Egypt to continue to grant visas to tourists after legislation u-turn
Egypt has decided to axe a proposed regulation that would require tourists taking Egypt holidays to obtain a visa prior to their arrival in the country. Tourism Minister Munir Fakhri Abdel Nur said the proposal would have a negative effect on tourism.
A proposed regulation which would require tourists visiting Egypt to obtain a visa prior to travelling has been axed in an attempt to welcome more visitors to the country.
Egypt officials have made a u-turn on the proposal and tourism officials have promised that travellers taking holidays in the country will continue to be granted visas upon arrival as has been the norm for years.
The country’s Tourism Minister, Munir Fakhri Abdel Nur, stated that the proposal would be cancelled as it is believed to have “serious negative consequences on tourism to Egypt.”
The current regulations enable tourists taking holidays to Egypt to obtain an entry visa at any of the major airports and sea ports in the country as long as they have a valid passport.
The World Travel Awards, widely known as the “Oscars of the travel industry”, will highlight the growth of African and Indian Ocean tourist destinations despite turbulent economic times for many key source markets across the globe, such as Europe and the United States. The awards honour the best holiday destinations, airlines, hotels, tour operators, and many more organisations the travel and tourism industry.
World Tourism Day will be celebrated in Aswan, one of Egypt’s leading holiday destinations, under the theme: “Tourism – Linking Cultures”.
Last week, Mounir Fakhri Abdel-Nour, said: “We are very honoured to be hosting the official celebrations of World Tourism Day 2011 in Egypt. Tourism is one of the most important sectors of our society, representing 12% of our GDP in 2010 and responsible for one in every seven jobs. World Tourism Day is an excellent opportunity to raise awareness around the world of this vital economic sector and its contribution to social, economic and environmental well-being worldwide and in Egypt in particular.”
Mr Abdel-Nour has invited the media, private and public tourism stakeholders, academics, tourism ministers, and heads of tourism associations from countries across the world to participate in this important annual event. Attendees will have the chance to discover the marvel of the ancient country during their stay in Egypt where they will stay at luxury Egypt hotels and visit the country’s collection of impressive attractions such as the River Nile, the Pyramids and the Aswan Dam.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy an Egyptian holiday of a lifetime, exploring Cairo and Luxor along with a fantastic cruise included
Stay in Cairo, Luxor and journey through the nile on a fantastic Cruise, given you the chance to discover Egypt
- Steigenberger Hotel Nile Palace is set in the heart of Luxor, close to the Temple of Luxor and with a magnificent position right on the banks of the River Nile.
- Ms Royal Viking is a smart, sophisticated ambience with all amenities included for that relaxing sail along the ancient River Nile
- Le Meridien Pyramids is set in landscaped gardens, equipped with two heated swimming pools and bar, Le Meridien enjoys spectacular views of the Pyramids, just a short drive from Cairo.
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
Enjoy a Wonderfully Relaxing Holiday with a wide range of activities
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £249pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
M/S Royal Viking Itinerary (7 nights) Day One (Monday) Meet & assist al Luxor airport by our local representative....
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...