector and its contribution to social, economic and environmental well-being worldwide and in Egypt in particular.”
Mr Abdel-Nour has invited the media, private and public tourism stakeholders, academics, tourism ministers, and heads of tourism associations from countries across the world to participate in this important annual event. Attendees will have the chance to discover the marvel of the ancient country during their stay in Egypt where they will stay at luxury Egypt hotels and visit the country’s collection of impressive attractions such as the River Nile, the Pyramids and the Aswan Dam.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
Ideal for those who love the sun and sea with its own private beach and marina, a professional diving centre, a water sports centre and swimming pools.
- A prime location, beside a lovely sandy beach, just minutes from buzz of downtown Hurghada
- Kids can enjoy their own kids' club and pool, whilst adults can play tennis, squash or beach volleyball
- Guests can unwind and enjoy the magnificent view from their private balcony
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Seize this opportunity to explore the mystical land of Egypt as you spend a week next to the shores of the mighty Red...